What's new

Sudden bad shaves

Long story short, my last shaves were outright bad, even though I was using my best shaving gear and was very careful with my technique.
Gents, have you ever had similar cases?

lasta

Blade Biter
You need better gear. :c13:

Just kidding. Try giving the face a rest, skip a day. Focus on pre-shave prep, 4 minutes water on face minimum.

Changes in outcome are almost always due to changes in the process. However, sometimes it is difficult to determine what has changed in the process.

For example, a razor blade might give a great shave one day, but because it is nearing the end of its useful life (for your skin and beard), the next shave might be mediocre or worse. For me, Feather blades are like that. I can get two great shaves with one, but the third shave will be terrible.

Did you change your preshave preparation in any way? For example, I usually shave immediately after showering, but if my shave is delayed for even a few minutes, my face starts to dry out and the shave won't be as good.

Did you use a different shave soap or cream for the shave, or did your lathering procedure change in any way? A great lather vs a poor one can make a big difference in your shave.

Did you change the time between shaves? If you shaved sooner than normal, you skin might not have recovered from the previous shave. If you waited longer than normal before shaving, you will have more beard growth and that can make shaving more difficult.

Just analyze everything you can remember about the shave. Hopefully, you can identify something that changed.

Could even be the weather or something else that meant your skin wasn’t in the same condition as usual. Or a difference in preparation, or your mood meaning you weren’t shaving as carefully as you thought you were, or a blade issue. There are so many variables and this hapoens sometimes. I just take it as a reminder not to get complacent and not to assume my technique (including prep) is as consistent and good as it could be. These are the shaves you can learn something from.

Long story short, my last shaves were outright bad, even though I was using my best shaving gear and was very careful with my technique.
Gents, have you ever had similar cases?

Oh, absolutely! The skin on my face is quite sensitive, and sometimes any shave will leave me looking like am involuntary blood donor! Times like those, the most important thing is having a proper procedure for after a shave.

-Z

It could be one variable, it could be many, it could be none that affected your shave--chalk it up to "Bad Shaves Happen," and try to not overthink it. Sometimes the shave is just a reflection of other things going on; distractions, being rushed, stress elsewhere, etc.. I let the situation dictate which razor and type of razor and not the other way around--DEs, SEs and Straights get used interchangeably according to my mood. If I planned a SR shave but got up late, or if I have that "out of synch" feeling I'll flex to a SE or DE, or skip the shave for the day (I have that option). Of all the shaving variables, a set prep routine isn't something that affects my shaves, so I can't comment on its importance for a good shave other than if that part of your routine keeps you in synch for a good shave, I'd focus on that. Try to relax, because in the overall big scheme of things, it's just shaving; the advantage being that in a day or two you get a "do over."

Could even be the weather or something else that meant your skin wasn’t in the same condition as usual. Or a difference in preparation, or your mood meaning you weren’t shaving as carefully as you thought you were, or a blade issue. There are so many variables and this hapoens sometimes. I just take it as a reminder not to get complacent and not to assume my technique (including prep) is as consistent and good as it could be. These are the shaves you can learn something from.
For sure. Cold outdoor winter air makes my skin pretty tender-- very dry indoor air makes it hard to keep my lather the way I like it. I have to make adjustments accordingly.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Even a minor, almost indiscernible, breakout on your skin can cause a bad shave. I'm guessing it's the condition of your skin and not your hardware/software/technique... especially the way you described it.

It could be one variable, it could be many, it could be none that affected your shave--chalk it up to "Bad Shaves Happen," and try to not overthink it. Sometimes the shave is just a reflection of other things going on; distractions, being rushed, stress elsewhere, etc.. I let the situation dictate which razor and type of razor and not the other way around--DEs, SEs and Straights get used interchangeably according to my mood. If I planned a SR shave but got up late, or if I have that "out of synch" feeling I'll flex to a SE or DE, or skip the shave for the day (I have that option). Of all the shaving variables, a set prep routine isn't something that affects my shaves, so I can't comment on its importance for a good shave other than if that part of your routine keeps you in synch for a good shave, I'd focus on that. Try to relax, because in the overall big scheme of things, it's just shaving; the advantage being that in a day or two you get a "do over."
A great thoughtful reply! Thank you!

could be equipment (bad blade), concentration, hurry. But most likely, hydration of the skin? As others have said, give the skin some rest and make sure you drink enough (and no, I don't mean alcohol ;-) ). Wash your face, perhaps even use a washcloth and apply some face creme. I always do that before I go to sleep. Retry after a day rest...

Great suggestions above!

My take: BAD SHAVES HAPPEN.

I agree that you should take a day or two off, then focus on prep and technique. The magic will return!! :thumbup1:

Sometimes you get a dull blade.
Sometimes you get a really sharp blade, but you're just carelessly stoopid. When you're not in synch, and things start going wrong and you consider just skipping the shave, go with your gut. Well that, and when you pull out a Lather Catcher and a fresh GEM PTFE blade (they're sharp and can be harsh the first time, and really harsh if you're stupid), always, always, always check to make sure the blade is behind the blade stops. Razor blades don't discriminate between what they cut and when they're really sharp they cut without you noticing right away. In this case blood on both upper cheeks, adams apple, blood running down my neck from an inch-long cut on my neck, and then I noticed the dual "gill marks" in front of my ear. Upon closer inspection, I could see the spine was smiling at me due to the left side of the blade sitting on top of the blade stop. I'm calling it a year, my last shave, because it will take a few days to heal--two days ago I took off 6 days growth with a straight and didn't draw a drop of blood, oh well, live and learn.

My last 2 shaves have been mediocre and poor. Thanks for making this thread, and for all of the input! I will have a better shave in a couple days!

Yup, happens to everyone from time to time.

There are just too many variables to account for, some barely perceptible, to expect a lifetime of identical shaves. Even w/ the same gear and technique.

The good news is that the more dialed in you get over time the fewer 'off' days you tend to have.

I see from your avatar that you're quite young. At least compared to some of us. ;)

Tryt to be patient with yourself and your technique. In the end, I'm sure you'll find that experience will play a role here.

Thanks for the encouragement!

It's gotta be technique or weather. I'm using what I consider my reliable combo, and it isn't quite right.

I still look forward to shaving, it's just a bummer when the experience doesn't meet my expectations!

Top Bottom