What's new

Stubborn soap scum

Cleaning up some razors working on a Fatboy, it is darned near finished, but it has some spots of soap scum that are hard to get to, scrubbing bubbles won't make a dent in it.

Tried a hot water/dish soap soak, scrubbing bubbles and toothbrush, and light and quick applications of CLR.I'm trying to keep the paint in the numbers, so I am trying to be subtle.

Does anyone have any tricks?

On the elevator behind the guard bar, a slight whitish discoloration. It is either soap scum or calcium buildup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be patient with it and let it soak in dishwashing soap one more night. After that, try to remove the remaining gunk with a toothpick.

A 1:4 dilution of CLR in hot water instantaneously dissolved soap scum. I would give it a try. CLR stands for Calcium, Lime and Rust, and should be available in a hardware store, or even a supermarket.

I have an old gillette I need to clean up and was wondering about steam. I have a steam cleaner with a small nozzle that produces a pretty concentrated stream of hot mist. I was wondering if that would take off the build up?

Full strength didn't even do that.

If it was full strength it was likely not hot. I think some heat is important. I diluted it with near-boiling water. You can also try scrubbing with a toothbrush while it is immersed. My razor was not a vintage, but it had a few years of accumulated crap and it just dissolved in an instant.

Usually magic erasers (the white dense foam) removes just about anything like this. With a decent detergent (Lysol cleaner) I would think it should work... that's what I'll probably try when it's time for a serious scrubbing of my gear.

CLR in my experience has always removed the paint off of the numbers. You could try some simple green or scrubbing bubbles in the aerosol can.

Top Bottom