What's new

Suehiro Gokumyo 20K usage

Dressed at 1200 Atoma mine cuts plenty fast. 25-30 from an 8k edge to finish with this type of surface.
Not sure about coarser dressing as it drastically reduces the edge quality IMO
I’d like to find a small diamond plate that can keep the glossy surface while cleaning/buffing/burnishing?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Mellow 600 Atoma finish, G20k. I reserve this plate for surfacing finishers.

CD8D86B4-0E63-4715-88E2-8C38B9DB46D7.jpeg

I have been doing some testing with Smiths Honing Solution and it works very well on the SG200. It breaks up the surface tension so water doesn't just bead up and roll off. I use a couple drops of solution and a spritz of water to finish with. When i'm done the stone cleans right up and no swarf embeds in the stone that I can see unlike with water only. After the stone is cleaned and wiped dry a spritz of water will bead up again until the solution is added so I don't think it has any effect on the hone itself.

Its finished off to a glossy surface using a middle of the road for wear Atoma 1200. I've honed a few razors on it since I dressed it. The first pic is water only and the second is the other side of the stone also dressed out with the Atoma 1200 and you can see its a bit cleaner because of the Smiths.

63233624865__54A99DAD-F672-4652-9E81-3C319CC0FB11.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

I have been using Simple green when the swarf sticks enough to start scratching the bevel. I spray the top of the stone and work it around with a paper towel or a couple fingers then under a mild stream of water and wipe it dry. After that I add a little water to the surface and it beads up again letting me know I didn't leave any cleaning solution on the stone.
I think I could go on indefinitely without having to resurface the stone because it only takes a few laps to finish the edge after 8-12k with the stone like new.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
+1 on being careful with simple green on synthetics. I accidentally got some oil on a Chosera 1k once and used SG to try to get it out and the surface turned to mush. I was able to lap it out but I lost about 3/16” of the stone in the process.

I use my 20k in a similar way: I do 10-30 laps, but I just clean off the swarf with my Naniwa 600 grit dressing stone. It hasn’t really needed flattening, since it’s a ~1x6” hapstone; just cleaning off between honings. For $114 compared to the $300+ of the full-size though, I’m pretty satisfied with it. It’s given me a chance to perfect my X-strokes, and it was far cheaper for the same edge.

I use my 20k in a similar way: I do 10-30 laps, but I just clean off the swarf with my Naniwa 600 grit dressing stone. It hasn’t really needed flattening, since it’s a ~1x6” hapstone; just cleaning off between honings. For $114 compared to the $300+ of the full-size though, I’m pretty satisfied with it. It’s given me a chance to perfect my X-strokes, and it was far cheaper for the same edge.

A 1x6 Gokumyo 20k?
Where did you get it?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes they’re something like that. I’m sure that he’s not losing money on them.

Top Bottom