What's new

Sub $25 razor suggestions.

I forgot my Aliexpress password so I created a new account with my new gmail address and found that this razor was $0.01 including shipping.
Wow! :w00t:
That sure beats the usual massive $2.69 with free shipping.
That link took me to a sign in page. I signed in and got this:
1602905013270.png

I placed my order and will have to wait a couple of weeks... or months. I will still look to find a vintage one by the time it arrives.
Keep us updated please. :biggrin:

BTW, this one is a stainless steel version (barring the plastic part of the handle). The baseplate is pressed stainless steel sheet and the cap is sintered stainless steel (it polishes up nice). Obviously it's not the CNC Machined stainless steel type of thing, like a Wolfman... but then it doesn't cost $500 either. :lol1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock SLOC is a nice razor IMO, or YAQI mellon head is the same as the SLOC. Bought one for my son who was a cartridge user and he uses it still, if you cut yourself with it you would have of done something not normal. Very easy going shave. You can just buy the head from Yaqi also and put it on a another razor handle.
Razorock SLOC 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Wish I had an extra Tech to send. I do have a New long comb I'll send to someone who is willing to send this fellow Canuck a tech. Anyone willing to part with a mild razor they aren't using to try something else? Tia, JM

I've used several vintage Gillette razors and now only use the Gillette "Old style" open comb razor. I got it on Ebay for about $15. I sold all the rest.

I either use that (most of the time) or one of several straight razors.

I recommend a maggard razors mr1 or mr11 v3 regular head. Chrome head version is $20. Almost identical to the Edwin Jagger head.

Can get same razor but the v3m mild head that looks like a Gillette tech remake

But I like the regular v3 head. Friendly to new shavers and can continue to use it even when you're proficient.

Wow! :w00t:
That sure beats the usual massive $2.69 with free shipping.

That link took me to a sign in page. I signed in and got this:
View attachment 1169703
Oups. Does this link work?

Gillette Super Blue Shaving Razor For Men

$2.69 is very cheap, but $0.01 is 269 times better :c9:

If I end up liking it, is any handle compatible with it? I am wondering if I should buy this which includes 20 blades of 4 different brands to try (it's just too bad the cheapest available blades in Canada are not included):

ROMAN EMPIRE SHAVING Caesar Double Safety Razor with 20 Blades Sampler for $14.99

Oups. Does this link work?

Gillette Super Blue Shaving Razor For Men

If I end up liking it, is any handle compatible with it? I am wondering if I should buy this which includes 20 blades of 4 different brands to try (it's just too bad the cheapest available blades in Canada are not included):

ROMAN EMPIRE SHAVING Caesar Double Safety Razor with 20 Blades Sampler for $14.99
I ordered one too. Wasn't .01 after tax but still cheap.

Yep. It's a different link to mine but it looks like the same shop.
:laugh: Indeed.
If I end up liking it, is any handle compatible with it?
Barring Fatip handles, yes.
I am wondering if I should buy this which includes 20 blades of 4 different brands to try (it's just too bad the cheapest available blades in Canada are not included):

Personally I wouldn't even consider that one. That's because I don't like the generic R89 design (although many love it). I prefer designs that hold the blade rigidly (like the good ol' Gillette Tech).

The RazoRock Quick Change DE is a very reasonable $9.99 US. But if you like the Super Speed butterfly design, you can also pick up the all-brass original on ebay for well within your $25 budget. Collectors pay a premium to get them with their original plastic cases but obviously that isn't essential. I also really like the $14.99 RazoRock old type open comb, but that seems to be available only with their "build a kit" offers at this point.

I was looking for a cheap heavy handle to go with the Gillette Super Blue, I just ordered.
The more I read, the more I am interested in trying the Yaqi Mellon that comes with a brass handle.
Yaqi Chrome Color Brass Heavy Handle Wet Shaving Razor
It is only $15 US including shipping, but could get it for $12 if I create an account for my mom and get it delivered to my parent's place.
Do you guys know if the Yaqi handle would be compatible with the Gillette super blue razor head?

Awesome. You are on your way to a great starter kit. Let's talk blades.. how thick and how scratchy is your facial hair?

1. Feather Popular: can be found on Amazon for $20 or less.
2. Gillette Tech: can be found on eBay within your budget. I just bought one for $19 last week.

Fatip Piccolo $15 amaz0n
Seems like a great deal, but it can't ship to Canada. The cheaper I've seen the Fatip here is from Fendrihan.ca at over $40 including shipping.

Yes, it would indeed be compatible. :thumbsup:
Great, so for $12.01 USD total I could have a Faqi Mellon head, a Brass handle, a Gillette Super Bluehead and a Gillette plastic handle that will probably go directly in the trash. :lol:

When I have more cash and know which razor head I prefer between the 2, I might get a Gillette Tech, a Game changer, a Rockwell 6S or whatever the new hotness is when we get there.

Awesome. You are on your way to a great starter kit. Let's talk blades.. how thick and how scratchy is your facial hair?
I would say my beard is not very thick as I can't grow a mustache or a goaty, but I have very sentitive skin. I had a really hard time shaving my neck without getting all red and feeling it like burning. It got a lot better when I switched from using the classic shave foam to Nivea cream with a brush.(it's also a lot cheaper) I usually do one pass with the grain and one against the grain and don't need another shave for about 3 days, so in a week I usually shave 2 or 3 times.
I was planning on getting a sampler kit with many different brand of blades that can be easily available afterwards.

... and a Gillette plastic handle that will probably go directly in the trash. :lol:
Don't knock it. They don't produce millions of these things because nobody likes them. When you receive it I'd recommend using it "as is" for (at least) the first ten shaves before trying something else... you might find that you really like it.

Top Bottom