What's new

Suggest soft feeling not scratchy shaving brushes for shaving head and face

Synthetic’s don’t hold water or absorb like a boar or badger. The Omega boar brushes 10049 and 10098 are excellent that is particularly soft once broken in.

They can be broken in very quickly and the 27mm knot should give good coverage on your head.

Synthetics and whittips. I have an Omega 632 that is very soft but pretty small at 22mm. Also an Omega 627 silvertip that is a nice size at 24mm and incredibly soft.

My omega 48 is a huge boar brush that really works up a lather. I’m temoted to get s Simpson’s chubby 1 in super also.

For me a Tuxedo synthetic brush is a really good one - soft, dense and has backbone. I'd go for the 28mm Yaqi. I just bought one off Ali Express sand I love it. It took 10 days to arrive and was really good value. Even if you also buy a different one I'd still get this and put it in your rotation.

Synthetic’s don’t hold water or absorb like a boar or badger. The Omega boar brushes 10049 and 10098 are excellent that is particularly soft once broken in.

They can be broken in very quickly and the 27mm knot should give good coverage on your head.
What is meaning of break in? Can’t I just start using the brush straight from the packaging! I really have no idea as I have never used a shaving brush.
How do you break in a boar brush?
Btw is hog and boar same?
I really need to know the correct way to shave using a shaving brush of any kind.
Thanks so much.

What is meaning of break in? Can’t I just start using the brush straight from the packaging! I really have no idea as I have never used a shaving brush.
How do you break in a boar brush?
Btw is hog and boar same?
I really need to know the correct way to shave using a shaving brush of any kind.
Thanks so much.

With boar brushes you start using them right away but after about a month of use the ends of the bristles split and the brush becomes substantially softer. You just use them as you normally would to break them in. This is something that only happens with boar brushes as synthetic and badger bristles don't split like this.

The boar or badger brush may also have a scent when you get the brush. Think of the scent of a wet dog. This will also go away completely with use. Dish soap then a quick soap in some oxyclean will speed the process as well. The cheaper the brush the more likely you are to get some scent with it. The really expensive ones are expected to be pretty much scent free.

The Boar bristles come from Boars or hogs as you put it, so same thing there.

Synthetic and Boar brushes are going to be fairly cheap at around the 25 dollar range. Badger brushes can be several hundred for the higher end ones but they are (in my opinion) a bit more luxurious. The cheapest badgers are going to present some scritch or be overly floppy.

If you've going to be shaving your head and face maybe opt for a bigger knot. So think 28 to 30mm so that it'll hold enough soap and you don't have to repeat the lathering process half way though. For just your face maybe 24 to 26mm would be a solid choice for a three pass shave.

With boar brushes you start using them right away but after about a month of use the ends of the bristles split and the brush becomes substantially softer. You just use them as you normally would to break them in. This is something that only happens with boar brushes as synthetic and badger bristles don't split like this.

The boar or badger brush may also have a scent when you get the brush. Think of the scent of a wet dog. This will also go away completely with use. Dish soap then a quick soap in some oxyclean will speed the process as well. The cheaper the brush the more likely you are to get some scent with it. The really expensive ones are expected to be pretty much scent free.

The Boar bristles come from Boars or hogs as you put it, so same thing there.

Synthetic and Boar brushes are going to be fairly cheap at around the 25 dollar range. Badger brushes can be several hundred for the higher end ones but they are (in my opinion) a bit more luxurious. The cheapest badgers are going to present some scritch or be overly floppy.

If you've going to be shaving your head and face maybe opt for a bigger knot. So think 28 to 30mm so that it'll hold enough soap and you don't have to repeat the lathering process half way though. For just your face maybe 24 to 26mm would be a solid choice for a three pass shave.
Ends of the boar bristles split after a month? You mean the ends break off? And I have then have to discard them?
How is this brush someone recommended?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V40IS2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZVQLLTVWBGUR&psc=1

The hair ends split vertically along the shaft in 2, like the end of a snakes tongue. So a single bristle will have 2 finer ends, they become very soft this way.

Once the bristles are wet they are flexible, supple and able to lather for decades without damage or breaking. Just take care of them.
Dry bristles will break under continued load or not cared for regularly.

Last edited:
The hair ends split vertically along the shaft in 2, like the end of a snakes tongue. So a single bristle will have 2 finer ends, they become very soft this way.
How long does this take? So to speed this up, I soak the boar bristles in dish soap warm or cold water for how long? But I can use boar hog brush straight on my head? And face?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ends of the boar bristles split after a month? You mean the ends break off? And I have then have to discard them?

See my Omega boar below. Notice how white the tips are.

IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2347.jpg

It took six months of every other day shaving to get that brush broken in. Those tips are as soft as my Silvertip badger and nearly as soft as my Maggard synthetic. I think, that when the entire knot turns white like that the brush would be worn out, but that would take many years.

There is a process where the new brush is left soaked in water (half of the bristles covered) and left in the refrigerator for 24 hours. You then remove/squeeze most of the water from the brush and then work the brush semi aggressively onto a towel for about 10 min. As the cold bristle ends dry out during this process they start to split.

This worked well for me, I did 3 cycles in 2 days and was very happy with the results.

Top Bottom