What's new

Sub $25 razor suggestions.

I would say my beard is not very thick as I can't grow a mustache or a goaty, but I have very sentitive skin. I had a really hard time shaving my neck without getting all red and feeling it like burning. It got a lot better when I switched from using the classic shave foam to Nivea cream with a brush.(it's also a lot cheaper) I usually do one pass with the grain and one against the grain and don't need another shave for about 3 days, so in a week I usually shave 2 or 3 times.
I am currently using Bic Flex 5 cartridge razor with a brush and Nivea shaving cream. I was told I could save money by switching to safety razor.
IMO the reason so many multi-blade cartridge users have "sensitive skin" is due to the fact that they peel a fine layer of skin off every shave. This then necessitates the use of post-shave "stuff" to heal the damage; followed by different post-shave "stuff" if the first lot didn't quite fix it; ad nauseam.

There are a ton of users here who thought they had sensitive skin then found they get little to no irritation later on. The biggest reason why something called beard mapping. Let the hair grow for 3-4 days, then actually take an in depth look at what way the hair on your face grows. Most people's neck hair grows in quite a few directions, thia is why it is such a problem area. I'll bet those sensitive areas may need to be shaved in a different direction.

I would start with a few medium aggressive blades in that sample pack.. Astra SP, Vokshod and then up to a bit more sharpness with a GSB perhaps. Tonnes here swear by a Tech with a Feather blade in it, you could get a few but as your growth is lighter at this point (it will get thicker as you age) I think some of the previous blades might be where you want to be.

IMO the reason so many multi-blade cartridge users have "sensitive skin" is due to the fact that they peel a fine layer of skin off every shave. This then necessitates the use of post-shave "stuff" to heal the damage; followed by different post-shave "stuff" if the first lot didn't quite fix it; ad nauseam.
Is this serious?
The only time I feel like it peels off my skin is when I have pimples.
I never use post shave stuff as it makes things worst in my case. I never was into lotion and balms anyway.

There are a ton of users here who thought they had sensitive skin then found they get little to no irritation later on.
That's great to know, but in my case as soon I changed my shaving cream I saw a drastic difference from before, but I can't shave more than 3 times a week because if I don't wait at least 2 days before each shave, I get red all over my neck.

Reactions: Cal
I used to be in the same "wait til neck heals to shave again" boat. Twas a bit of this and a bit of that and I think largely technique for me. I am not a "finesse" person. My mom says I have 2 modes, "killing snakes" and bull in a china closet. In any event, I got to the point of close comfortable shaves. Unfamiliar hardware or carelessness can send me back to "red bumpy burning neck", but not often. If it is something you want, keep at it. You will get there.

I've used several vintage Gillette razors and now only use the Gillette "Old style" open comb razor. I got it on Ebay for about $15. I sold all the rest.

I either use that (most of the time) or one of several straight razors.

I love the old type thick cap razor and have half a dozen or perhaps more in good shape as a backup for shavocalypse.

I picked up a few nickel plated clone brass handles for these razors from Razor emporium and while at it, also picked up the old type khaki set remake by RE. its well made with a nickel plated old type head a Gillette platinum blade tuck and also a stainless steel polished mirror to go with it. How cool can it get !

Vintage Gillette or modern Lord

Those 2 would be my vote as well. Specifically the Gillette tech and Lord L6 for me. I've got multiple techs I bought for 10 bucks including shipping. And the Lord L6 is like 6 bucks and includes 5 blades. Both are superb shavers. The Lord is zamak and won't last forever but at 6 bucks that's ok.

Seems like a great deal, but it can't ship to Canada. The cheaper I've seen the Fatip here is from Fendrihan.ca at over $40 including shipping.

Great, so for $12.01 USD total I could have a Faqi Mellon head, a Brass handle, a Gillette Super Bluehead and a Gillette plastic handle that will probably go directly in the trash. :lol:

When I have more cash and know which razor head I prefer between the 2, I might get a Gillette Tech, a Game changer, a Rockwell 6S or whatever the new hotness is when we get there.

I would say my beard is not very thick as I can't grow a mustache or a goaty, but I have very sentitive skin. I had a really hard time shaving my neck without getting all red and feeling it like burning. It got a lot better when I switched from using the classic shave foam to Nivea cream with a brush.(it's also a lot cheaper) I usually do one pass with the grain and one against the grain and don't need another shave for about 3 days, so in a week I usually shave 2 or 3 times.
I was planning on getting a sampler kit with many different brand of blades that can be easily available afterwards.
Italian Barber has some Fatips for 26, 25, and 24 and they ship to Canada.

I was about to order a Gillette King C off ebay and read more of this thread.
Just got curious about the Yaqi Mellon and watched a bunch of reviews for it and the Razorock SLOC.

Went on aliexpress and ordered it as well as the same Gillette you got and couldn't resist getting a Yaqi lucky dice brush as I am an hobby boargamer since 2004.

Just got into shaving and I am terrible at it. Why did I do that?

Envoyé de mon SM-A205W en utilisant Tapatalk

I was curious to try the Snmirn, what some have called the "baby Futur." At $10 how could I not? It is currently $7 on a very popular online store right now. Smooth, comfortable shave, still relatively mild opened all the way up.

I was curious to try the Snmirn, what some have called the "baby Futur." At $10 how could I not? It is currently $7 on a very popular online store right now. Smooth, comfortable shave, still relatively mild opened all the way up.
Arrived today, all $6.99 of it, pictured with its Ming-Shi/Q-Shave (top) and original (1985ish Hoffritz) Futur (center).

Cosmetics and feel are fine, magnetic cap works, but I'm a bit dubious that alignment is spot on. Close enough for $6.99 I guess.

Not exactly a baby, its weight is closer to the Futur than the other Chinese contender.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Assured TTO at Dollar Tree for $1 is the greatest value in all of shavedom. Fantastic razor and it’s been a daily driver for 2 years. IMHO I’d stay well clear of the Weishi 9306. Worst razor I ever used; it doesn’t shave at all, like there’s no blade in it

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Tech is a good choice for those who can operate with it's mildness. A more efficient shave can be had with a Schick Type E or G for very little coin ..

Top Bottom