What's new

Suggest a cart alternative to the Mach 3

I've been using the Mach 3 since 1998 and love it. It is now relatively reasonably priced and gives me a great 2 pass shave with no hassles. I have DE's and use them on the weekends, but Monday - Friday I need to use a cart as I don't have the time (or don't take the time) to give a safe, close DE shave.

Any Gillette model is now out (don't ask--I don't want the thread locked) so I need to find a good alternative. I just bought the Schick Quattro at my local Walgreens and have a Dorco 3 blade and Dorco 4 blade on the way. About a year ago I bought a Dorco twin blade but was not impressed with the closeness of the shave. And the attachment mechanism was cumbersome.

I don't use disposables and I don't like anything with more than 4 blades. I'd prefer it to have 3 or 2 blades but 4 is acceptable.

Price needs to be under $2.00 per cart. I don't mind buying in bulk for something that works well.

Is there anything else out there I should consider other than the Schick Quattro and a Dorco?

Thanks.

I thought the carts from Harry's or the other shave club had a good reputation for quality and comfort though I've never tried them. Cheaper alternative than the brand name carts.

I don't see a difference in the amount of time I spend using my DE every morning. Two passes, easy as pie for me (just saying).

I've recently been shaving with the Feather F3 carts, and they have been pretty good. I feel like the Mach3 might shave a bit closer, but the F3 feels very smooth. Some people seem to complain about the handle with the damper on it, but you can get any of the Feather cart handles and they are all interchangeable with any of their cartridge types. MR3Neo or F2 (the two blade version).

I have yet to try the MR3Neo or the F2, but I have read some good feedback on the MR3Neos, so planning to give that a try next.

Price wise, looks to be around $16 for a pack of 8 on US Amz, so that's comparable to the Mach3 pack of 8, though, I think you can get the Mach3s for cheaper if you get them in larger quantities, and at a quick glance, I'm not seeing any vendors selling the Feathers in bulk.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I use Carts the majority of mine are Schick's. My favourite is my trusty old Schick Super2/Ultrex. Twin blade razor pivoting head. I do like the Schick Extreme range and I think that you can still get the Schick FX Performer. It was not too bad either. I am not up to date on prices of the blades but it should not be too difficult to research.

You could try Dollar Shave Club. They give you the option of a 2-blade, 4-blade and 6-blade cart. I use the 4-blade and am a big fan of it. They are pretty cheap too.
The 4-blade carts from DSC go for $6, which is under your $2 limit.

You could try Dollar Shave Club. They give you the option of a 2-blade, 4-blade and 6-blade cart. I use the 4-blade and am a big fan of it. They are pretty cheap too.
The 4-blade carts from DSC go for $6, which is under your $2 limit.

Are DSC razors just rebranded Dorco's? I thought they were.

The do look very similar.

Dorco Pace 4
upload_2019-1-18_10-1-35.png

DSC 4x
upload_2019-1-18_10-2-30.png

The Gillette Sensor, regular or Excel, gives a close, comfortable shave. The original handles are available on that auction site. There are also after market handles around. The head pivots but the attachment of cartridge to handle is in the middle of the cartridge so you can apply too much pressure against your face and cause irritation, that is much harder to do with the Mach3. The Gillette carts are available and relatively inexpensive in bulk. Worth a try.

The Gillette Sensor, regular or Excel, gives a close, comfortable shave. The original handles are available on that auction site. There are also after market handles around. The head pivots but the attachment of cartridge to handle is in the middle of the cartridge so you can apply too much pressure against your face and cause irritation, that is much harder to do with the Mach3. The Gillette carts are available and relatively inexpensive in bulk. Worth a try.

Thanks. Unfortunately I have parted ways with Gillette and will not be using their products going forward.

Has anyone ever tried the Kirkland Signature (Costco) triple blade? The reviews on the Costco site are very polarizing. It seems that many people love the razor and many hate it. The blades are only $1.11 for refills. Usually Kirkland Signature products are very high quality but the reviews are very mixed on this one.

Are DSC razors just rebranded Dorco's? I thought they were.
They are. Ive got a Dorco Pace 4 and a DSC 4X and they are the same thing. Its a great razor, BTW. Very smooth and a 2-pass BBS for me. The price for DSC is pretty much the same as buying from bulk from Dorco's website, so I just do DSC. They send me a 4-pack every other month and I dont have to worry about buying more blades or having a ton of carts lying around the house.

I bought a pack of Kirkland Signature Triple Blades yesterday and will give them a try today. I like the look. The good thing with Costco is that I can take them back for refund if I don't like them so there's no risk at all.

I've tried DSC/Dorco's twin blade cartridges.
A horrible experience.
I know you said no Gillette but some people here swear by the super-cheap generic Atra Plus blades.
I see mixed reviews on them though.
Your last option is a disposable single-blade like Bic Sensitive. I haven't tried it

Basically, your options are all bad because you don't want to try what is left.
Sorry.

It really is a shame because even I'd try new twin blade cartridges if they were generic, effective, readily-available, and cheap.

Bic has three three blade razors available on Amazon, the Comfort 3, the Flex 3, and the Hybrid 3. I have been using the Flex 3, and have enjoyed them very much. It is the highest rated on Amazon with 4.5 stars. I think it has a coupon for new purchasers. I usually use an injector, but try different blades. I get more longevity with the Flex 3 than Schick blades from the 80s/90s, which was not the case with most modern razors until recently.

I tried the Kirkland Signature Triple Blade today. Fail. These are going back.

The shave was rough and I had several weepers, which is something I would never have with a Mach 3. Plus the lubrication strip is already disintegrating after one use.

I will take a look at some Bic 3 offerings and also the Schick injector.

My Dorco 3 blade and 4 blade should arrive in three days so I'll be eager to give those a go.

Top Bottom