What's new

Stubborn pen disassembly

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am starting on my 3rd Schaeffer restoration. I cannot get the barrel apart from the section on this pen for the life of me. It is a Touchdown model. I have soaked it and heated it, and soaked it and heated it, and soaked it and heated it. My next step is a pliers, I don't want to break the threads. Any other ideas?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Before going for the pliers, have you tried any other grippy materials? I know some pen restorers like a sheet of rubber, like the matting you stick under rugs, for this sort of thing. An arrow puller would probably work well too. You could also try a soak in a pen flush such as what Anderson and Goulet sell. There's also also DIY recipes on-line. Just continue to take it slow and gradually increase the measures so you don't damage the pen. Good luck!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I actually ordered a spark plug wire wrench. That is what a lot of people use. I do have gripping material John.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Heat. Soaking won't really do anything to that rosin based sealant. It does need to soften. Gentle heat as the barrel is plastic, I've twisted a few of those!

Sometimes when I get really frustrated for a week I send the pen out to Danny Fudge or Ron Zorn and they pull it apart for very little money plus postage, no guarantee though.

I actually ordered a spark plug wire wrench. That is what a lot of people use.
Scott, do be careful with those red spark plug wire pullers -- I've seen a few crushed sections due to those being squeezed too hard. I've never used them, even on my cars.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Heat. Soaking won't really do anything to that rosin based sealant. It does need to soften. Gentle heat as the barrel is plastic, I've twisted a few of those!

Sometimes when I get really frustrated for a week I send the pen out to Danny Fudge or Ron Zorn and they pull it apart for very little money plus postage, no guarantee though.

Scott, do be careful with those red spark plug wire pullers -- I've seen a few crushed sections due to those being squeezed too hard.

I will Doug. I want to do this one myself. If I can't get it I will send to Danny. Since I have done my 1st Touchdown successfully it makes you want to do more.

Top Bottom