What's new

Suggest a cart alternative to the Mach 3

How did the Schick Quattro work for you? I used to use it and the Mach 3 and just buy whichever carts I could find cheaper. This was at least 15 years ago but I recall they worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the Schick Quattro work for you? I used to use it and the Mach 3 and just buy whichever carts I could find cheaper. This was at least 15 years ago but I recall they worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the the small wires over the blades were quite odd. I did not notice them when I first purchased. So I removed them for the first shave. I was a little concerned that I would slice my face off having removed the wires but it was a pretty good shave. It was not extremely smooth, but I had no weepers and the shave was close. An absolutely acceptable shave.

I'm going to try one in the next couple of days with the wires not removed to see what the difference is. Assuming I can find carts for a reasonable price this razor could definitely be a replacement for the Mach 3. The head size is very reasonable for a 4 blade razor (which is very important to me). I think the Schick Hydro 3 is larger in overall size.

Hopefully the Bics work better for you than they have for me. I tried several different Bic razors when I went back to carts/disposables and Bics were always awful: tuggy and not a very close shave.
Another option is the Schick Xtreme 3. I used those for a while and found that they gave me good shaves and would last at least 2 weeks.

Thanks. Unfortunately I have parted ways with Gillette and will not be using their products going forward.
Not my business your reasons for parting ways with Gillette, suggested Sensor because I find it shaves as close and with less irritation than the Fusion proglide and much closer than the Mach3. Personally have tried Dorco, Schick, Personna and have not found any as smootha and close as Gillette. But many members like other cartridge options, good luck and enjoy the hunt

I tried the Schick Quattro today without the wires removed. It gave a reasonably close and comfortable shave. Pretty similar to the Mach 3. I like the handle shape, size, and weight so that's a plus. This could be a legitimate replacement. I'll give it several more shaves before making a final decision.

I have the Dorco 3 and Dorco 4 coming Tuesday to try out. I also got some Schick Hydro 3's to try.

Schick Hydro 3. No wires, better overall IMO. Plus you can find them sold under a bunch of store brands and they are the same cart. Some were even designed to fit the Mach handle.

Bic has three three blade razors available on Amazon, the Comfort 3, the Flex 3, and the Hybrid 3. I have been using the Flex 3, and have enjoyed them very much...
Agreed - I find the Flex 3 very good and long lasting. Depending whose got the deal when and where you are they can be very cheap. I got mine in the UK for around 50p a cart.

I tried the Schick Hydro 3 today and it was a bad experience. The goop spilling out of the lubrication strip was insane. After a pass I still had goo slathered on my face making it difficult to see where I had already shaved. I fired the Hyrdo 3 halfway through the shave and finished with a Mach 3.

In honor of this thread (and my Schick Injector blade being worn after 6 shaves), I tried a new Bic today, the Soleil Color Collection, a three blade non-pivoting head razor aimed at women, but really just a standard disposable. It is the equivalent of the Bic Comfort 3 "original" which is a fixed head razor not available with coupons or subscribe and save anymore on Amazon. The Comfort 3 Advance is also available, and is a pivoting razor.

The shave was good, but not as good as the Flex 3. The Soleil has a funky handle, and I placed my index finger on the handle one third down on the white area to stabilize the shave. No cuts, and a decent shave. Needed to be lighter than usual, but paradoxically, putting some pressure on it with the index finger. Lube strip was present, but not really noticeable.

I tried the Schick Hydro 3 today and it was a bad experience. The goop spilling out of the lubrication strip was insane. After a pass I still had goo slathered on my face making it difficult to see where I had already shaved. I fired the Hyrdo 3 halfway through the shave and finished with a Mach 3.
It must ge so hard to splash water on ones face and then reapply cream with ones brush.

It must ge so hard to splash water on ones face and then reapply cream with ones brush.

Or I could choose not to use a cartridge that puts out slimy goo on my face. If you like the Hydro 3 knock yourself out. Personally, I thought it was crap.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using the Mach 3 since 1998 and love it. It is now relatively reasonably priced and gives me a great 2 pass shave with no hassles. I have DE's and use them on the weekends, but Monday - Friday I need to use a cart as I don't have the time (or don't take the time) to give a safe, close DE shave.

Any Gillette model is now out (don't ask--I don't want the thread locked) so I need to find a good alternative. I just bought the Schick Quattro at my local Walgreens and have a Dorco 3 blade and Dorco 4 blade on the way. About a year ago I bought a Dorco twin blade but was not impressed with the closeness of the shave. And the attachment mechanism was cumbersome.

I don't use disposables and I don't like anything with more than 4 blades. I'd prefer it to have 3 or 2 blades but 4 is acceptable.

Price needs to be under $2.00 per cart. I don't mind buying in bulk for something that works well.

Is there anything else out there I should consider other than the Schick Quattro and a Dorco?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the Schick Xtreme 3 is available in a cartridge, but between my Mach 3, and Bic 3 and 5 bladed disposables, I liked the Xtreme 3 the most.

Tried the Dorco 4 this morning. No go. The cartridge tilts forward too much so I feel like I'm putting too much pressure against my face when I shave. Finished with the Mach 3.

Since I have at least a 4 year supply of Mach 3 carts I might just keep using them until the supply is exhausted. At least I have couple of non-Gillette handles I can use.

Gillette should have shut down the R&D department after the Mach 3. It's the best cart ever made. They should also fire their marketing department for reasons unrelated to the Mach 3. This of course is my opinion. YMMV

Shaved with the Mach 3 this morning. I've decided to give up my search for replacement until my current supply runs out. Which will probably be 4 years from now. The shave is just too good to give up for now.

I had the same experience with the Schick Hydro. Honestly, if they got rid of the lube strip, it would be a good shave but I didnt like the excess of lubricant either.

Shaved with the Mach 3 this morning. I've decided to give up my search for replacement until my current supply runs out. Which will probably be 4 years from now. The shave is just too good to give up for now.
Sometimes you just have to stick with what works. Its funny how YMMV shaving is because for me the Mach 3 is a socially acceptable shave but not a very close one. I actually find the Fusion to be vastly superior to the Mach 3.

I've been using the Mach 3 since 1998 and love it. It is now relatively reasonably priced and gives me a great 2 pass shave with no hassles. I have DE's and use them on the weekends, but Monday - Friday I need to use a cart as I don't have the time (or don't take the time) to give a safe, close DE shave.

Any Gillette model is now out (don't ask--I don't want the thread locked) so I need to find a good alternative. I just bought the Schick Quattro at my local Walgreens and have a Dorco 3 blade and Dorco 4 blade on the way. About a year ago I bought a Dorco twin blade but was not impressed with the closeness of the shave. And the attachment mechanism was cumbersome.

I don't use disposables and I don't like anything with more than 4 blades. I'd prefer it to have 3 or 2 blades but 4 is acceptable.

Price needs to be under $2.00 per cart. I don't mind buying in bulk for something that works well.

Is there anything else out there I should consider other than the Schick Quattro and a Dorco?

Thanks.
Personna Tri-Flex. The carts also fit Gillette Sensor handles.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom