What's new

Struggling to find a brush

I have been reading forums and descriptions trying to find a brush that I really like but so far have been disappointed with my purchases and I'm growing discouraged. I will try again. This time with as much specific information as I can including the brushes I've already tried and why I don't like them.

General: I need a small, stiff scrubber with maximum backbone that doesn't splay excessively when broken in and is not very dense...so probably boar. I face lather with soaps.

Brushes I already own:
Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Tuxedo: I don't like it. It's too big, WAY too soft and WAY too dense.
Unknown badger Dad gave me: Too big, too soft, loft too long and splays considerably
Semogue 1470: This one I actually kinda sorta like. The density is about where I like it but it's too big. The current stiffness/backbone is decent but I can already tell I will not be once it's broken in.

What I'm looking for:
KNOT: Prefer 19-21mm. I absolutely draw the line at 22mm. This is a must

LOFT: Prefer 45-48ish mm...50mm max.

BACKBONE:Very high priority. Emphasis on stiff, course and scratchy.

DENSITY: Prefer lower density. Could tolerate one beginning to approach moderate density range if I had to. No lather hogs.

SOFTNESS: Zero priority

HANDLE: Not tripping about the handle as long as it's not very big.

PRICE: $30 budget

What do you guys think? Can you help me find my brush, or am I hunting unicorns over here?I though about the 40033 but 24mm is too big. Please help. Thank you.
You need an Omega Mighty Midget, needs a bit of a brake in and then it's just what you want.....you will fall in love w it.

When I read your description I thought right away of the Semogue Pharos C3 Synthetic. It might be a hair taller than the 1470 but I consider it a pretty small brush.

You need an Omega Mighty Midget, needs a bit of a brake in and then it's just what you want.....you will fall in love w it.
I have it. It's a fine brush. Quite the little lather monster.
I thought it was only the Omega 11047 Mixed Midget that you had SterFry. Do you have the Omega 40033 Mighty Midget too?

GroomingKit_2017-10-20.jpg

11047 on the left, 40033 next to it.

I thought it was only the Omega 11047 Mixed Midget that you had SterFry. Do you have the Omega 40033 Mighty Midget too?

View attachment 1250346
11047 on the left, 40033 next to it.
This thread is months old. I now have...

Omega: 40033, 11047, 13564, 10275, 10777 and one that I can't recall the nomenclature

Semogue: 1470, c3 in the mail, c5 premium boar in the mail

Zenith: B-17, B24 in the mail

Simpson: Berk 46 best, vulfix 375 super in the mail. I'm eyeballing the Emperor 3 in super on amazon for $99, too.

Muhle STF 19mm, Sagrada Familia, Maggard Tux, timberwolf, AP shave co SynBad, Cashmere, 2bed, and 4 or 5 more yaqis and a SF synthetic.

I have a SF 22mm 2 band on the way, and I'll probably buy more today. I'm probably forgetting a few others.

When I first wrote this post I was still fighting the good fight vs SBAD. I've long since surrendered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom