What's new

Stupid question, but I need reassuring

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I haven’t used my desktop (25-50 cigars) humidor in a looooooong time. Like...2 years probably. I want to season it and get it going again.

Boveda Seasoning Kit 84% seems like the easiest option. Just drop in the packs and let it work right? Shouldn’t have to do much else? Oh, maybe calibrate the hydrometer? Or is that not even needed if I’m using the Boveda packs. I seem to recall that being the case.

You will still need to season the humidor. You need to build up a bit of moisture in the wood before you put cigars in it. I believe the Boveda seasoning kit also includes instructions, because it’s a bit more than just slap the 84s in and go. I don’t recall. I last seasoned a humidor about five years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s slap the 84% in and wait 2 weeks. Just making sure that’s pretty much it.

It’s slap the 84% in and wait 2 weeks. Just making sure that’s pretty much it.

Sounds like it. It couldn’t hurt to wipe down the inside of the humidor with a barely damp paper towel moistened wit distilled water.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sounds like it. It couldn’t hurt to wipe down the inside of the humidor with a barely damp paper towel moistened wit distilled water.

Yeah....I tried that once and warped my humidor. Probably wasn’t “barely damp”. I’m leery about doing that again.

I’m on day 13 of seasoning a 50 stick box using Bolveda 84’s. It’s dry in my house in the winter so after 10 days I switched the mostly spent pair for the other fresh pair.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hygrometer on the humidor was reading 52% yesterday when I put 2 seasoning packs in. Now it’s reading 72%. Guess it’s working!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm pretty new to all this. Winter is dry here and I started last spring . . . it was a bit shocking as the routine I got used to was failing. Glad I kept on top of it. I find a little bit of a distilled water on a J Cloth on the cedar around the lid helps.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m leery of using any water in there. I ruined a brand new humidor trying to season it with a wet cloth. Fool proof - toss a couple Boveda packs in there. That’s my plan.

Hasn’t moved from 72% since Friday. Unsure if my hygrometer is correct though.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No not yet. I’m going to wait the 2 weeks to let the seasoning really take hold. It’s been well over a year since this humidor has been used. I’ll probably order a sample pack in a week or so.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wow. That is delayed gratification. I think I personally rushed things but it seems to have worked out. I think there is a bit of forgiveness in cigars

No not yet. I’m going to wait the 2 weeks to let the seasoning really take hold. It’s been well over a year since this humidor has been used. I’ll probably order a sample pack in a week or so.
You my friend have the patients of a saint, good for you!
I personally have not used the Bovida packets, but have heard wonderful things.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
2 weeks is up! Still sitting at 72%. I just ordered a sampler of cigars to fill it up.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence

Late to the party but dot wipe down anything. On some humidors that amount of excess moisture may warp things. Use the boveda or some wet sponges in a dish and don’t touch it for a few days or weeks

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Late to the party but dot wipe down anything. On some humidors that amount of excess moisture may warp things. Use the boveda or some wet sponges in a dish and don’t touch it for a few days or weeks
Learned that lesson the hard way. Wiped down my first humidor. Warped it like crazy. Never again.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
OK, clearly I need a hygrometer. I put 10 cigars in the humidor after reading 72% for 2 weeks and it dropped to 62%.

Now, I know adding cigars will lower the humidity. But to 62%? For 2 days?. I added another 69% Boveda pack.

So Now I have 10 cigars and two 69% Boveda packs in the humidor.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Might have been dry sticks, but IIRC most places ship them a bit wet.

I like mine at 65%.

Top Bottom