What's new

Subracting suit pieces

I own a 3 piece suit that I find to be over dressing to wear the whole thing but was considering goin with just the pants and shirt maybe the jacket weather permiting but it being a dark/light blue striped suit and the coat being a long coat (goes to about mid thigh on me) could I swing with just a plain black belt with the blue stripes?

Personally this is the first suit I've owned and only wore it a couple times for the most part about proper wear i'm clueless...

TIA,
Travis

Are you asking if you can wear just the pants as a regular pair of slacks without the jacket and vest? Sure. Though in my experience pants are the first part of a suit to wear out, so I try to avoid wearing my suit pants as slacks as much as possible to reduce the wear on them.

And you could also not wear the vest and go with the now very normal two piece suit. If the jacket is too long you can have it tailored.

I own a 3 piece suit that I find to be over dressing to wear the whole thing but was considering goin with just the pants and shirt maybe the jacket weather permiting but it being a dark/light blue striped suit and the coat being a long coat (goes to about mid thigh on me) could I swing with just a plain black belt with the blue stripes?

Personally this is the first suit I've owned and only wore it a couple times for the most part about proper wear i'm clueless...

TIA,
Travis

If the question is can you wear the suit coat alone with other slacks, as a substitute for a sports coat--the answer is usually not, Unless you do it sort of ironically. The suit coat will be recognizable as a suit coat, not a sports coat. And you do not wnat folks thinking you do not know what you are doiing. But if it seems like you know you are wearinig a part of a suit as a jacket, hat is probably okay, if that makes any sense.

Other than that, probabiy easier to get by wearing just the trousers as regular slacks. But there, too, if chalk stripes, may look a little formal, and thus liek part of a suit.

Good luck!

if it looks good to you - go for it.

just whatever you do wash them all at the same time. EG If youve worn the vest and pants but not the jacket, and want to wash it, wash the jacket also, even though its still clean. Otherwise they will fade differently

Top Bottom