What's new

Sub $25 razor suggestions.

I am a Canadian student that would like to get into safety razor wet shaving. I am currently using Bic Flex 5 cartridge razor with a brush and Nivea shaving cream. I was told I could save money by switching to safety razor.

I am on a budget and tried looking for a cheap vintage razor on Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and Kijiji, but I was not able to find anything cheap like what other people have mentioned in forums.

When looking for a new razor, I see that most recommendation would be for a Merkur 34C, but those razor cost more than $65 CAD with taxes which is a bit too pricey for my taste.

Which new razor that cost less than 25$ would you say would be best for someone new to wet shaving?

I still have Flex5 cartridges for some time, so I am in no rush to get my new razor and it’s fine if I have to wait for shipment from china.

As per what I read and what I saw available, I am hesitating between those :
  1. Baili 177 - 179
  2. Ming Shi 3000S
  3. Qshave
  4. RazoRock DE1
  5. RazoRock Quick-Change DE
  6. RazoRock Teck II
  7. Weishi
  8. Wilkinson sword
  9. YingJili 9306L
  10. Yintal

Thank you

I am a Canadian student that would like to get into safety razor wet shaving. I am currently using Bic Flex 5 cartridge razor with a brush and Nivea shaving cream. I was told I could save money by switching to safety razor.

I am on a budget and tried looking for a cheap vintage razor on Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and Kijiji, but I was not able to find anything cheap like what other people have mentioned in forums.

When looking for a new razor, I see that most recommendation would be for a Merkur 34C, but those razor cost more than $65 CAD with taxes which is a bit too pricey for my taste.

Which new razor that cost less than 25$ would you say would be best for someone new to wet shaving?

I still have Flex5 cartridges for some time, so I am in no rush to get my new razor and it’s fine if I have to wait for shipment from china.

1. Baili 177 - 179
  2. Ming Shi 3000S
  3. Qshave
  4. RazoRock DE1
  6. RazoRock Teck II
  7. Weishi
  8. Wilkinson sword
  9. YingJili 9306L
  10. Yintal

Thank you

Any of the RazoRock razors you've mentioned would be my choice. They're the same basic design as a vintage Gillette Tech, which would be the razor I'd recommend as a first DE. They're very easy to shave with. Comfortable and efficient, as they hold the blade very rigidly. The Merkur 34C is a tricky razor to use. Minimal blade exposure and a small range of angle can make it a very challenging razor.

Make sure you get a selection of DE blades to try as well. Using the right blade for your skin and hair type will have a huge effect on the comfort of the shave. Sample packs are available and you can even by blades singly from Tryablade.com. , highy recommended. And don't be afraid of the Feather!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

1. Baili 177 - 179
  2. Ming Shi 3000S
  3. Qshave
  4. RazoRock DE1
  6. RazoRock Teck II
  7. Weishi
  8. Wilkinson sword
  9. YingJili 9306L
  10. Yintal

Thank you

The RazoRock DE1 and Teck II are the same head, just different handles.

I would go with the DE1 because I prefer that handle.

Paired with a Kai, Personna Israeli Red Platinum, Silver Star or Wizamet blade, the DE1 is capable of very good performance.

Just my opinion. :)

I recently bought a razor from Amazon called Roman Empire Shaving Caesar with the gunmetal handle for 8.99 US. It comes with four packs of blades, Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Rubie and Rapira Platinum Lux. The head is very similar to the Maggard V4. Shave is medium aggressive. The blades are worth the purchase if you have never tried them. The company also offers two other razors. To me it is great razor.

Second vote for a Gillette Tech, most probably via eBay.co.uk
It looks like that they have a wide variety in the USD 15.00 range - import tax and shipping to Canada shouldn’t be a biggie so it can work out at around your price tag.

Another price/value champion are the offerings from FaTip Italy with entry level pieces starting at USD 20.00

I recently bought a razor from Amazon called Roman Empire Shaving Caesar with the gunmetal handle for 8.99 US. It comes with four packs of blades, Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Rubie and Rapira Platinum Lux. The head is very similar to the Maggard V4. Shave is medium aggressive. The blades are worth the purchase if you have never tried them. The company also offers two other razors. To me it is great razor.
Just found it on Amazon.ca for $15.83 CAD all included. This seems perfect, but I thought that a medium aggressive blade wound not be good for beginner.

The best beginner razor is the weishi razor. On Ali express u can get the normal short handle or long handle less or around 20 bucks only bad thing is the long shipping time. It's a super mild razor so it is really forgivable and great for quick shaves. I'd recommend a feather or a similar sharp blade for the closest shave. It's very well built and it's a twist to open razor so it's very convenient.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Also it's a perfect starting point to find what kind of razor aggressiveness is best for you. I like razorock razors as well I have the mission and mentor razors from them but I still prefer the weishi as a beginner razor or when u want to shave fast or make mistakes.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

From about 2013 until a few years ago I tried a lot of razors. Then I tried iKon X3 and there I lost my interest to try other razors. I even have a couple of razors I have never shaved even once with because I am not curious enough to try them anymore.

Currently their head is $25 from iKon Razors - An old innovation. A new tradition. Directly from us. - http://ikonrazors.com/ (normally the heads cost $40). I do not like their heavy handle so pair it with any dirt cheap handle you find. With the added handle it is slightly more than $25, but for me it is the razor that rules all of my other razors. You could even buy the most worthless $1-$2 razors you find from china and just take the handle.

Just go slow, the Astra blades are a nice smooth, forgiving blade. Watch some of the instructionals on this site. I started wet shaving again after forty years using a medium aggressive razor (47 Super Speed), watched some videos as a refresher. I really couldn't remember how. Only knicked myself lightly first time. Too much pressure. Good luck!!!

I have used a Weishi as a travel razor for years usually with a Astra SP blade. The Weishi is a mild razor and Astra good quality blade. By the time you master that combination and DE Shaving you may have more disposable income in purchase something more posh.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wilkinson Sword razors. They are mild and good for a person getting started with DE razors.

This one is about $20 Canadian:

1602874175250.png

This one is under $12 Canadian:

1602874267758.png

Just found it on Amazon.ca for $15.83 CAD all included. This seems perfect, but I thought that a medium aggressive blade wound not be good for beginner.
They have another package with milder blades for the same price. The handle is a different color but the head appears the same. I purchased the gun metal version because I wanted the Rubie blades, but I've used it with an Astra SP and a Personna Red IP and it was a very good shaver.

Another vote for a vintage Gillette Tech. With some patience or a little friendly shave-brother help, a good deal is bound to be found. For me, the Tech rivals most modern razors for shave and comfort (though it’s still fun to get the shiny new stuff too!).

The RazoRock DE1 seems good, but it's not available on amazon and the shipping cost more than the razor on italianbarber.com

I looked on eBay for Gillette Tech and I don't feel like spending so much for a razor I don't know the condition especially when I know most people where able to get them for almost nothing couple of years ago.

For Maggard, I think the kits are a bit expensive as I already have a brush and cream. The Fatip picollo would be on the more expensive side, but if you think it's worth it over the Baili that is 3 times cheaper I could get it.

I am really tempted by the Weishi which is $10.87 USD Including shipping.

Wow, I can't believe how many replies I got so quickly.

Currently their head is $25 from iKon Razors - An old innovation. A new tradition. Directly from us. - http://ikonrazors.com/ (normally the heads cost $40). I do not like their heavy handle so pair it with any dirt cheap handle you find. With the added handle it is slightly more than $25, but for me it is the razor that rules all of my other razors. You could even buy the most worthless $1-$2 razors you find from china and just take the handle.

They don't ship to Canada and it's way more expensive where I can get shipping from.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The RazoRock DE1 seems good, but it's not available on amazon and the shipping cost more than the razor on italianbarber.com

I looked on eBay for Gillette Tech and I don't feel like spending so much for a razor I don't know the condition especially when I know most people where able to get them for almost nothing couple of years ago.

For Maggard, I think the kits are a bit expensive as I already have a brush and cream. The Fatip picollo would be on the more expensive side, but if you think it's worth it over the Baili that is 3 times cheaper I could get it.

I am really tempted by the Weishi which is $10.87 USD Including shipping.
The Fatip is the way to go. :)

The Fatip Grande or Piccolo is a world class all brass razor that will last long enough for your children to pass it along to their grandchildren.

Highly recommended. 👍

Top Bottom