What's new

Suggested Aftershave or Cologne

Hello all,
I am new to the good ole' wet shave. I am looking for suggestions on what type of aftershave or cologne I should pick. I have sensitive skin, and prefer a sweeter scent, but not lime. Is Bay Rum a good idea?

You might get more help regarding aftershaves on the aftershave board. This board is more dedicated to fragrances (or generically referred to as cologne) which is generally a stronger scent than aftershave and you do not apply it to your face, but rather your neck, chest, etc.

Bay Rum is generally not considered a "sweet" scent. Do you have any experience with fragrances? You will get better suggestions if you can be a little more specific in regards to what you are looking for.

I use both daily. I have a few colognes in the rotation but for sure my favorite is the Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Women love it and it lasts long with a distinct fragrance without being overpowering. For the aftershave check out Game Day: Aftershave Soothing Balm. Instantly cools and soothes the skin with no burn.

SCS new spice is a nice sweet scent. Also Alt Innsbruck but has menthol so maybe not for sensitive skin however it is storng scet you could use as a cologne.
Caswell massey no 6 has a sweet base to it.

TOBS Jermyn St. A/S is for sensetive skin and is quite sweet IMHO. Leaves my face feeling quite nice and has good longevity for an A/S.

You might get more help regarding aftershaves on the aftershave board. This board is more dedicated to fragrances (or generically referred to as cologne) which is generally a stronger scent than aftershave and you do not apply it to your face, but rather your neck, chest, etc.

Bay Rum is generally not considered a "sweet" scent. Do you have any experience with fragrances? You will get better suggestions if you can be a little more specific in regards to what you are looking for.

+1. Alt Insbruck has a sweet smell to me, and it is very popular here. Not sure if it would be great for sensitive skin, but you could get a sample of it easily from Garry' sample shop and give it a whirl.

Totally agree w/ Joejitsu...Canoe.. Used it on and off since the 60"s My wife went to France and got me a HUGH bottle which lasted for years :)

Didn't realize until after I had written my response to this thread that it was a year old, but for anyone interested in my take on skin sensitivity...

If I understand correctly, you are looking for a fragrance with a sweeter smell whether aftershave or cologne and you have sensitive skin. In general, fragrances are not going to be good for sensitive skin.

"Fragrance in personal-care products is the second most common cause of allergic skin reaction (after nickel in jewelry) and the most common cause of reactions from personal-care products"
http://www.besthealthmag.ca/get-healthy/health/fragrance-sensitivity

Perhaps you should consider using a relatively fragrance-free aftershave on your skin and then try applying a fragrance to your clothing or your hair. I have sensitive skin and my dermatologist recommended I use Cera Ve lotion for my skin. For applying fragrances here is my regime; after washing my hair I will put a couple squirts of the unscented lotion in palm of my hand, add a single spray of my favorite fragrance, place palms together, mix it up a little then spread this mixture through my hair, making certain not to massage it into the scalp. I prefer this method over spraying my clothing. One thing I didn't like about spraying clothing is that some fragrances will stay in your clothing for days, fragrances will often turn powdery and feminine after a while and this is the fragrance that lingers on clothing.

If you are looking for an aftershave for sensitive skin, try those made from natural ingredients, you may find a good selection in the aftershave forum. I am not a fan of sweet fragrances so I can't provide you any help with that part.

Top Bottom