What's new

Suggest a Vetiver puck

I would second MdC Vétyver. Nice “single note” Haitian vetiver.

Used the Ethos Vetivert this morning and the soap scent is very muted (as one reviewer said “it smells just like soap”). The Ethos F base is phenomenal and I’ll probably keep it around just to keep using the soap base, but I honestly wouldn’t buy it just for the scent. The scent notes do come through nicely in the matching skin food splash.

May seem like an odd recommendation but I’d say chiseled face cedar and spice. It has a very predominant vetiver scent to it

Eufros Vetiver de Haiti is a great one for me. Wonderful EO scent. Manuel’s most recent formula is fantastic and a bit underrated these days.

There is a lot of hype right now for Ethos, B&M Omnibus and some other new bases. All are great but the lather, scents and post from Eufros still reign supreme for me.

2587E666-C1AF-4ECA-92EB-5ED4AF7BD8A9.jpeg

So far Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver is my favorite, but I decided to try something new and ordered a Vetiver soap from Lisa's Naural Herbal Creations. I've used some of her soaps before and enjoyed them, so I'm now waiting for delivery on her Vetiver soap.

Let us know how you like the LNHC Vetiver.

I've been considering a purchase of it.
I received the LNHC Vetiver and shaved with it this morning. While the scent is pleasant, I find it to be very faint. I had some email correspondence with Lisa, and she plans to "kick it up a notch or two on the next batch". The performance of the soap is excellent, so maybe wait for the next batch if you're looking for a somewhat more robust vetiver scent. This version reminds me of Haslinger's Aloe Vera soap. It's a completely different scent, but it's a subtle scent paired with excellent performance. I just ordered a puck of Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver.

Reactions: jmd
Thanks for the feedback.

I kind of prefer my scents to be on the stronger side. So I'll hold off on this for the 2nd batch.

Performance with LNHC shave soaps has always been great.

The original base was a solid performer that punched above its price IMO.

The premium barbershop is one of my favorite scents and don't mind paying a few extra $$s for.

Look forward to trying the platinum base as it's priced in between in the near future.

Reactions: jmd
I would second MdC Vétyver. Nice “single note” Haitian vetiver.

Used the Ethos Vetivert this morning…

…The scent notes do come through nicely in the matching skin food splash.

Question: since you seem to have experience with both, would you pair the Ethos Vetivert splash with the MdC Vetyver soap?

The Ethos is going to have a citrus component that ths MdC doesnt have, but maybe it could work?

always hard to find a good AS match to MdC soaps…

Question: since you seem to have experience with both, would you pair the Ethos Vetivert splash with the MdC Vetyver soap?

The Ethos is going to have a citrus component that ths MdC doesnt have, but maybe it could work?

always hard to find a good AS match to MdC soaps…
Short answer: Yes. The base notes of vetiver in the Vetivert Splash will be highlighted and accented by the MdC Vétyver.

Longer answer: I find the citrus oils in the Vetivert splash really dominate early on, and I don’t even really notice the vetiver component until things have dried down a bit. Once everything has settled down the vetiver is subtle, but lasts for many hours on my skin. I find this works well for me, because my regular go to EdP is Creed Original Vetiver. The two somewhat blend (though I prefer the top notes/opening to the Creed and find they can conflict if you use them too close together). The Vétyver from MdC is just so nice that it helps to reinforce both scents and boost that vetiver note without causing conflict or upsetting the balance for me.

Short answer: Yes. The base notes of vetiver in the Vetivert Splash will be highlighted and accented by the MdC Vétyver.

Longer answer: I find the citrus oils in the Vetivert splash really dominate early on, and I don’t even really notice the vetiver component until things have dried down a bit. Once everything has settled down the vetiver is subtle, but lasts for many hours on my skin. I find this works well for me, because my regular go to EdP is Creed Original Vetiver. The two somewhat blend (though I prefer the top notes/opening to the Creed and find they can conflict if you use them too close together). The Vétyver from MdC is just so nice that it helps to reinforce both scents and boost that vetiver note without causing conflict or upsetting the balance for me.
This is about what i would expect, regarding the citrus components to the Ethos splash.

But I did order one up.
The description from Ethos sounds pleasant, and even if not a *perfect* match to the MdC soap,
it sounds like it will compliment it well-enough.

Thank you for your input.
Very helpful...

But I did order one up.
The description from Ethos sounds pleasant, and even if not a *perfect* match to the MdC soap,
it sounds like it will compliment it well-enough.
Let us know how it works out for you!
Even if the scent doesn’t work, I really like the Ethos Skin Food Splash and how it leaves my face feeling all day.

Received my new Haymarket Vetiver from Shannon's Soaps and had my first shave with it this morning. This is still one of my favorite soaps overall, and my favorite vetiver out of the three or four I've tried.

Let us know how it works out for you!
Even if the scent doesn’t work, I really like the Ethos Skin Food Splash and how it leaves my face feeling all day.
Had a shave with it yesterday.

Very well-described on your part. Although very pleasant, much too citrus forward to call the Ethos a “perfect match”. The search continues…

DID find a very nice AS Splash to match MdC Fogure, however. The Le Pere Lucien Fogure is made to pair with the MdC, it seems. Highly recommended.

Le Pere Lucien did (or still does?) make a Vetiver AS splash - but I cant find it offered for sale anywhere in the USA. Anyone has a bead on this? Let me know… thanks!

DID find a very nice AS Splash to match MdC Fogure, however. The Le Pere Lucien Fogure is made to pair with the MdC, it seems. Highly recommended.
Nice. Thanks for the recommendation.

Le Pere Lucien did (or still does?) make a Vetiver AS splash - but I cant find it offered for sale anywhere in the USA. Anyone has a bead on this?
Sadly I’m no help here. Declaration Grooming just re-released “Dirtyver” with a matching AS splash. The soap has a bit of citrus up front, but is more Vétyver forward than the Ethos. Perhaps this splash (though I haven’t tried it myself).

Kinda disappointed in the smell though. It smells more of what I know as sandalwood. I guess I don't know what vetiver is.
It's a root. What surprises me is that while I know a lot about the plant itself, I didn't know the name in English was the same as it is in mother tongue Tamil, hence didn't know it was used in perfumes and soaps. It literally means 'dug up root', so don't be surprised if it's stronger or earthier than you might expect.

It's very common around my wife's hometown and my mother-in-law uses the dried roots as a kind of potpourri around the house. If you're set on using strong vetiver soaps, better use a neutral aftershave.

I received the LNHC Vetiver and shaved with it this morning. While the scent is pleasant, I find it to be very faint. I had some email correspondence with Lisa, and she plans to "kick it up a notch or two on the next batch". The performance of the soap is excellent, so maybe wait for the next batch if you're looking for a somewhat more robust vetiver scent. This version reminds me of Haslinger's Aloe Vera soap. It's a completely different scent, but it's a subtle scent paired with excellent performance. I just ordered a puck of Shannon's Haymarket Vetiver.
I solved the issue of "low scent" by picking up a bottle of vetiver essential oil. Now I have a puck that performs great and has a very pleasant and noticeable scent of vetiver.

Eufros Vetiver de Haiti is a great one for me. Wonderful EO scent. Manuel’s most recent formula is fantastic and a bit underrated these days.

There is a lot of hype right now for Ethos, B&M Omnibus and some other new bases. All are great but the lather, scents and post from Eufros still reign supreme for me.

View attachment 1367602
Eufros Vetiver is up in my rotation this week. It's a great soap.

Top Bottom