What's new

Suddenly, there’s a difference...

So- when I took up wet shaving about 11 years ago or so, I figured shave soap was shave soap. Then I learn all kinds of words such as glycerine based, tallow, triple milled, etc. words that weren’t organic to my vocabulary are now part of the repertoire.

When I began the DE shave, I had fun trying all kinds of different soaps, creams, etc- I confess half the time I enjoyed it because it smelled good but it made me smell like products the average Joe doesn’t smell like because the average Joe doesn’t wet shave. That made me different in a way & besides, my wife loves it.

Over the past decade, DE/SE razors being used, it didn’t reeeeeeeeally matter which cream or soap I used. Soaps / creams were different in their own ways, but heck, it’s just shave cream....& once you become a Jedi master on safety razors, you can shave with any soap under the sun more or less.

Then you join the dark side like I did and suddenly you aren’t content with Jedi tricks with a brush, soap, scuttle, DE / SE razors....lightsaber.....nope. Now I had to join the dark side and enter a new understanding. The desire to use the double-bladed lightsaber ie: the straight razor was appealing. It still is- but all of a sudden, soap isn’t just soap- cream isn’t just cream. I am suddenly finding myself not wanting to use Arko for my straight shaves because it dries and I get pulling, and I bleed.....today was a big one. That’s gonna leave a mark....I had been feeling that Arko proooooooobably wasn’t going to be the best idea with a straight- ESPECIALLY since I’ve only been juuuuuust getting the hang of it for about 2 weeks.

I have -as of today- decided which soaps are for safety razor shaves and which are better suited for straight razor shaves. Arko- until my dark side mastery skills improve- will have to wait for later- but for now, I will be using glycerine based soaps and slick cushiony creams. I put some Colonel Conk Amber in my old spice mug and I’m now running on what I’m referring to the safety razor mug & the straight razor mug.
I’m certain that if I were an expert on a straight Arko being something that dries on ya rather quick would be trivial. I’ve seen people not liking Williams, Arko, etc- and I never understood it. I STILL LOVE BOTH- but not with a straight- not yet anyway- when I’m hungry for a challenge, maybe some day. But now I get it. Suddenly, it matters which soap a straight razor novice uses.

In the world of pipe smoking, to learn to smoke a pipe, all you need is good tobacco & a steady cadence. To become a Jedi master, you learn wet shaving with safety razors.....master the brush, bowl, scuttle, face lather...
In straight razor shaving, your force skills get a little more complex- now you have to identify what dries quicker despite adding a little more water- honing, lapping, basswood strop construction, substrate selection, paste application, stropping technique, shave technique, post-shave strop, alcohol, mineral oil post-care, etc

it’s not for everyone, and I understand “the why”. People just wanna shave, feel refreshed, feel human again after a hard day- I get it. Then there’s people like us that are open to learning new skills, even if it hurts because we’re the sort, despite the blood we may shed whom stand in front of the mirror as the pleasant fragrant soap adorns our face and the warm crimson drips down our cheek and all we can say about it is either I quit- or.......
E256D34A-6488-4B22-8748-1BC47022712D.jpeg

So- when I took up wet shaving about 11 years ago or so, I figured shave soap was shave soap. Then I learn all kinds of words such as glycerine based, tallow, triple milled, etc. words that weren’t organic to my vocabulary are now part of the repertoire.

This can be compensated by washing your face first with glycerin soap as part of your pre-shave and partially rinsing

I always shave after a hot shower- but THAT is BRILLIANT!!! I would’ve never intuitively figured that out- I was never the pre-shave sort, but that’s brilliant! Thanks for that!

Keep at it! Dont give up! It took a good three months for me to start getting consistent straight shave that were comfy, left no burn, and no weepers. And to me? Worth it. I feel like a badass every time I shave. :)

slick soaps......love them.

I'm embarking upon the same jedi knight path.

the plus side is that the dark side has cookies!!!!

th.jpeg.jpg

camo

I'd argue the difference you feel is more due to the lack of mastery in your SR shaving technique than a dry soap.

In any case, the proper face prep will account for half of the great shave (other half being the technique).

Ideally, you want to:

1) Take a good warm shower. Nothing moisturizes the skin as water itself. Wet hair is so much easier to remove than a dry hair.

2) Pre-shave. you can use any glycerin-based cream or simply rub a little bit of your shaving cream or soap into your face and massage it for minute or two.

3) Leather up your face and thoroughly massage the leather all over with the brush.

4) This is a BIG one - leave the leather on your face for 10 minutes. I've found that this one alone makes a MASSIVE difference. I know 10 minutes can seem like a lifetime, especially if you're a daily shaver, but I only shave twice a week and it makes all the difference to me.

5) After 10 minutes the leather will have dried up somewhat, so dip your brush into hot water and re-leather your face and off you go. Best shave EVER guaranteed. :)

A shower prior to shaving is the perfect prep IMO.
Soap absolutely makes a difference. I have tried a few soaps that are not very good for straight shaving.
For straight razor shaving a soap must be super slick and leave a residual slickness in use.
I love Col Conk Amber, I used it exclusively for more than 15 years.
I eventually tried some tallow soaps and they vary as well as some not being conducive to using a straight.
Two that I have found exceptional are Tabac and B&M Seville although I'm sure other scents from B&M would be the same.
The latter two have a cushiony feeling under the blade which I attribute to the fats in it.
Nothing is as slippery as Conk soaps (I've only ever used the Amber as I didn't care for any other scents) and they have a good residual slickness for second passes with just applying water, same as the Tabac and Seville.
There are some big name soaps I have tried that just don't cut in IMO for straight shaving.
A thinner wetter lather must be used no matter the soap. I laugh when I see mountains of stiff puffed up lather for the sake of the look of it. It just doesn't fly for straight razors.

May the force be with you in your journey!!So many good things out there!!

On sour note!!! CLEMSON!!
GO BUCKS!!! You stole that game from us!! I am still trying to get the stink out!!
Take care!!

so far I've found that B&M, SV, Wholly Kaw, and PDP all have the slickness and residual that is needed.

Dont know about my beloved D.R. Harris......

camo

so far I've found that B&M, SV, Wholly Kaw, and PDP all have the slickness and residual that is needed.

Dont know about my beloved D.R. Harris......

camo

I have used the D.R Harris Marlborough.
LOVED the scent, really didn't like the soap for straight shaving though. I gave it to my brother who uses a DE. He loved it.

Its funny, some soaps that are well known you just don't see in the straight shaving world but are loved in DE world.

trust me......finding this out.

I've got WIndsor, Marlborough, and a backup puck of Marlborough.

ordered Zingari thinking it will be in line with B&M and WK which I know work well.

camo

Who are the Bucks?
CU-71
And also with you....

y’all had all the time in the world to beat us. As I recall there were a few scoring opportunities that didn’t happen & the red zone scoring was chopped down by 62% from their average. That wasn’t a fluke & it wasn’t robbery. Ya played Clemson. That was pretty much up for grabs. Our defense was the best in the nation- til we played LSU and our QB saw what experience does to finesse. In the end, good calls, bad calls, ya gotta be good enough to win the game AND overcome a crappy call. There were several that went around- but if you look at the numbers & what the tiger defense did to Ohio’s offense, numbers don’t lie unless yer a bookie! 🤣

Like you I also discovered that some of the most praised soaps for DE shaving just don't quite suffice when shaving with a straight razor. This doesn't mean that you have to buy more expensive soaps there are many quite affordable and slick soaps with a lot of cushion.
I do wish you a most pleasant journey into The Heart of Darkness. It's a one way trip.:em2100:

Like you I also discovered that some of the most praised soaps for DE shaving just don't quite suffice when shaving with a straight razor. This doesn't mean that you have to buy more expensive soaps there are many quite affordable and slick soaps with a lot of cushion.
I do wish you a most pleasant journey into The Heart of Darkness. It's a one way trip.:em2100:
Yes, it was something of an eye opener. I now have the safety razor mug and the straight razor mug.

The reason there are over a thousand different shave soaps, hundreds of different razors and brushes , and dozens of different razor blades is that there are about 4 billion men in the world. Although half of them may have beards, that still leaves 2 billion men who shave, each with different skin types, hair types, needs and preferences. The challenge for each of us is to find the best combination of razor, blade, soap, brush, and technique that will give us the perfect shave. It takes years to reach that point, but the journey can be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom