What's new

SucKO's Shaving Log (caution, it will likely suck)

Well, I couldn't help myself. Saturday morning I kept thinking that poor Gillette New SC was going to have to wait a couple weeks to get into the rotation, didn't seem fare. So I decided a Saturday shave wouldn't be the end of the world (I think) so I took the Nacet out of the Tech, put it in the New SC and had myself an introductory shave!

I used TOBS Sandalwood cream and did 2 nice and slow passes. This is the first OC razor I have used. Shave went very well, 1 weeper, no nicks and got a CCC shave. I ended it with only 2 passes and no touch-up passes. It was a Saturday shave, a Meet and Greet type shave where I wanted to end it with a nice non-hamburger face positive experience from the OC. Splashed on some Florida Water and was ready to go! Overall, my first use of an OC went very well and I look forward to using it in the future.

Lets move onto Sunday via Locomotive
GCR No 4960 2-8-2 Mikado Built 1923.jpg

This is the Grand Canyon Railroad Engine 4860 "Mikado" its an 2-8-2 Built in 1923. That's about my knowledge on trains, other then it was a fun ride!

Sundays shave was once again with the Schick G4. Used Martin de Candre original fragrance soap followed up by Stirling Sandpiper AS. Had a great, smooth shave. Three passes, WTG, ATG and XTG with touch-ups. No weepers, one small nick, but was my fault. I tried to WTG following the contour of my chin under my lower lip going around the jawline. I know better to try that in that area, got a little nick (as I always do when I try that). No irritation, shave was just like a Fusion cart shave.

Monday morning was the 4th shave with the Schick G4. Used WSP Blackbeard followed up by WSP Black Amber AS. I really like this combo. Once again, a smooth irritation free shave. My standard Schick 3 pass gave me a BBS shave with no weepers or nicks.

After 4 shaves I have noticed 1 thing. Much like a Fusion cart, the Schick needs slickness. I like the 3x milled hard soaps, but I have found they do not have as much residual slickness as the TOBS creams. When doing buffing touch-ups with a DE, I can usually just dunk the shave head in water and do some light buffing without adding lather. With the Schick, this will not work at all. Even when wet, without lather or significant residual slickness, the shave head of the Schick has too much contact surface to move along the shaving surface. Now you can rotate the shave head to a steeper angle which pulls the shave head off of the shaving surface but leaving the blade in contact, but this creates a really aggressive shave angle and will result in a weeper or more likely a nick (I don't believe Schick meant for their razor to be used at this aggressive angle). Its easier to just swipe some lather and make a buffing pass.

Overall, another no muss no fuss shave. The blade felt just as sharp on the 4th shave as the 1st.

Side note, I have watch the Unibomber series and I find the abrupt jumping back and forth from 1995 to 1997 somewhat confusing and makes it hard to follow the story line. I get the impression its a story gimmick the director is using to show how artistic they can be using advanced film techniques. After the first 2 hr episode, not sure if the perspective is 1995 with flash forwards to 1997 or the perspective is 1997 with flashbacks to 1995.

Almost forgot: Everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Being the new guy moving into the neighborhood, I have been trying to read and catch up on the various other Diaries. I am not a SR shaver, probably never will be. I have nothing but respect for those using SR. I do have a very modest pocket knife collection, about 2 dozen or so, all modern (post 1970's) most manufactured in the last 10 years. I have frequented BladeForums, a nice forum covering knives and edged items.

Now I have noticed a running theme among SR shavers, honing your razors. I have noticed some frustration on honing and how sometimes it seems to work your you, and sometimes it does not. Based upon my experience with sharping knives, here is a thought, it may be helpful or ignorant, not sure which.

The bevel angle, the type of stones used, and the grit of the stones can vary widely based upon not only the type of steel, but the original blade geometry grind and the tempering/hardness of the steel. Two blades made by the same maker, with the same steel but tempered a little differently with a slightly different original geometry could likely require a very different bevel and different stones to get a super fine edge the SR razor needs. Worse yet, if the tempering is off or the tempering has been altered over the years, the steel may not hold a honed SR quality edge for more than a few shaves.

I think you SR shavers tend to be too quick to blame yourselfs verses looking at the steel you are using. A certain bevel may work for 90% of the other owners of your razor, but yours may not like that bevel, yours may need a different bevel or type of sharping stones. The trick on putting a edge on any metal is discovering which bevel angle works best, and what is the best way to put that bevel onto the metal. Its amazing how a little change in Vanadium, Cobalt, Chrome, Molybdenum, or Carbon content can change the steels characteristics. Taking into consideration some of the SR's you are using are very old its not unusual to have variances in the make ups of the SR blades.

Just my 2 cents, and it may not be worth even that. Everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Fantastic Reads, and the GCR is great during the holiday season. We go up every year when they turn it into the Polar Express, like the movie, It is a ton of fun

Fantastic Reads, and the GCR is great during the holiday season. We go up every year when they turn it into the Polar Express, like the movie, It is a ton of fun

That does sound like a blast! Is there snow on ground at the Canyon or do you go before the first fall? I've only gone up there in Spring.

Here is a pic of one of my favorite places in the canyon:
Desert View Watchtower.jpg
Desert View Watch Tower.

Today was a minor landmark day, my 50th shave with a safety razor.

Today was a Stirling Piacenza Day, used both the soap and aftershave. I really like this fragrance, the Stirling web site describes it as "Piacenza is close to Parma. A blend of citrus, florals, Rosemary, Amber, and musk."

I am still using the Schick G4, this was the 6th shave on the current blade. The Schick made in China blade is performing very well. I have been doing 3 passes plus touch-ups each day. I would say the fresh blade was equal to a GSB in sharpness and smoothness. Today's shave (6th) I would say the sharpness has dropped off to an Astra SP. Not much of a drop off, and the blade is still sharp and performing well.

Time for a picture break:
Vasquez Rocks.jpg

This is Vasquez Rocks. If you look closely, you just might see a Gorn wandering around :a12:

Back to the shave, I got an overall DFS+ shave with approximately 50% being a BBS. No nicks or cuts, but still those 2 really small weepers on my chin. My Simpson X2L Colonel is breaking in nicely, I think it will be just right in about 50 more shaves.

So, what have I learned after 50 shaves? Well, everything concerning shaving with a safety razor! I would like to say that I wouldn't have even given safety razor shaving a try without all the great folks at B&B. Knowledge and good advise are invaluable, and the good people here at B&B kindly give it away for free.

I started full face shaving almost 26 years ago, so what advise would the current me give that 1991 me (If I had a Way-Back-Machine) concerning shaving? Well, the current crop of great modern DE razors and blades really didn't exist back then, but a shaving system did exist that was easy to find and was basically the same then as now, the Schick Injector System.

I would advise my 1991 self to forget the carts and go for that goofy looking Schick Type G I saw at the various garage sales and flea markets (or a new Type N that were being sold at all the drug stores at that time). There would have been no problem finding the injector blades since almost all the drug stores and supermarkets carried the Schick blades. I think my shaving life would have been alot easier and better if I had known then what I know now.

As for DE shaving with a Gillette? Ya, I would have migrated to those, especially once the EJ89 came out. But comparing a Schick Injector to a DE, well that's another post in the near future :001_tt2:.

Everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Getting caught up, good stuff. Your take on honing is worth heeding, if for no other reason than to facilitate further exploration of solutions.

I can't disagree with your appreciation of the injector, it's a great tool. In fact, I would say it's the closest thing to straight shaving in terms of feel and quality of the shave. As you search for replacement blades try Supply Provisions (you can get them on Amazon or direct from them) they commissioned production of the blades for use/sale with their new SE. I can't recall the name of their razor or say how it performs but I know the blades are pretty good.

I gave both the short comb and long comb new, the long comb performance is basically the same but you can feel the combs on your face more. Good razors worth having, but I think there are better vintage Gillettes.

Well, its been shaves 7 and 8 with the Schick G4 and the first blade. The blade is holding up, but starting to wear a bit, the last shave was equal to an Astra SP on the 2 to 3 shave. I am confident it can make it to 10 shaves for me.

Today was Stirling Piacenza soap with Clubman AS. Yesterday was MdC soap and WSP Black Amber AS.

Yesterdays shave was a nice comfortable BBS, today's was a nice comfortable DFS shave. I have no complaints on the quality or ease of the Schick G series razors. They are great shavers.

Picture Break! See if you can recognize this ship:
Mayflower.jpg

Yesterday I took out my Fusion to compare it to the Schick G4. The size of the shave heads and the blade angle were very similar, but the angle the head is attached to the razor body was different. I did notice if you placed the Fusion head against your cheek, and pivoted the razor handle almost perpendicular to your face/shaving surface, the head angle geometry was almost identical. I don't have any lying around, but comparing the pics, the Atra cart is very similar in design compared to the Schick G series shave head. Just some interesting observations.

Hockey and football season are almost upon us! NASCAR is almost into its championship round and the evenings and mornings are starting to cool down. Fall and cooler weather are about 4-5 weeks away!!!! We still have to go through the almost unbearable early September scorching with the associated low morale ebb that happens in SoCal, but the end IS in sight.

I am not big on weekend shaves, but I wanted to give the Gillette New Open SC a spin.
Soap was Reef Point Dragon's Blood, I like the fragrance, needed a little work due to my hard water but lathered nicely. Blade was a 3rd use of a Nacet.

The shave was magnificent! I did 2 passes (WTG and XTG) with some light touch ups. BBS on face and parts of neck, DFS on the rest! No irritation, no nicks, no weepers. AS was Stirling Sandpiper, no sting at all!

Truly a great shave and a great start of the day!

Oh, here is a pic
lion and kids 2.jpg

This is a pic of me (left) and my brothers taken at Lion Country Safari circa 1973. That is a real lion. Seriously, it was the '70s.

OMG, Lion Country Safari! I haven't heard that name in a hundred years! We had one just outside of the ATL that I remember going to. I had to look up the years it was around: 1970-1984.

Caught up, enjoyable reads. Wish football season was something to look forward to, but not too hopeful for the home team (49ers) or the family team (Broncos) this year.

Top Bottom