What's new

Stupid question to ask. So bare with me.

Does bay rum smell like rum. AKA Captain Morgan. Or does it smell like it with more spice characteristics?

I'm not fond of the Soap Commander Fortitude smell would I not like the bay rum smell as well or are the smells very different from the general bay rum.

Not a stupid question. Bay rums usually have a pronounced clove note, although there is some variation from brand to brand. I think Fortitude smells quite different from bay rum. Fortitude to me smells like sweet tobacco mainly. Bay rums usually do not smell that sweet. Perhaps buying a few bay rum aftershave samples from a place like Maggards would be a good way to go.

Most bay rums have some rum alcohol scent. But that portion of the scent profile usually weakens and you are left with spices such as clove and cinnamon, and also some citrus such as orange or even lime. Some bay rums have a woody scent. So yes, they can smell like the drinking kind of rum, but usually not a strong rum note. Bay Rum lotions galore are on the market. You may want to order a few samples of various ones to see what you like.

Pinaud Bay Rum is at my local grocery store, along with Clubman. I'm going to pick up the Bay Rum later today. I already have the Clubman.

I will bear with you....but not bare with you. LOL. The only bay rum that I use is VIBR which does not smell like rum to my nose but more like cloves.

First, there are no stupid questions IMO!

To me most bay rums smell of cloves rather than rum, but there are MANY variations!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not tried any Bay Rum products but I would like to. I think that I would rather have the rum smell than the clove smell. I will bite the bullet soon.

I use several bay rum AS. All smell differently. It's not like chocolate.

I find that I blend 2 brands in my hand then apply.

Works for me

I also blend 2 brands to make my favorite scent. I blend Captain's Choice with Superior 70 and I find that to be the best scent of the many brands I have tried.

They vary widely between brands so it's best to try several samples and see what you like. None of them smell like Captain Morgan rum for drinking. Ogallala might smell more like Vanilla, Captain's Choice might smell more like bay leaves and spices, and so on. The cheaper brands will smell more like alcohol. The more artisanal brands might have more complex ingredients to add moisturizing benefits and smell more like spices and essential oils.

As I understand it, Bay Rum *is* rum. It's just made with the Indian Bay, so it's poisonous to drink. It's fair to say that bay rum smells "like cloves", but it shouldn't have a clove smell because it should not have any clove in it. It's just that the Indian Bay is a close relative of cloves, so they smell similar.

I've only tried one bay rum, a fairly high end one. I thought it was awful. Burned like crazy going on and stunk of clove like scent and other spices, lasting most of the day. This is simply personal preference. I guess bay rum isn't for me. :)

Brian.

Top Bottom