What's new

Struggling to find a brush

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I would also suggest one of the smaller Omega boars, like the 10015, 10018, 10051, 10075, 10290, 10777.
I think you’ll end up looking at an Omega or Semogue boar. Maybe go for a Semogue 620. ;)
I'm gonna go with the Omega 10290, the knot might be a little big for you. Mine is still stiff as a board after a year, a real lather monster, I got it on Amazon,$8.95.
My Semogue 620, now $22, has turned into a lather hog and lost all of it's backbone. It is soft.
20200904_114529[1].jpg

He’s looking for scratchy. I don’t think there’s a synth out there that will do. You’d almost want to consider a pure black badger, because they’ve got scritch and backbone enough to turn your face red before you even start shaving, but they splay. Though perhaps a 20mm or so might well do the trick.

The scratchiest knot I ever used was a 22mm boar knot I bought from aceshaving out of China intending to put it in an old Surrey handle. I, however, do not like stiff and scratchy brushes, so I yanked it back out and got rid of it. That knot felt like lathering with a kitchen scrub brush and I didn’t feel like it would ever break in.
where does aceshaving sell products, I see they have a website, but no way to purchase?

Looks like you’ve got some brushes picked out. I would say the short and scrubby that someone recommend it was a good option. You might like the mix midget but while it’s a nice brush I certainly wouldn’t say that it has a lot of backbone. On the other hand what I would’ve recommended is if you can find a new old stock or in great condition vintage mixed brush, they tended to be exactly what you’re looking for, small and scrubby and they didn’t bloom an excessive amount. The Kent army style brushes which went under 1000 names and came in boar, badger and also mixed Are a good example of this. The boar ones are like lathering with a broom, the badger ones are pretty respectable for that eras low to mid range badgers, but the mixed models are basically exactly what you describe looking for.

I am unsure the full breadth of Semogue’s mixed hair lineup now too, but it’s possible they have an option that is small and low lofted enough to meet your needs and those are great little brushes.

I would go with the Omega 10051 I have one that's 3 years old and its still scrubby as hell, but that is a 21mm knot....

I'm in the same boat somewhat, except I don't care too much about knot size as long as not too small. The 2 omegas I have proraso and 10029 are ok, but not near scratchy enough. My simpsons special pure is way too small and still not that scratchy to me. Thought about getting a semogue 620, but heard that one turns soft as well. I think I need a black badger, or something different perhaps a horse.

I'm in the same boat somewhat, except I don't care too much about knot size as long as not too small. The 2 omegas I have proraso and 10029 are ok, but not near scratchy enough. My simpsons special pure is way too small and still not that scratchy to me. Thought about getting a semogue 620, but heard that one turns soft as well. I think I need a black badger, or something different perhaps a horse.
My 1470 is still good and scrubby, if I don't soak it too long. I'd get the 610 over the 620. That knot has the perfect density in my opinion

You can also buy it here from Connaught for a lot less.

They also have the 10290 for a good price.
Thank you for the URLs. Those are both 24mm, however. Size wise my 10777 is close to perfect (loft a liiiitle long) and I'd like to find an Omega with a bit more density. Rocks socks for an eight dollar brush, though.

Go to CVS or Walmart and get yourself a Vanderhagen. Good reliable workhorse & lasts a good long time. Only costs a couple bucks- no fuss- no muss- just brush.

Top Bottom