What's new

Suggestions for a 1st Time Progress User

I just received a Merkur Progress. Thanks, Joel in Northbrook. I have never used any kind of adjustable razor and do not know what setting to begin with. I usually use either a 1953 or a 1954 Superspeed and have used a Slant Bar but I am going to put that away until my technique improves. What setting should I start with?

I assume that setting one is the least aggressive and five is the highest. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

As the numbers on a progress rarely line up, you may have to rely more on a feel and less on a visual. Start out with it tightened all of the way down and then open it up a quarter of a turn at a time.

As far as what setting to use, everyone is a little bit different. I would recommend starting out with 1 quarter of a turn and then advance from there as necessary.

Kyle said:
As the numbers on a progress rarely line up, you may have to rely more on a feel and less on a visual. Start out with it tightened all of the way down and then open it up a quarter of a turn at a time.

As far as what setting to use, everyone is a little bit different. I would recommend starting out with 1 quarter of a turn and then advance from there as necessary.

My progress used to line up till I did my knob mod now they're are 180 degrees off. So I have to mount the head that way also.
They're right start tightened down then loosen her up a bit at a time.

Top Bottom