What's new

SucKO's Shaving Log (caution, it will likely suck)

I currently work as an Environment/Hazardous Materials Engineer. I inspect properties and test for contamination, design remediation systems, supervise the installation, monitor, etc.
I have been doing this for over 25 years. Previously, I was an Archeologist, but that did not
pay the bills very well.

Why the intro? Well, it's to show I like stats and playing with data to squeeze out the hidden patterns. There is always a pattern, always. We may not know what they mean or even notice the patterns, but they are there.

What about Chaos? No Pattern there! (some may say). But yes, a total lack of a pattern is in itself, a pattern. While you think about this, my cat will sit in judgement.

shadow2.jpg

Now my shaving history, don't worry, the graphs and logs will be following.

I started shaving in 1978 with a Gillette Trac II, used for a week (snagged my Dads blades), I got plenty of irritation, bumps and weepers. I then tried the Atra, (new and shinny but had to talk my Mom into getting me the "special" blades). I used it for a couple weeks, decided shaving was not for me and started to grow a beard. I had a full beard by early 1980.

I kept the beard edges clean with an Atra then a sensor until 1991, then I had to loose the beard for my work. As a Hazardous Materials person, I had to be clean shaven so that I could, if in an emergency, wear face respirators. This meant a DFS minimum whenever I was working.

Oh, the pain, irritation, bumps and bloody mess. My face did not like shaving. I didn't shave on weekends to save my face and let it heal.

After putting up with this for about 4 years I decided to start searching the Web for some advice. None of my family or friends (or their families) were very good at shaving, their advice was shaving was bad for everyone, so learn to live with it (I cleaned up the language they used :001_unsur).

I found advice on Traditional Wet Shaving methods (prep, lather, post shave, etc.) and decided to give that a shot. Using a non-cart razor was out of the question for me, I mean, if a cart was that hard on my face, a safety razor had to be sooo much worse (or so I thought at the time).

I got a dime store Old Spice shaving kit (long since gone) and started practicing Traditional Shaving with a Sensor cart. I made progress, things got alot better. I tweeked and practiced until shaving wasn't horrible, not good, just not horrible. The Mach 3 came and went, that razor just does not like me (even to this day), the Sensor was better. Then came the Fusion!

My first Fusion shave was great, a gift from the heavens! I then upgraded my brush to a badger brush (Tweezerman, gave me over 8 years of great usage. I still have it), upgraded to quality glycerin soap, and was a happy camper. I easily got DFS shaves with a BBS couple times a week. I had some slight irritation by Friday, but not shaving weekends fixed up my face by Monday.

I worked on my technique, procedures, etc. until I could get 10 DFS or better shaves per Fusion Cart (2 weeks). But buying blades, that was irritating. Locked displays, pain in the rear getting help, I dreaded buying new blades. Online? ya, I tried that. Most Fusion blades online are counterfeits and horrible to shave with. But I trudged on. Until....

March of 2017, I decided I have been a relatively good boy, and I was going to splurge on a new brush and some fancy soap. I went to a shaving shop, and browsed the soaps based on fragrance and feel. I picked Martin de Candre original scent. Then saw the price but already liked it, had the cash on hand, and bought it. I then wanted a nice brush, so I came to this forum (been lurking about for years) and based on what I read, got a Simpson Colonel in best badger. But as I read the posts on this forum, the thought crept in, should I try DE shaving??

After weeks of research, I decided to take the plunge, I ordered a EJ89. When I told my family about going into DE shaving, my Mom went searching and found her old Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip from 1957 and gave it to me. I now had not 1 but 2 razors!!

Well, I officially started shaving with a Safety Razor on June 3, 2017. I was a little over enthusiastic (kept re-lathering and making passes) until I had over a dozen weepers and a couple of nicks. Funny thing, not my worse shaving experience! So I gave myself rules to follow. I let my face heal a day, used a Fusion the next few days, then restarted using a Safety Razor on June 8 and have not used a cart or missed a shave day since! (I still skip weekends, its my way of sticking to the man, be a scruffy rogue..... but now I kinda am the Man so I maybe sticking to myself.... :001_rolle).

Since the beginning of June, I have added a 46/49 Ball Handle Gillette Tech and a RR Mission Razor. Unfortunately, the RR Mission and SS-Flare Tip are too aggressive for me. Ya, I have a baby face. But the EJ89 is perfect as well as the Tech, so I do have options.

(editor's note, I have recently purchased off the net a Schick Injector, Model G4 "66" and an open comb new style Gillette (not sure if short or long, the angle of the photos seem to indicate a long comb, but they were a bad angle so I will know for sure when I get it).

So now the charts!!!! (hey, if my monologue didn't suck, it wouldn't be a SucKO story).

The following is my shaving diary showing the razor used, blade, soap and after shaves. A new blade is designated by left had justification, subsequent shaves are justified to the right. Colors are: Green is Great or Very Good, Blue is Good, Orange is Poor, and Red is Bad/Ugly/Sad Memories. The June and July charts:

June July Log crop_1.jpg

and July

June July Log crop_2.jpg

Now that is alot of raw data, nice to look at, but are there any patterns? preferences? Can we find Hoffa's location??? Well, here is a basic breakdown of how often I used certain items and the quality of the shaves (combined stats for June and July)

Summary Log.jpg

Well, there we are. I had good, successful shaves 78% of the time. I really like GSB blades, and the RR Mission and Gillette SS-Flare Tip were not nice to me. I am getting around 3.5 shaves per blade, that is mostly due to me chucking blades that did perform for me.

DE shaving has been very good so far, I am surprised at how well things have gone.
BUT, I am in no way really competent enough at this point to say a blade or razor will never work for me, all these impressions are to me right at this moment, based on my technical skill level (not very high).

Back next month with more cat pics and how the Schick Injector G4 "66" works out.
Also, going to use a GSB and a 7-O'Clock Yellow in my Tech.

Have a Great One Everyone, and kinda surprised you made it this far.

First off, welcome to the journals! I've never been much of a chart and graph guy. I know you can condense considerable quantities of information in a small space, but have never really taken the time to become adept at taking all the information in in a way that is required to pick out patterns or trends. That might just be because the information in the ones I've been exposed to has never been interesting to me, because I'm actually wanting to go through yours more thoroughly when I have time lol.

I really enjoy my Tech for a mild shave when I do use my DEs, and GSBs have been a great blade for many here.

Nice cat! Looks more curious than judgemental in that pic though. :lol:

I've seen your posts around the forum, nice to see you start a journal. Your recap chart/log is impressive, 'round these parts we just post a rather regular commentary of our daily shaves. Same thing as what you've done only no recap. My two cents? lose the Shark blades, you have so many better ones (I hate Shark). WSP Blackbeard is awesome, just wait until the cooler months and you'll like it even more. CAREFUL with the Florida Water, you splash some of that on before bedtime and you are in for some seriously fun dreams. The EDJ89 is a good razor, it seems a lot of the modern razors are very much like the EDJ89. I totally dig the old injector, you will too. Post some pictures ...we like pictures. Consider learning to use a Straight razor, excellent shaves and surprisingly little/no irritation (unless you filet your check). I like the 47/49 Tech but I find it kind of boring, try a 1940's super speed and a pre-war tech, both are much more fun.

Welcome. I love the charts. If you want to try some Personna lab blues drop me a pm I have a few I can spare.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the journals! My official title at work is Information Engineer. I perform data analysis and create custom metrics reports and charts. I live and breathe Microsoft Excel and Access, so your approach to record keeping is right up my alley. My own journals are less regimented, but I look forward to following yours!

Thanks for all the great replies!
I've seen your posts around the forum, nice to see you start a journal. Your recap chart/log is impressive, 'round these parts we just post a rather regular commentary of our daily shaves. Same thing as what you've done only no recap. My two cents? lose the Shark blades, you have so many better ones (I hate Shark). WSP Blackbeard is awesome, just wait until the cooler months and you'll like it even more.
I got the Shark SS and Chrome in a sampler pack. They were okay, I can tell I probably could never get a BBS with them, just missing something for me. I plan to try the Chrome version in the future.

Blackbeard is fantastic. I ordered the Dark Amber, which I also really like, and decided to throw in a Blackbeard, just to try it out. I found the initial fragrance from the tin to be so, so. But when the warm brush bit into it and I lathered up, boy that was something great. I like it so much I always bloom it with hot water just to generate some fragrance.

Oh, by the way, here is a tall ship pic for everyone's enjoyment:
Star of India b.jpg

This is the Star of India, home ported in San Diego, California, USA.

Welcome. I love the charts. If you want to try some Personna lab blues drop me a pm I have a few I can spare.
Thank you for your generous offer. I tried the Israeli Reds, and they were a little tuggy to me. But what do I know, so were the Polsilver. So for now, Personna's are on the back list until I go through some 7-O'Clocks and Rapira Platinum Lux. In the future, I may take you up on your kind offer :001_smile.

I will post some pics of the old Gillettes and the Schick (once I get them).

I just finished a forth usage of the Nacet (using Blackbeard soap) and I am impressed with the blade. Not much drop off from shave 2 to 4. But I want to try a GSB in my Tech, so out with the old, in with the new!

Have a Great One Everyone!

This morning's shave threw me off a bit. I pulled out my Tech and loaded it with a fresh Nacet blade. I had only used the Tech in one rotation and used an Astra SP. I was going to use a 7-O'Clock yellow or black, but since I just did a 4 day shave with a Nacet in my EJ89, thought it would be a good comparison between the razors.

Well, the first time I used the Tech, I thought it was really mild, so this time I used a more aggressive angle while shaving. The result really surprised me.

My WTG is not a full WTG (12 down to 6 on a clock face). I have found a slight XTG pass is better for me, so my WTG is actually a 1 to 7 (/) on right side and 11 to 5 (\) on left. This first pass along with a more aggressive shaving angle (first contact of blade rotating off the bar verses the cap) gave me a DFS on the first pass. Never happened before. I didn't feel the blade, but it left my face feeling like I had done 2-3 passes.

The next pass was a XTG, but once again it was not a 9 to 5, but a 10 to 4 on the left and 4 to 10 on the right. This gave me a BBS on my face and a DFS on my neck and under jaw line. Wow, I did not know the Tech could do that with my dense wirey stubble.

Time for a picture break. This is a hydraulic push drill rig, track mounted. I am installing probes to monitor methane gas. Enjoy
Track Rig.jpg

Back to the shave. Well I have never had that close of a shave with only 2 passes. My face and neck felt like I had done 4 passes, very close to irritation. No redness or pain and just 1 small weeper on my chin (I have a clef chin, so this spot is not unusual to have a small weeper), but it was feeling warm. I could have done some touch-up work and got a full BBS, but frankly, I was not sure what angle to use and how much touch up my face could stand, if any.

So I shut it down, a DFS was plenty good.

My after thoughts are, I way underestimated the closeness a Tech could achieve with a sharp blade and an aggressive shaving angle. I am glade I didn't go with my original plan of using a 7-O'Clock yellow or black. I am going to be much less aggressive with the shave angle tomorrow and the Nacet should be smoother on its next shave.

Oh, I haven't mentioned my other shaving gear. I only use 1 brush, a Simpson X2L Colonel in Best Badger, I used WSP shaving soap with WSP after-shave (Black Amber Vanille).

Until next time, everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Nice shave and good read! I experimented with a steeper angle when using my Super Adjustable and found the results very acceptable. It is all about dialing in what works for you to get the right balance between efficiency and comfort. Glad you took the chance to try something more aggressive.

Due to events of last night, this post will be a NSFW post. Some people may not agree with the pics I will be posting, but you are warned.

Ready???
Wondering what the pics will be? Here we go!

I got this New Schick From Web yesterday evening (see what I did there? NSFW)
Its a Schick G4 66. Dated from 1949, has the dark blue handle and the crinkle/textured chrome
plated head.

Top View
Schick G4 Dorsal.jpg

Bottom View
Schick G4 Ventral.jpg

A closeup of the spring and bottom of the shave head
Schick G4 Underhead.jpg

It came with a blade in (was very happy about that). I got some Schick brand blades (ones made in China) and after cleaning and sanitizing, decided to put a new blade into this gal. The injector fit in perfectly, fed a new blade perfectly, and ejected the old blade perfectly, no fuss no muss.

This is pretty amazing! A razor, manufactured in 1949, was fully compatible with an injector manufactured in 2017, 68 years after the razor was made. So last night, my poor Tech got sent to the bench, and the Schick was put on deck for the morning.

This morning I chose TOBS Sandalwood cream. The shave, hmmmm I want to use this razor awhile before giving any in-depth reviews, so for now I will give some basic first impressions. I hope I don't ruffle anyones feathers with the following first impressions.

There are alot of similarities between this Schick and a Gillette Fusion. The head's basic shape, size and shaving angle. The balance and weight are also similar. The hand feel and shaving strokes are also very similar. The feel on the face as the razor makes the passes is similar between the two. My first impression is the Schick G4 shave is similar (there's that word again) to a Gillette Fusion shave. That is as far as I'd like to go right now. It was our First Date and I want to go on many more before I really go into my impressions of this razor.

The shave. I did 3 passes and some touch up. It was a good shave, 1 small weeper (on my darn chin of course) with a BBS on my face and a near BBS under the jawline and a DFS on the neck. The right side of my neck by the Adams Apple got a little warm, but I got minimal after shave sting (used WSP Dark Amber today, tomorrow will be a Clubman Friday!). It was a good shave, a nice shave, a pleasant shave...... I will leave it at that for now.

Would I recommend this razor? Yes, definitely. Do I think its a good razor? Yes.

Do I think its a razor that has art in its soul, a wild crazy side that is both terrifying and compelling? A razor I would spend hours contemplating what would be the perfect blade and perfect soap/creme to pair with to bring out its song? I don't know, I am not sure yet. Does this matter? Should it matter? To me, I think it just may.... I will see. It was only our First Date.

Until next time, everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Very clever! If you had hidden your pictures behind a
:001_tt2:
tag then I would have really believed you were posting something naughty!

Great writeup on your first date with the INJECTAH! I have not had the pleasure, what with my current affair with straights, barber's razor, my trust DE, and the odd SE here and there. I look forward to reading your complete thoughts once you have formed an opinion.

Very clever! If you had hidden your pictures behind a
:001_tt2:
tag then I would have really believed you were posting something naughty!

I thought about it, almost did it, but I am a newbie here and an "unknown" to the Mods. I didn't want to get a PM from one for being a smart aleck or cause undue concern. There is always another day, and another post :001_rolle

Mail call yesterday brought the Gillette New OC I got off the web. I thought it was a Short Comb and when I inspected it, it is a Short Comb! Its in really nice shape, it still has all its gold finish except the outside of the cap, that's down to the copper plating.

Here are some pics:

Side view of assembled razor
SC Side.jpg

Closeup side view of the shaving head
SC Head Side.jpg

A view of the disassembled razor
SC Disasembled.jpg

This razor is in the cabinet until I finish with the Schick G4. Speaking of which, a recap of this mornings shave.

Schick G4 "66"
Schick (China) Blade
Stirling Piacenza Soap
Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger
Clubman After Shave (Its Friday!)

I used the same technique as using a Fusion cart razor. WTG, ATG then XTG.
The WTG was a regular 12 to 6 up and down. The ATG was a regular 6 to 12 and the XTG varied from 10 to 4 to 8 to 2. I got no weepers or nicks, no irritation with the result being a BBS on face, chin and jaw line with a DFS on the lower central neck. Smooth shave, never felt the blade. Each pass was a reduction of the whiskers with the XTG acting as the close final pass.

I noticed something about the shaving angle. With the shave head properly against the face, if you rotate the handle slightly up (shallower angle) you completely loose blade contact and cut nothing. Does not take much of a rotation, just a hair and the blade cuts nothing but lather. Reversely, you can rotate the handle downwards (steeper angle) and really control the shave from mild to very aggressive. I noticed when shaving my neck, I had a tendency to shallow up the angle and remove nothing but some lather. I had to keep my attention and go slow to be sure the angle was right. Nothing major, more an observation.

I also notice, that due to the shaving angle and keeping the head in full contact with the shaving surface, it seemed much easier to ably more pressure with this Schick then a DE razor. I also noticed that I could use a little more pressure with this razor verses a DE.

Taking my two observations together, steeper angle can make the razor really aggressive, you really don't feel the blade, and the tendency towards using too much pressure, I think that is why in other postings people have commented that they can get nicks and razor burn on a single pass with a G series Schick. Just my thoughts.

Over all, it was a good, nice and pleasant shave.

Its the scruffy time of the week, so until Monday, everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Top Bottom