What's new

Success!

I finally got an irritation free, nick free first shave on a GEM SS in my 1914! :thumbup: I haven't used it much in the last few months but I have been using more aggressive DE razors and learned a bit about lighter touch shaving that really helped. Still having issues under the nose so if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

I think I'll be using my GEM more in the next little while to continue to perfect my technique. The shaves are truly impressive.

I think the reason SE razors don't get talked about as much is because the blade selection is so shallow. Either this PTFE coated stainless or that carbon steel blade.

Now if there were as many blade choices as there are for DE razors you can bet the interest would skyrocket

I think the reason SE razors don't get talked about as much is because the blade selection is so shallow. Either this PTFE coated stainless or that carbon steel blade.

Now if there were as many blade choices as there are for DE razors you can bet the interest would skyrocket

I'm surprised there isn't much more buzz about the new wave of SE razors that use the Feather Artist/Captain Kai blades or the one that uses the half DE blade (forget the name but I always confuse it with the Rockwell when I see it). Even RR and ATT have new models so I imagine we will see some new interest!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

I think you hit the nail square on the head.

Personally, I think the lack of blades is what makes SE shaving so great! That is one less factor to take into consideration. The other is that the heads on most almost define the proper shave angle and so it becomes practically brainless and all you need to do is concentrate on your technique. Tonight I shaved with my MMCP and that brings up a third thing - the Clog Pruf and the Lather Catchers actually does what the name says and lets you do almost an entire pass without stopping to rinse the head.

Let the others worry about the blade and the exposure and gaps and all other things. For a Gem type, it's just shaving.

I don't find that the lack of many different blades is a problem with SE razors. It seems to me that when there are limited choices of blades, it is possible to concentrate on the razor and how it performs.

I found the bewildering array of DE blades to be an annoyance. Besides, they all seemed to fall into one of two categories: sharp and not so sharp.

The carbon and stainless steel SE blades both work well for me, so as Steve pointed out, I can concentrate on more important things.

--Bob

I think blade selection plays a part. How many times have you seen guys with:
37 DE razors
25 DE blade choices
8 brushes
18 soaps and creams
And a cabinet full of aftershave’s and balms.
Having just a couple of blade choices does not mesh with that trend.

Also there is a more limited selection of SE razors even if injectors are included(although I think there is a nice full selection) with really only a handful of companies.

Then there are those who may see it as a quirk with blades harder to find(Some Stores are now carrying).
Some may see the SE blade and think paint scraper, they may have even tried to shave with those and gave up or tried the low grade blades I find here in Chicago and also gave up…

And Lastly, and I think the most important point.
I don’t think it even occurs to most guys.
The DE razor style and image is iconic, how may times do you see a SE razor in the media or culture. There are even some DE razors available in stores like Target etc, but until recently there are no SE being made(and even those are really pretty obscure and pursued only by some of us fanatics).

Will SE make a big comeback, probably not, but I will never say never. Just 25 years ago(OK, I Get it I’m old) I would have never guessed that traditional shaving of any kind would have made the dramatic comeback we have seen the last few years. I can remember a day back in the 90’s(pre internet) when I could not find any blades for my SE’s, Schick injectors and even DE’s in any of the local stores. I thought that day had passed and was resigning myself to those new fangled cart thingys and canned goo…

Yet here we all are…

I finally got an irritation free, nick free first shave on a GEM SS in my 1914! :thumbup: I haven't used it much in the last few months but I have been using more aggressive DE razors and learned a bit about lighter touch shaving that really helped. Still having issues under the nose so if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

I think I'll be using my GEM more in the next little while to continue to perfect my technique. The shaves are truly impressive.

Great Job!
I have dozens of SE razors and to me the 1914 was one of the hardest to get good at...I say good and not mastered because unlike any of my other SE's I still slow down and pay very close attention to detail and technique. The Payoff with the 1914 is great but the learning curve is difficult. You've gotten there...enjoy.

Great Job!
I have dozens of SE razors and to me the 1914 was one of the hardest to get good at...I say good and not mastered because unlike any of my other SE's I still slow down and pay very close attention to detail and technique. The Payoff with the 1914 is great but the learning curve is difficult. You've gotten there...enjoy.

Thanks, normally I use a milder SE for the first couple shaves but I really like the 1914 so I figured I need to get good at it!

I found the bewildering array of DE blades to be an annoyance. Besides, they all seemed to fall into one of two categories: sharp and not so sharp.

The carbon and stainless steel SE blades both work well for me, so as Steve pointed out, I can concentrate on more important things.

--Bob

Personally, I think the lack of blades is what makes SE shaving so great! That is one less factor to take into consideration. The other is that the heads on most almost define the proper shave angle and so it becomes practically brainless and all you need to do is concentrate on your technique. Tonight I shaved with my MMCP and that brings up a third thing - the Clog Pruf and the Lather Catchers actually does what the name says and lets you do almost an entire pass without stopping to rinse the head.

Let the others worry about the blade and the exposure and gaps and all other things. For a Gem type, it's just shaving.
I totally agree with you guys. I enjoy the wet shaving hobby, but don't mind having one less variable to worry about.

Shave East to West and West to East under your nose, I shave against the grain on my third pass, you may have to get your nerve up to try that.

Shave East to West and West to East under your nose, I shave against the grain on my third pass, you may have to get your nerve up to try that.
For me, it's WTG, out to in, in to out, ATG, then cleanup. No electric razor nor cartridge razor will come close to my Feather artist club.

Gently stretch the lip down, and pucker down. The nose area can be tricky

I think one of the reasons the SE GEM type razors are not more popular is the blades really aren't as good (sharpness) as other blades such as the Artist Club type blades. I can usually get a nice smooth shave even with an Ever-Ready 1914 but every once in awhile I will get really bad irritation on a couple of spots on my lower neck. It must be something I'm doing wrong but I don't know what. I never get this problem with any DE razor blade or my Artist Club type SE blades.

Top Bottom