What's new

Stubble retracting beneath the skin turning into a BBS - magic or reality?

Well, I don't know what to call it other than a poor shave. I get you don't chase a BBS, but to me if it's not a BBS it's a wasted effort.

When I'm done with my shave, I don't feel ANY stubble, anywhere on my face. And so, I don't feel it for the next 8-10 hours, either.

BBS on my skin means loads of iritation and ingrowns the next day. It takes at least 4 days to recover. But sure, only acceptable standard is BBS.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBS on my skin means loads of iritation and ingrowns the next day. It takes at least 4 days to recover. But sure, only acceptable standard is BBS. Jerk
@samhain666, I see no reason for name-calling or insulting others. My comment wasn't meant to be judgmental or derogative in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "ghost stubble" phenomenon has been discussed before but I don't know what is the reason for that effect.
See here; Stubble remains after shaving and multiple passes - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/stubble-remains-after-shaving-and-multiple-passes.569818/page-2
I always moisturise after a shave so perhaps it is the moisturiser that appears to give that smoother feeling. That lasts about two hours then I feel a hint of stubble.
I look round and I notice I am usually better shaved then other men so I am happy with that result. Using the cartridge the stubble was noticeable a lot earlier in the day so the change to the DE was a winner.

The "ghost stubble" phenomenon has been discussed before but I don't know what is the reason for that effect.
See here; Stubble remains after shaving and multiple passes - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/stubble-remains-after-shaving-and-multiple-passes.569818/page-2
I always moisturise after a shave so perhaps it is the moisturiser that appears to give that smoother feeling. That lasts about two hours then I feel a hint of stubble.
I look round and I notice I am usually better shaved then other men so I am happy with that result. Using the cartridge the stubble was noticeable a lot earlier in the day so the change to the DE was a winner.
Indeed, I think I've seen that thread some time ago.

Still, I think one can only talk about on own's face with utmost certainty.

W/o wanting to be overly repetitive, I can only say that in case of MY face, MY shaving routine, I would check out for the level of remaining stubble after each pass. I typically go WTG, 2 X XTG (in both directions) and ATG. After that final ATG pass I'd buff off any trouble spots, where stubble still remains. Once I feel no stubble anywhere I'm done and this BBS will last for good 8-10 hours. As I shave in the evening, practically b4 going to bed, when I get up in the morning I am still BBS.

Conversely, if I'm not having a BBS shave (not that I practice this) there is no way that sandpaper feel will be gone in an half an hour or an hour after the save. It won't, it will only get more pronounced as the time goes by.

Physiologically, scientifically, I find it very hard to believe that stubble magically disappears. I can imagine though that a tick application of moisturizing cream or heavy AS balm will "camouflage" the remaining micro-stubble, thus giving (false) feeling of stubble retracting. Just my $0.02c

I’ve read some that feel not that the whiskers retract, but the skin inflames with the she shave then settles down. I know others will jump right on and say if there’s inflammation, you’re doing or wrong.

Personally, I’ve never gotten a BBS though I will say approx 50% of the time I experience the “phenomenon” where my face feels a bit smoother an hour or so later than immediately post shave. Science? Magic? Dark Forces at work? Don’t know.

Physiologically, scientifically, I find it very hard to believe that stubble magically disappears. I can imagine though that a tick application of moisturizing cream or heavy AS balm will "camouflage" the remaining micro-stubble, thus giving (false) feeling of stubble retracting. Just my $0.02c
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Yes I rub my hand over the face after moisturising and it feels smooth but that does not imply the stubble is gone. It the sensitivity of my hand that, on touch, tells me it is smooth.
I have taken a jewellers loup and looked at my stubble in the mirror after shaving and, believe me, apart from the light shadow my eyes can see (my hair is black}, there seems a whole lot of stubble left behind when looking through that loup. That loup really makes it look ugly as if I had not shaved but the stubble certainly is very prevalent looking through that loup.
To make stubble disappear it needs wax removal or lazer treatment; I would rather shave every day. :straight::wink2:

When the skin has been in an exfoliated state any residual stubble will take time to retract. Shavers who finish their shave with a cold water splash can hasten the retraction effect.

Its a well know myth that a cold water splash helps close the pores as 'pores' don't 'open' or 'close.' Furthermore shavers who apply after shave, after a cold water splash, to help de-exfoliation, therefore, is like 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.' to be of any real benefit to the skin.

I have definitely noticed this. Previously I attributed this to "magic" - good to see there is a clear rationale ;)

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Yes I rub my hand over the face after moisturising and it feels smooth but that does not imply the stubble is gone. It the sensitivity of my hand that, on touch, tells me it is smooth.
I have taken a jewellers loup and looked at my stubble in the mirror after shaving and, believe me, apart from the light shadow my eyes can see (my hair is black}, there seems a whole lot of stubble left behind when looking through that loup. That loup really makes it look ugly as if I had not shaved but the stubble certainly is very prevalent looking through that loup.
To make stubble disappear it needs wax removal or lazer treatment; I would rather shave every day. :straight::wink2:
Well, we can get anal about it, but the bottom-line is, if you can FEEL stubble by rubbing your hand, it's not a BBS and won't magically become a BBS after the shave. If you don't FEEL any stubble, then it's a BBS shave. Of course it's not "gone" like gone as if waxed and pulled out, it's simply than you can't feel it by touching your face.

When the skin has been in an exfoliated state any residual stubble will take time to retract. Shavers who finish their shave with a cold water splash can hasten the retraction effect.

Its a well know myth that a cold water splash helps close the pores as 'pores' don't 'open' or 'close.' Furthermore shavers who apply after shave, after a cold water splash, to help de-exfoliation, therefore, is like 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.' to be of any real benefit to the skin.
FWIW all the "exfoliation" I do is face-lathering and shaving. As I shower b4 my shaves, I wash my face with whatever bath soap I'm using and that's that. I don't use any specific exfoliation products. It might be beneficial for teenagers, I don't think it has any benefit for a grown-up male who regularly shaves.

I do like to finish my shave with warm, then cold water rinse. It's just a nice feel. I then splash with alcohol-based AS, like Clubman. In winter, when weather is harsh, I switch to balm, like Proraso.

Top Bottom