What's new

Such a Shame When a Company Uses November 11th to Promote Their Business

S
Guys, guys, chill out.
I'm a veteran myself, but this sale had absolutely nothing to do neither with the Veteran's nor with the Remembrance Day - it's all about the Chinese Singles' Day: 11.11. Got it: 1 1 1 1 - singles?
It's like the Chinese Black Friday, and actually outside the North America much more popular than the Black Friday itself.
So I guess no disrespect was intended, everything's cool :)

Alibaba generates 149 billion yuan in sales in first 12 hours of 11.11 | ZDNet

I had to laugh at the pure gall of a flyer for a store in New York city. It was a Martin Luther King day sale and the flyer said, "I have a dream...... of discount yarn and fabrics!"

I truly hope that anyone that takes issue with a sale on Remembrance Day (I'm Canadian) uses the same criteria to judge the much more egregious behavior of HTGAM/PFF/PAA (or whatever they're calling themselves these days).

https---blogs-images.forbes.com-karstenstrauss-files-2015-07-Douglas-Smythe-Forbes.png

Well, I was thinking of saving my 1000th post for something meaningful. This will do nicely. I'm Canadian. Several years ago my wife and I took our young daughter to the Rememberance Day gathering at the cenotaph outside the local Royal Canadian Legion for the ceremony and observation of two minutes of silence at eleven o'clock. Afterwards as the crowd was leaving, a local businessman with a restaurant in town was approaching everyone on the way to their cars and handing out promotional flyers with his menu specials. Just to be clear, Rememberance day is not a holiday "celebration" to be used as an excuse to cash in with sales and to promote business. It is to remember and reflect on courage and the sacrifices made for our freedoms. My father served in Belgium, North Africa and Italy for the whole deal...'39-'45. He fought for this guy's freedom to be an idiot. And anyone viewing this as an oppurtunity to boost their personal wealth on this particular day needs a history lesson. I wasn't offended by this guy with his ear to ear ****eating sales grin, but actually more amazed at his abject stupidity that he would think that a group of people with the death of family members on their minds would be interested in the early bird special. And let's not kid a kidder, the online shaving vendor, a Canadian (ya I got his email promo) knows full well what day it was and what it means, and what it is supposed to be for. Let's not have any more of this "11 11" it's an "Asian thing" nonsense. It's a "get out of respect" free card under the guise of misdirection.

Well, I was thinking of saving my 1000th post for something meaningful. This will do nicely. I'm Canadian. Several years ago my wife and I took our young daughter to the Rememberance Day gathering at the cenotaph outside the local Royal Canadian Legion for the ceremony and observation of two minutes of silence at eleven o'clock. Afterwards as the crowd was leaving, a local businessman with a restaurant in town was approaching everyone on the way to their cars and handing out promotional flyers with his menu specials. Just to be clear, Rememberance day is not a holiday "celebration" to be used as an excuse to cash in with sales and to promote business. It is to remember and reflect on courage and the sacrifices made for our freedoms. My father served in Belgium, North Africa and Italy for the whole deal...'39-'45. He fought for this guy's freedom to be an idiot. And anyone viewing this as an oppurtunity to boost their personal wealth on this particular day needs a history lesson. I wasn't offended by this guy with his ear to ear ****eating sales grin, but actually more amazed at his abject stupidity that he would think that a group of people with the death of family members on their minds would be interested in the early bird special. And let's not kid a kidder, the online shaving vendor, a Canadian (ya I got his email promo) knows full well what day it was and what it means, and what it is supposed to be for. Let's not have any more of this "11 11" it's an "Asian thing" nonsense. It's a "get out of respect" free card under the guise of misdirection.
This! Respect Sir, lots & lots of respect.

This . . . as a nominal Veteran myself (Reservist, no overseas postings), I agree wholeheartedly. My parents were adolescent/teens during the Occupation of the Netherlands during WW2. They survived the Hunger Winter solely by the generosity of Canadian troops sharing their rations with the civilian populace. My service was a means of saying "thank you" to the men and women who came before me, some of whom remained behind in Holland. The Dutch remember very well the price paid by "their Canadians", and commercializing the Day we as a nation have set aside to remember that sacrifice is a sure way to lose me as a Customer. This is not to say I begrudge businesses remaining open, because it is a wonderful thing to see staff in stores, and even the local Malls, stopping what they are doing for two minutes of silence.

They have a sale every day on some of their products.. There is nothing that relates this one to Veterans Day.

Top Bottom