What's new

Substitutes for post shave balm

Hello Gents, it sure has been a while since I frequented here. I have a serious question for you.

I have some post shave balms (I have been a DE safety razor guy for many years) and I have what is probably a silly question.

These balms seem to me to be just expensive lotions, many are fragrance free.

So am I just wasting money when I could just buy something like Vaseline Intensive Care and get a huge bottle and it works just the same without the high price of these balms?

Thanks,

Dave

I don't know about waste of money or not but I have often used just face cream after a shave and have had no issues. I often use Olay Complete in the summer after a shave because it has a 15 SPF in it. It goes on super smooth and soaks in with no greasy feeling and it gives a bit of sun protection. It is dirt cheap too. If I know the sun is going to be particularly bad then i might put on Aveeno with a 30 SPF although it would be a tad bit more expensive.

Too be honest I have tried countless aftershaves both balm and splash, and my face feels just as good when I slap some face cream on after so I hope this answers your question.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A951D853-A10E-4C09-A481-C068D7C819E9.jpeg
E2DD814F-8209-4910-BE3F-F719EEC30D77.jpeg

I used Emu Oil Cream for quite a long time as an aftershave balm. It is cheap here in Australia under $5.00 for a large container. I only stopped using it as I found that some of the proper aftershave balms that I had stashed away and received as gifts were going out of date. Still use the cream on my hands.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried a few balms and they work fine but no better than a big bottle of regular hand or body lotion from the supermarket and that is what I normally use. Some of them are specific to different skin types so you can choose one that suits you. The cost of any balm is insignificant to what my wife can spend on face cream but I am certainly not going to point that out to her 🤣

I reckon it is more about what you prefer. Nivea soft or nivea creme for men are both other options if you want to stay away from balms.

I use everything from aftershave balm to cheap fragrance free lotion to expensive french Shea butter night cream. Use whatever feels nice. It's up to you. I will say that I treat my face to a witch hazel mixture after shaving and before using any balm so I feel I can slap anything on after that and not regret it.

You can use face lotion. Just try to avoid any ingredients that can clog skin pores, or ingredients you may have a sensitivity to. I usually apply balm or lotion when the skin is a bit wet, you don't need to apply very much this way, so no greasy film left on the skin.

Cerave or First Aid Face moisturizers are good balm substitutes. I use them after using a splash, if it's really dry out or my skin seems dry.

I have combo oily/norm skin and find that shaving soaps and splashes are generally so loaded with face conditioners that balms are unnecessary and just contribute to an oily/shiny faceAnd help contribute to more sebum production.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use Clinique Moisturizer and it works just as well. I suspect any moisturizer your skin likes would work. I like the Clinique because it doesn't require a lot of rubbing on my just shaved face to fully soak in, almost instantaneous.

Well, I went with Vaseline for Men Lotion in the black pump bottle, about $4.99 and it is a very nice non-greasy lotion with micro beads of Vaseline petroleum jelly but I can't really feel the Vaseline. I needed something for my neck which gets occasionally irritated with against the grain DE shaves, although my face never seems to become irritated at all. And the smell is almost completely neutral.

Vaseline For Men Fast Absorbing face and body lotion. Because ~ Well it says it is "for men"..... so there you go :)

It really is some pretty good stuff and not priced like others which are boutique products.

Top Bottom