What's new

Sub $25 razor suggestions.

Gillette kcg wonderful razor for the 15-20 Blades included are great but overpriced. Get a Gillette blade sampler pack instead to find what you like. Kcg blades look a lot like gilette platinum light blue to me.

Snmirn adjustable (providing you start with a low setting and open it up when you feel comfy. Can be had for 10. Blades included might depend upon country but the razor is forgiving for what you use.

Attachments

• 0841D1FE-54B5-4903-A09C-D898275642B2.jpeg
    0841D1FE-54B5-4903-A09C-D898275642B2.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 362B1A33-58CE-443B-8CEC-6E89AE8EE702.jpeg
    362B1A33-58CE-443B-8CEC-6E89AE8EE702.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 6
It gets a lot of bad rap for being a "mild" razor.
There is always the Pre War, a Kai blade or a shim...
For me they are right in the middle of mild/agressive, a "gold standard" in the best kind of sense. I'd rather shave with a Tech even in a hurry then with a Merkur 34 HD which is often named as THE beginner/entry level/standard razor of choice.
Tech's are like Orange Juice - you always have some at home :c9:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It gets a lot of bad rap for being a "mild" razor.

Conversely it gets lots of thumbs ups for being so mild .. me I just can't get it to work, even using the sharpest Feathers on this steel wool beard. I maybe will try it again later to see if perhaps my technique has improved since the last stab at it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Conversely it gets lots of thumbs ups for being so mild .. me I just can't get it to work, even using the sharpest Feathers on this steel wool beard. I maybe will try it again later to see if perhaps my technique has improved since the last stab at it.

I think the Tech is susceptible to technique differences for sure. Everyone is different, so skin sensitivity level, hair growth patterns and such can make a big difference whether someone likes or dislikes a particular blade or razor.
I get plenty of great shaves with a Tech, but I recognize that some don't.
I think folks should try them for themselves rather than relying on just recommendations from others,

For me the 34C has a much narrower window where it cuts efficiently, using a Tech is like going on autopilot.
The bees knees for smoothness/efficiency, also on tough whiskers, is the FOCS though - sensible priced, 100% brass, built in Italy.

The Tech gets a bad rap from those who don't like or don't know how to shave with a mild razor, that's all. A mild razor will yield an excellent shave for most if you pay attention to angle and pressure, a decent one if you just can't be bothered. It's not my favorite because it takes too many passes to deal with the stubble in one tricky portion of my head but I got nothing against it.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I didn’t love my Techs, until this week’s Tech Tuesday when I decided to pair a pre war head to a RR HD handle. What a difference. The razor came alive with the heavier handle. I used the same combo today as well. Great shave. Try using a different handle with your Tech. You might be surprised. I was.

Same for me on Flat Bottom vs Post War.
The perceived efficiency of the Pre War could only be me and the preference for my 3 Fat Handle ones...
I don’t think it’s just you that thinks there’s a difference between the different versions of techs. It’s definitely a YMMV situation. For me it seems like the postwar contract tech with the fullers in the ball end handle (gold plated handle not the black GunKote)

"Under $25" covers a lot of ground.

How about starter razors for under $15 with a blade sampler? And in a classy package suitable as a gift?

That leads us to the Roman Empire razors, sold by the Razor Blades Club, the folks who sell blades from around the world:

This is a pretty smart idea: giving a nice, generic razor a brand name and a model name, for the DE razors, Caesar and Augustus (what, no Claudius or Marcus Aurelius, my favorites?), so you can recommend them to others.

The Caesar razors bear a resemblance to a MÜHLE R89 razor, down to the handle. The Caesar comes with four tucks of P&G blades, some very good, some not so good -- but that's what samplers are for. The Augustus, which looks like a Tech, also has a Derby tuck. I bought one, the Caesar with the bare stainless steel handle, and can attest that the packaging is so classy that if used as a gift, it will punch way above its weight.

While it's not the best razor in the world, it is a good one for learning technique. I would rate it a 5/10 aggressive, right in the middle. And it is good enough for many people to stick with. If not, the stainless steel handle is very nice, and can be used with other heads.

This is also available from the usual online suspect, I mean behemoth. And it also sells the same razor in other permutations of blades and extras at wildly varying prices.

There is a generic head that is a bit thicker that you can also find online (a DE89 clone?), and is a bit milder, a 4/10 -- very easy to use.

If the Lord L6 hasn't changed in the last eight years, some people might prefer it, as it is more efficient. But it lacks the nice packaging, blade sampler and solid-looking handle. It is light. For the price, it is a nearly unbeatable deal.

However, good, dirt cheap razors do show up in odd places. Sometimes you can find a Baili TTO butterfly cheap, particularly if it is rebadged. Once you realize you need to use a shallower, more acute, blade angle and a sharp blade, this razor provides a remarkably fast, close shave, better than some much more famous razors because there is a larger gap and more blade exposure. The real advantage of a butterfly is for people who are in the military or who travel a lot, because you can't lose the head pieces down the drain or wherever. I see some members' photos of the Baili butterfly with their fancy gear on the shave of the day, and even though this razor is inexpensive, it can deliver a first-class shave.

Of course, once you hit $25, nothing can beat a solid brass Fatip for value. However, not everyone appreciates the Fatip's virtues. (I'm still mourning the loss of the more polished Schone line.)

BTW, it seems Baili razors are disappearing from the big Am****. Perhaps they will be sold under other names in the future?

Last edited:
I am a Canadian student that would like to get into safety razor wet shaving. I am currently using Bic Flex 5 cartridge razor with a brush and Nivea shaving cream. I was told I could save money by switching to safety razor.

I am on a budget and tried looking for a cheap vintage razor on Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and Kijiji, but I was not able to find anything cheap like what other people have mentioned in forums.

When looking for a new razor, I see that most recommendation would be for a Merkur 34C, but those razor cost more than $65 CAD with taxes which is a bit too pricey for my taste.

Which new razor that cost less than 25$ would you say would be best for someone new to wet shaving?

I still have Flex5 cartridges for some time, so I am in no rush to get my new razor and it’s fine if I have to wait for shipment from china.

As per what I read and what I saw available, I am hesitating between those :
  1. Baili 177 - 179
  2. Ming Shi 3000S
  3. Qshave
  4. RazoRock DE1
  5. RazoRock Quick-Change DE
  6. RazoRock Teck II
  7. Weishi
  8. Wilkinson sword
  9. YingJili 9306L
  10. Yintal

Thank you
Old thread but I am curious if you did get a good razor?

I have read through the posts and I agree with vintage Tech, a very nice and very cheap razor.
A friend of mine bought the Roman Empire Ceasar safety razor from RBC and he is super satisfied.
If you want a really mild and cheap razor there is always the Feather Popular, also a very nice razor :)
If you want something more aggressive you could go for a Fatip, very cheap and a very nice razor that will last a lifetime.
I can also recommend Lord, both the L6 and L5, both are dirt cheap and superb shavers.

I'm not familiar with your Chinese suggestions since they are not easy to come by here in Sweden, not since 2018 when we have to pay penalty taxes and extra fee's for everything we buy from outside EU, so a 10 Euro Chinese razor from Ali Express can suddenly become a 25 Euro razor when it arrives in Sweden.

I love the Lord L5; it's become my travel razor because it's so light. That said, I could also use it as a daily driver and be perfectly happy.

For a beginner, I would recommend a West Coast Shaving brass/stainless steel razor handle with a WCS-Charcoal Goods razor head. The cap angle can help new DE shavers learn to get a good shave angle.

Aside from these two, I also really ljke the Fendrihan Kingston, which is a chrome-plated brass razor head and can be purchased for $15 with a stainless steel handle. I actually put the Kingston head in my WCS 78BR and really love that combination.

It may be a good beginer razor but I don't think its something you will like long term. If you opt for the maggards new or a gillette tech or superspeed vintage from ebay. I think they make good beginers and become a vintage usable item you can still love if you upgrade later.

Top Bottom