What's new

Struggling to find a brush

proxy.php

I’d say this?

I'm really liking the look of the specs on the Omega 10015, but I'm noticing a discrepancy. On the thread that lists all omega knots by size states that the 10015 is a 20mm knot.

Omega 10015
96x49x47x20
20/49

However multiple vendors, fendrihan.com for example, lists it as a 22mm. Can anybody verify either way?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a Proraso (made by Omega and rebranded) that is scrubby. It is probably bigger than you are looking for, but I have a tough beard but even after a week's growth it is no match for this brush. The Omegas tend to be harder than the Semogues.

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_225011.jpg
    IMG_20200903_225011.jpg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 10
OK, this brush exceeds your knot width parameter threshold....but I think it's the one you seek. It's VERY scrubby to me and does not feel large whatsoever, despite the fact that it has a 24mm knot. It has a loft of 44mm which is extremely short, but since there's no glue bump whatsoever, it doesn't feel like a synthetic brush at all. It's too short and scrubby for me but I think you may just love it, despite the fact that the knot is a few mm over your requirement. Also, I have found that my natural brushes cannot exceed 22mm as well...but not synthetics, they are fine for me up to 24mm.

I have a Semogue 2015 HD - 22 mm high density 2-band finest. Terrific smaller brush. I have a hunch that that HD version may be too much hair for you. With the caveat, that I don’t have (the not high density) 2015, I have a hunch that the 2015 may just be your brush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Semogue 2015 HD - 22 mm high density 2-band finest. Terrific smaller brush. I have a hunch that that HD version may be too much hair for you. With the caveat, that I don’t have (the not high density) 2015, I have a hunch that the 2015 may just be your brush.

The Simpsons Berkeley 46 in best sounds right up your street.

These sound like very nice brushes if either could be purchased for under $30 (which is one of the OP's criteria).

...felt like all it was doing was painting lather over my beard growth (my beard grows very parallel to my skin and I don't think the Yaqi was firm enough to lift the hairs to lay down some lather for the hair to lay on, if that makes sense.

How often are you shaving? Daily? Because unless you are going days between shaves, the idea that you need to "lift" your beard hairs to hydrate your stubble is a shaving myth.

It's okay to like firm scrubby brushes just for the feel. But a good pre-shave routine will hydrate your stubble regardless of the brush type or how you apply the lather.

I'd like to follow up as I was at work for the prior post. Simpson and shavemac pure brushes are unique as the tips are not clipped to shape the knot. Some makers lower grade brushes look like they just got a haircut! Pure is a common, less expensive grade of hair but the brushes from shavemac or Simpson are built with care and QC just as any other brush.

While I think shavemac seems to have a finer grade of hair my favorite is Simpson. They have brushes with stouter lofts than the shavemac configuator will allow and my most recent shavemac is a bit light in density making Simpson's backbone more to my liking.

Pure will always be scrubby and have some prickle even though they do break-in over time. A fine shave!

I'm really liking the look of the specs on the Omega 10015, but I'm noticing a discrepancy. On the thread that lists all omega knots by size states that the 10015 is a 20mm knot.
Omega 10015
96x49x47x20
20/49
However multiple vendors, fendrihan.com for example, lists it as a 22mm. Can anybody verify either way?
It's common that manufacturers often don't give their suppliers the knot size, in which case the supplier usually measures the knot diameter at the top of the handle. The supplier then states their measurement of the knot diameter... which it isn't. In general the knot diameter is ~2mm smaller than the hole in the brush handle.

A brush that appears to fit ALL of your requirements is the Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget."

Here's mine ('scuse the blurry photo):
Omega-11047_2017-12-19_2.jpg

1599186051163.png

The great thing (IMO) about Omegas is that they keep their shape, and don't bloom madly like Semogues and many others.

From your OP, perhaps Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers would confirm that this is the brush you're looking for (when comparing your requirements to his experiences of the Mixed Midget).

As Old School said that Special in Pure its a scratchy bugger but builds a ton of lather for its size . I picked one up a couple of months ago. I like a bit of scratch with my scrub so its a good fit.

@SterFry

I happen to have a 1470 which you said you kinda sorta liked. I did a test lather with it (and took some photos) so you can get an idea about the T2 I recommended. The knot of the T2 looks enormous but as can be seen from the top down view (and while in use), this is by no means a huge and sloppy brush whatsoever. The 1470 felt like a large mop in my hand, the T2 not so much. Hope this helps!

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

From your OP, perhaps Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers would confirm that this is the brush you're looking for (when comparing your requirements to his experiences of the Mixed Midget).
The reason I asked Jim to comment on the Mixed Midget is that he's used his recently. I checked and it's been 2½ years since I used mine! So, naturally, I had to take it out of retirement and have a shave:

SOTD_2020-09-04.jpg

The photo is just post-shave so the brush is a little damp. I have no idea why I've left it resting for so long.

This little baby is a "lather monster." :cornut:

What you're looking for and what the Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget" provides:
KNOT: Prefer 19-21mm. I absolutely draw the line at 22mm. This is a must
Knot 20mm (22mm at top of handle)

LOFT: Prefer 45-48ish mm...50mm max.
Loft 46mm

BACKBONE: Very high priority. Emphasis on stiff, coarse and scratchy.
Yep, all o' them.

DENSITY: Prefer lower density. Could tolerate one beginning to approach moderate density range if I had to. No lather hogs.
Definitely NOT a lather hog. Excellent flow-through.

SOFTNESS: Zero priority
:laugh: That's just as well then.

HANDLE: Not tripping about the handle as long as it's not very big.
Definitely not very big. A nicely weighted acrylic handle.

PRICE: $30 budget
$13 at West Coast Shaving.

Top Bottom