What's new

Suddenly, there’s a difference...

I have used the D.R Harris Marlborough.
LOVED the scent, really didn't like the soap for straight shaving though. I gave it to my brother who uses a DE. He loved it.
I'll skip that one then.....thanks for the warning.

camo
Five or six years ago DR Harris soaps were all the rage in the 3017 crowd. I was really looking forward to trying them. Then people started complaining that the lather was dry and not slick enough for straight shaving and I was glad that I had not jumped on the band wagon. Years later I was gifted a sample of Arlington. I had really low expectations because of the history, but upon trying it I found it to be a really great soap. I've since tried Marlborough and had the same experience.

I would have no problem using either of those DR Harris soaps as forever soaps for straight shaving. IME the secret to straight shaving lather is to hydrate to just before the lather starts breaking down. Just sayin', YMMV

Five or six years ago DR Harris soaps were all the rage in the 3017 crowd. I was really looking forward to trying them. Then people started complaining that the lather was dry and not slick enough for straight shaving and I was glad that I had not jumped on the band wagon. Years later I was gifted a sample of Arlington. I had really low expectations because of the history, but upon trying it I found it to be a really great soap. I've since tried Marlborough and had the same experience.

I would have no problem using either of those DR Harris soaps as forever soaps for straight shaving. IME the secret to straight shaving lather is to hydrate to just before the lather starts breaking down. Just sayin', YMMV

I tend to really hydrate that specific brand. will try them down the road when I have a little more experience under my belt. worst case scenario would be bailout switching soaps.

thanks for that insight.

camo

I use very wet lather always, so hydration could not have been better IMO.
It just wasn't for me. Too bad to because I really did like the scent but it was pretty expensive anyway in comparison to others so just as well.
As you said , at the time it was all the rage so I had high expectations but no Bueno for me.
I think there are much better soaps out there and for less money.

So- when I took up wet shaving about 11 years ago or so, I figured shave soap was shave soap. Then I learn all kinds of words such as glycerine based, tallow, triple milled, etc. words that weren’t organic to my vocabulary are now part of the repertoire.

When I began the DE shave, I had fun trying all kinds of different soaps, creams, etc- I confess half the time I enjoyed it because it smelled good but it made me smell like products the average Joe doesn’t smell like because the average Joe doesn’t wet shave. That made me different in a way & besides, my wife loves it.

Over the past decade, DE/SE razors being used, it didn’t reeeeeeeeally matter which cream or soap I used. Soaps / creams were different in their own ways, but heck, it’s just shave cream....& once you become a Jedi master on safety razors, you can shave with any soap under the sun more or less.

Then you join the dark side like I did and suddenly you aren’t content with Jedi tricks with a brush, soap, scuttle, DE / SE razors....lightsaber.....nope. Now I had to join the dark side and enter a new understanding. The desire to use the double-bladed lightsaber ie: the straight razor was appealing. It still is- but all of a sudden, soap isn’t just soap- cream isn’t just cream. I am suddenly finding myself not wanting to use Arko for my straight shaves because it dries and I get pulling, and I bleed.....today was a big one. That’s gonna leave a mark....I had been feeling that Arko proooooooobably wasn’t going to be the best idea with a straight- ESPECIALLY since I’ve only been juuuuuust getting the hang of it for about 2 weeks.

I have -as of today- decided which soaps are for safety razor shaves and which are better suited for straight razor shaves. Arko- until my dark side mastery skills improve- will have to wait for later- but for now, I will be using glycerine based soaps and slick cushiony creams. I put some Colonel Conk Amber in my old spice mug and I’m now running on what I’m referring to the safety razor mug & the straight razor mug.
I’m certain that if I were an expert on a straight Arko being something that dries on ya rather quick would be trivial. I’ve seen people not liking Williams, Arko, etc- and I never understood it. I STILL LOVE BOTH- but not with a straight- not yet anyway- when I’m hungry for a challenge, maybe some day. But now I get it. Suddenly, it matters which soap a straight razor novice uses.

In the world of pipe smoking, to learn to smoke a pipe, all you need is good tobacco & a steady cadence. To become a Jedi master, you learn wet shaving with safety razors.....master the brush, bowl, scuttle, face lather...
In straight razor shaving, your force skills get a little more complex- now you have to identify what dries quicker despite adding a little more water- honing, lapping, basswood strop construction, substrate selection, paste application, stropping technique, shave technique, post-shave strop, alcohol, mineral oil post-care, etc

it’s not for everyone, and I understand “the why”. People just wanna shave, feel refreshed, feel human again after a hard day- I get it. Then there’s people like us that are open to learning new skills, even if it hurts because we’re the sort, despite the blood we may shed whom stand in front of the mirror as the pleasant fragrant soap adorns our face and the warm crimson drips down our cheek and all we can say about it is either I quit- or.......View attachment 1094327

I've been shaving with a straight for about a year now and am just starting to get consistent great pain free shaves. I do agree some soaps are not for straights. But even with all the pain I went through in the beginning I would do it all over because I just enjoy it so much.

I use very wet lather always, so hydration could not have been better IMO.
It just wasn't for me. Too bad to because I really did like the scent but it was pretty expensive anyway in comparison to others so just as well.
As you said , at the time it was all the rage so I had high expectations but no Bueno for me.
I think there are much better soaps out there and for less money.
I love Arlington, haven’t tried any of their other stuff, but Arlington was pretty good- though I never tried it with a straight. As I recall, I purchased Arlington a second time because I liked it. Trumpers Rose soap is one I liked but that stuff dried up pretty quick- that one wasn’t a repeat- & that was before I considered SR’s. I always on my second & third passes sprinkled water into the lather.

Gotta offer a slightly contrary opinion here. My experience (two years of daily straights) is that most any soap is suitable for straight shaving. Of course, as with all things in this endeavor, YMMV.

It's generally agreed that wetter, slicker is better for straights. I regularly use Arko with no issues. If it starts to dry ...
dip your brush into hot water and re-leather your face and off you go.
No rule against putting the straight down for a moment to prepare for continued use.

Gotta offer a slightly contrary opinion here. My experience (two years of daily straights) is that most any soap is suitable for straight shaving. Of course, as with all things in this endeavor, YMMV.

It's generally agreed that wetter, slicker is better for straights. I regularly use Arko with no issues. If it starts to dry ...

No rule against putting the straight down for a moment to prepare for continued use.
Yeah- mid-pass I’ll dip my fingers in water and let it sort of drizzle down- or rub water on the “drying” patch. It’s also because I’m taking longer. I seem to remember a time when I took about 20-30 minutes just to shave with a safety razor. Now I can shave scary fast and drying isnt an issue. Now I’m back to shaving slowly and carefully again- I’m convinced that’s the major contributor to the drying problem. Some soaps are less forgiving in terms of the novice- less patient I should say. It’s a learning process- I’ll just adapt as I go and re-adapt as I improve.

+1 on this. I quickly learned to make wetter lathers to help my SRs get and stay moving smoothly. How wet? Just keep making them wetter until either the shaves don’t improve, or the lather won’t stay on your face.
+2

IMHO, a thinner, wetter lather is better with ANY razor, not just SR. The trick nonetheless is mastering how wet is wet enough, but not too wet 😁

+2

IMHO, a thinner, wetter lather is better with ANY razor, not just SR. The trick nonetheless is mastering how wet is wet enough, but not too wet 😁

+1

Adding water generally improves slickness, but adding water may decrease cushion. I have sensitive skin, so I like achieving a balance between slickness and cushion. That requires determining the optimal level of hydration.

Some people with less sensitive skin say they do not want cushion in their soaps. They feel they get a closer shave with less cushion. I can understand that, but if I add too much water, I get irritation.

+1

Adding water generally improves slickness, but adding water may decrease cushion. I have sensitive skin, so I like achieving a balance between slickness and cushion. That requires determining the optimal level of hydration.

Some people with less sensitive skin say they do not want cushion in their soaps. They feel they get a closer shave with less cushion. I can understand that, but if I add too much water, I get irritation.

Well, I've got to say that "cushion" is one of those concepts I don't get and I've been shaving for more than 30 years.

Let me put it this way - place the blade against your face, as you normally do. Now instead of pulling the blade vertically downwards, try slicing horizontally, say from your sideburns towards your your mouth. AUCH!!!

See... no "cushion". So whenever people talk about lather cushioning effect, I think of poor technique.

Maybe it'll take me another 30 years to figure that one out...

Top Bottom