What's new

Stuck watch bezel?

I noticed today that the bezel on my Duro is almost impossible to turn. This seems to have occurred overnight, so to speak. Typically it's been very easy to turn, or at least able to turn without issue. Today, I had to take the watch off my wrist and still took considerable effort for rotation. Anyone else had experience with a difficult to rotate bezel? How'd you remedy the issue?

Have you immersed it in saltwater?

Put it into warm freshwater for a couple of minutes and then try turning the bezel. If that doesn’t help have a scrub with a toothbrush or go with a wooden toothpick along the two mating surfaces.

(If it's waterproof)

Soak in isopropyl alcohol.

Turn back and forth to loosen "gunk."

Wick gunk away with paper towels.

Repeat until "clean".

Most bezels are held on with a spring clip. If you are relatively "handy" you can use a plastic sprudger, guitar pick, or other soft plastic device to pry the bezel away from the face of the watch. If you do that, you can do a thorough cleaning with alcohol.

I am sure there are YouTube videos on this.

-jeremy

Have you immersed it in saltwater?

Put it into warm freshwater for a couple of minutes and then try turning the bezel. If that doesn’t help have a scrub with a toothbrush or go with a wooden toothpick along the two mating surfaces.
Not saltwater, but I do wear it and submerge it in our swimming pool/hot tub.

I have sprayed Tri-Flow on stuck dive watch bezels before. It works great although likely a horrible suggestion for many watches and bands. Don’t try this at home and best of luck sir!

Every so often, I squirt my watch with a liberal amount of dish soap and give it a good scrub with a wet toothbrush, then rinse. I can always tell the bezel turns more smoothly afterwards.

So, somewhere I read that wearing the watch in a shower will sometimes loosen up a dive bezel. I believe the thought is that the hot water will help loosen things up. It seemed simple, and it was my week to take a shower (yes, that's a joke...), so I figured I'd try it. I strapped on the watch and went to rotate the bezel to calibrate my "before" experience - and it rotated fine without any issues whatsoever. All it did was sit in the watch box for a day.

I may have completely lost my mind. I'm going with the theory that SOMETHING had jammed itself into the bezel, and my aggressive realignment resulted in it becoming unjammed.

Top Bottom