What's new

Stubble Always Appears Patchy After Shave (Beard is not when grown out)

well guys, ive let it grow a bit and have confirmed my original suspicion is actually correct - length is all over the place. i think it was a little too hard to tell after a fresh shave. it is growing in like a patchy mess, so i think my technique definitely needs work. i also noticed the razor (cheapo fendrihan) appears incapable of holding the blade completely straight on either side. they are sending me a replacement but ive also got a couple nicer razors (nicer than cheap as dirt that is) coming as well a G1 fatboy i just won on fleabay. will work on mapping my face and also my technique in general. honestly a bit humbling to see it growing in like this because i was operating under the illusion that i was a natural at this...:frown2: still, minimal cuts/irritation though, so im not doing everything wrong :biggrin1:

well guys, ive let it grow a bit and have confirmed my original suspicion is actually correct - length is all over the place. i think it was a little too hard to tell after a fresh shave. it is growing in like a patchy mess, so i think my technique definitely needs work...
Probably you aren't maintaining a consistent shave angle as you go over the different parts of the face (especially around the curved parts). Some places you get closer than others as a result.

Try using short razor strokes and approximately the same angle everywhere.

I have only been DE shaving a few months - still much to learn and enjoy
I always find i miss a few spots...usually under the bottom lip and chin...always seem to be a few hairs refusing to die
Once i do my touch ups and get some nice cold water on my face,everything turns out nice and smooth

ok i guess im a little insane (maybe a little ocd too not sure). gf pointed out that it isnt uneven, its just normal areas among hair follicles that do not produce hair. the reason it doesnt look patchy when there is substantial beard growth is because there are more of them than there arent, but after a shave, it becomes apparent that there are areas that do not produce hair. feel like ive wasted some people's time here, sorry about that. would honestly delete this thread if i could :crazy::crazy::crazy:

ok i guess im a little insane (maybe a little ocd too not sure). gf pointed out that it isnt uneven, its just normal areas among hair follicles that do not produce hair. the reason it doesnt look patchy when there is substantial beard growth is because there are more of them than there arent, but after a shave, it becomes apparent that there are areas that do not produce hair. feel like ive wasted some people's time here, sorry about that. would honestly delete this thread if i could :crazy::crazy::crazy:
Well compare the growth to old photos of your stubble or short beard. Is it thinner in those areas? I mean even the thickest beards have patches. Just the name of the game. But there is a lighter layer of hair that takes about two extra days to grow in. Often times they are in these spots

No sweat.

Most are here to help, not judge. We were all new at some point and asked questions with answers that seem obvious in hindsight.

It's all part of figuring this out.

I now have dark, gray and white hair......and the problem is as the original poster mentioned: the dark hair gives the impression of some dark spots (area) and because of this.....I now do shave against the grain and more often...... (before I did not care as all looked similar....same color....now patchy when it grows).

Top Bottom