What's new

styling beards and goatee's

are safety razors good for styling beards and goatee's. i just bought a merkur hd and i was hoping the single blade would give me more precision

marism --

Welcome to B&B! Glad to have you with us.

Like anything new in life, it'll take a little care and some experience. Once you learn to use a DE safety razor, you'll be able to exactly trim/shave to the line you wish to preserve.

This thread should be moved to the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-in Forum.

-- John Gehman

J

Jarmo P

IMO opinion to tell the truth, if you have some moustache etc. You are better with an electric shaver.

Unless you need to shave the other areas on your face closer of course.

welcome!

I've worn a goatee w/ moustache (connected) for years and have been DE shaving for 2+ yrs. I've never had a problem with a DE & the facial hair. Yes, it takes a bit of practice, but it's a low learning curve.

J

Jarmo P

So Rich, never a desire to wipe them growth away has come to you? :w00t:

J

Jarmo P

Thanks, I was just just joking as you well know.

To original poster, I used to grow a beard and moustache. It is just, that style was not for me as I looked like a bum. But when I did, the lectric did the beard trimming trick. Our DEs are only good for the other parts that you might want clean shaven.

Ironic, because I was using an electric razor UNTIL I grew the goatee. The Panasonic Linear which I think is one of the best you can get today. IMHO, if you wear facial hair, you raise the bar for the other areas to be very clean shaven. Otherwise, as one poster stated, you'll look like a bum, or just lazy. The electric wasn't cutting it...doh! So I turned to wet shaving. I get a nice close shave. Just to be clear, by trimming, do you mean trimming the hair down? For that I use a Wahl Goatee trimmer. But if you mean cleaning the edges around the goatee, then read on...

To your question about trimming the goatee, I asked the same question here yesterday. Some folks recommended the Gem, whihc has an fairly exposed blade I believe. I am using a disposalbe blad straight edge with mixed results. The baldes are great for trimming the back of the neck after a haircut, but because they are not sharp enough, they require several irritating passes to clean around the goatee, in my experience.

One member has recommended a vintage straight edge razor, which is also ironinc because I found DE forums while contemplating going totally straight edge for shaving. I don't believe I'll take that direction, but I might, in fact, go to a SE for cleaning up the goatee.

I trim the outer edges of my goatee and square off the sideburns with a DE.

To shape up the rest of it, I use electric clippers with a #2 (1/4 inch) blade-guard to cut down the bulk of the whiskers, then I take the guard off to get the ends of my moustache and the areas to the side of my mouth.

The secret to using clippers is to trim whiskers AGAINST THE GRAIN, a technique that isn't immediately obvious ... it works out quite well.

It works just fine.
Be careful as you are going for that really precise line not to press in too hard. That's easy to do.

I've been using a DE for 2+ years to shape my goatee without any problems.

Now if you're talking about trimming the goatee down in length so it does not get unruly, that's another matter. For that I use a hair (as in what a barber uses) trimmer with one of the comb attachments set to the length I want. The one I have has titanium (supposedly) blades that do not need to be oiled, and a vacuum built-in to catch the hair, but I've owned other models without these features and those are fine as well (if a bit more messy/annoying).

Best of luck.

J

I've been using a DE for 2+ years to shape my goatee without any problems.

Now if you're talking about trimming the goatee down in length so it does not get unruly, that's another matter. For that I use a hair (as in what a barber uses) trimmer with one of the comb attachments set to the length I want. The one I have has titanium (supposedly) blades that do not need to be oiled, and a vacuum built-in to catch the hair, but I've owned other models without these features and those are fine as well (if a bit more messy/annoying).

Best of luck.

J

You got a flo-bee?

I was thinking about getting this one for the goatee and moustache, looks like it could do the job nicely. What do you guys think about this one? Anyone uses it?

I wear a goatee every year from Oct 31st to Jan 1st (hunting season) where I live. This was the first year as a DE shaver that I wore a goatee. I noticed this is the first year that I was really conscientious of how it looked. Some years I wouldn't keep it properly trimmed and shaped. I found that the DE razors (slim and HD) did as good or better that any cartridge razor at shaving near the facial hair. I had a Wahl trimmer that did an OK job but purchased a new Shick Quattro Titanium trimmer. I shaved with this once and it was a most boring experience but I was impressed with the trimmer side. It trimmed closer and more comfortably that the Wahl. I put a lithium battery in it and it had plenty of power. When I shaved the goatee off the other day I clipped it with the trimmer first and then used a slim with a 3-day use Astra Platinum. I recommend the Quattro trimmer not as a daily shaver but as a grooming aid and I paid $9 for it at Walmart. The build quality of the trimmer side was good also.

For trimming, I use a Wahl Sterling bullet
proxy.php

Ex-wife was a hair stylist. Learned all kinds of usefull things from her.

I trim the outer edges of my goatee and square off the sideburns with a DE.

To shape up the rest of it, I use electric clippers with a #2 (1/4 inch) blade-guard to cut down the bulk of the whiskers, then I take the guard off to get the ends of my moustache and the areas to the side of my mouth.

The secret to using clippers is to trim whiskers AGAINST THE GRAIN, a technique that isn't immediately obvious ... it works out quite well.

+1. I have been using dpm802's technique for years on my on again off again mustache and goatee. I also find the #2 attachment the best for me. And the DE works just fine.

Top Bottom