What's new

Successfully moving to "the middle of nowhere."

Twelve years ago my wife and I moved from what could be called a suburb of Detroit to a resort town where we had a second home. I took about a 50% pay cut. The city itself has a population of about 17,000 with the greater area being about 100,000, so not exactly the middle of nowhere. Being a resort town, the population swells in the summer time. Also with Covid and a lot of positive press about the area, more and more people are moving here which is good for our home value I guess. A realtor friend says tells us that we are getting people from San Francisco, Texas, Chicago and other places moving here especially since a lot of people are working from home now. We're getting tired of the traffic and people. Neither one of has walked through downtown (only about 1 mile away) all summer. So it was great at first but we've about had enough and are looking to buy some property to build on near a smaller town when we retire. I always joke to my wife that we need to be within two miles of a hospital, but that's not going to happen.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It will be hard on the kids. That's undeniable and the only thing that really gives me pause at all. My 15 month old son will be fine, but my daughters are older and they will miss their friends and the convenience of "city life."
That type of move seems really hard on older kids. Maybe try to wait or get a second home or get away type place. I had a great time visiting st louis great city.

Top Bottom