What's new

Substitute for Peanut Oil

I have recently developed an allergy to peanuts. I have eaten peanuts all of my life and a couple of weeks ago, BAM! I ate a spoonful of Skippy Super Chunk and the next thing I knew, one side of my face went numb. Anyway, I ended up in the emergency room and was told to stay away from any thing pertaining to peanuts. My problem is that one of my favorite foods is fried turkey. Is there a descent substitute for peanut oil? I know that peanut oil has a low flash point, is there another cooking oil with similar characteristics?

I have recently developed an allergy to peanuts. I have eaten peanuts all of my life and a couple of weeks ago, BAM! I ate a spoonful of Skippy Super Chunk and the next thing I knew, one side of my face went numb. Anyway, I ended up in the emergency room and was told to stay away from any thing pertaining to peanuts. My problem is that one of my favorite foods is fried turkey. Is there a descent substitute for peanut oil? I know that peanut oil has a low flash point, is there another cooking oil with similar characteristics?

Check out safflour oil. Pretty similar stuff.

When I first read your post, I was thinking... "Fried turkey...the only place I know where people love their fried turkey is...Yep, good ol' KY." I lived in KY for 2 years :thumbup1:.

You can fry the turkey with canola, it will just break down faster at those higher temps. Therefore, I'd say a max 3 turkeys.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
For frying, which I do rarely, I use grapeseed oil. It doesn't burn easy and almost flavourless.

rice bran oil produces no trans fats,even at high fry temps,has been clinically proven to reduce bad cholesterol in the blood also

Yep...sunflower oil has the same temperature and characteristics of the peanut oil.Best choice i think, and been available everywhere...

Thanks Everyone! Some very good suggestions. It looks like I have several oils that I can use. Maybe my fried turkey days are not over after all. :biggrin1:

Check out safflour oil. Pretty similar stuff.

When I first read your post, I was thinking... "Fried turkey...the only place I know where people love their fried turkey is...Yep, good ol' KY." I lived in KY for 2 years :thumbup1:.

Chuck, thanks for your kind words and also for your oil suggestion. It is good to know that you are still a Kentuckian at heart!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom