What's new

Sub $25 razor suggestions.

Would everyone agree that if I can't find a Gillette Tech in good condition, the Fatip would be the best available razor in this price point?

Would everyone agree that if I can't find a Gillette Tech in good condition, the Fatip would be the best available razor in this price point?
Just get a brand new Gillette Tech. HERE's the latest in the Gillette Tech line from P&G in China.

I got one to try out and really like it. I'm not keen on long handles so I put my own short custom olive wood handle on mine. An excellent razor at a giveaway price.

Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

The only Fatip I would recommend a newer shaved is a Gentile. I probably would have quit traditional shaving quite quickly if I had used a Piccolo or Grande right off the bat (later in my shaving hobby, I did enjoy them though).

I currently use a Wilkinson Sword TTO (twist to open) that I bought from Amazon with a 100 pack of derby premiums. Very satisfied with it so far (almost 2 months). I suggest getting a reasonable brush upfront, stay away from the Wilkinson sword brush.

If I had to start over, I might buy all my kit from Fendrihan. Great site. Lots of stuff in a reasonable price range. And they give out free samples with orders! Check out their brushes for good value (I use the black and white synthetic and it is fantastic).

For shaving cream, Nivea is actually not too bad and is what I use regularly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wilkinson Sword razors. They are mild and good for a person getting started with DE razors.

This one is under $12 Canadian:

View attachment 1169500

I went with this strategy to start and learn the techniques of DE shaving. It's a great razor to start with. Blade edges totally enclosed, mild shave. 5 Top notch blades included, use current shaving cream and you are fully outfitted for just a few loonies.

Then I proceeded to buy a Gillette Tech and my quest ended. The Wilkinson makes a great travel razor and the wife can use it. My son is getting into DE and he also said the Wilkinson is a perfect starter.

...fellow 🇨🇦

The gillette super blue(tech) mentioned would be the cheapest good option, but you would have to wait probably 15-30 days. Otherwise the mingshi 2000/qshave is good. You could look on the BST for a used merkur 34c, or 38c depending on handle preference they go for about $25, sometimes they pop up on that super popular auction site as well for about the same.

I would.

The gentle is so smooth, bit still a close cutter.

It's also brass (under the plating), a lifetime quality material, like most vintage techs.

I happen to think the open comb is not all that aggressive, but the gentle is a good bet.

(Sent from mobile)

I would recommend the Lord L6, $7.00 from amazon. Great starter razor, and can become a travel razor if and when you want to upgrade.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Go vintage. Tech or Super Speed from Gillette. A Fatip is not something I'd wish on any newbie.
I can’t speak on the Fatip, but my Tech and Super Speeds are fantastic smooth shavers, forgiving and manageable if your just starting out. Recently picked one up right in the $ range mentioned. Good luck with your decision.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Another vote for the iKon X3. I don't have much appreciation for it personally, because to me it's far too mild, but I have owned and used one and it does shave. Besides, getting started with a slant makes you cooler.

The other slant I would say is good for a careful beginner to start on is the Parker Semi-Slant. The handle's too long for my comfort, but I've used it. It's better with a slightly shorter handle, for me anyway. My son has that one now.

I'd encourage you to also "read into" Gem razors. I find the vintage 1912 Gems too mild for me, but that says nothing about how you'd find them. Heck, I've got a spare up on the buy-sell-trade right now for a buck. [grin] You want to try it, I'll put it in a mailer with a couple Gem blades and shoot it your way as a PIF. Just let me know with a PM.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For a first-timer? Hmmm. Nah.
Kind of like how my Dad taught me how to swim. ;)

Use a milder blade. Study up on the proper technique. Take it slow and easy - no pressure.

When I jumped back into traditional shaving, it was with the Merkur Progress.

Got a few nicks, did my research and learned. The OP would at least have a razor that will last for a lot of years.

Just get a brand new Gillette Tech. HERE's the latest in the Gillette Tech line from P&G in China.

I got one to try out and really like it. I'm not keen on long handles so I put my own short custom olive wood handle on mine. An excellent razor at a giveaway price.

I forgot my Aliexpress password so I created a new account with my new gmail address and found that this razor was $0.01 including shipping.

I placed my order and will have to wait a couple of weeks... or months. I will still look to find a vintage one by the time it arrives.

Another vote for the iKon X3. I don't have much appreciation for it personally, because to me it's far too mild, but I have owned and used one and it does shave. Besides, getting started with a slant makes you cooler.

The other slant I would say is good for a careful beginner to start on is the Parker Semi-Slant. The handle's too long for my comfort, but I've used it. It's better with a slightly shorter handle, for me anyway. My son has that one now.

I'd encourage you to also "read into" Gem razors. I find the vintage 1912 Gems too mild for me, but that says nothing about how you'd find them. Heck, I've got a spare up on the buy-sell-trade right now for a buck. [grin] You want to try it, I'll put it in a mailer with a couple Gem blades and shoot it your way as a PIF. Just let me know with a PM.

O.H.
SE razors are intriguing to me. They just look cool. I ran across a pair of GEM push buttons the other day on facebook marketplace for $5 but the guy doesn't want to ship and he is like two hours from me. If I was headed that direction I'd probably pick them up but I rarely travel in that direction.

Top Bottom