What's new

Struggling On...

Glad you're here, welcome! Great advice already posted. Limit the number of passes on your neck. And don't shave any area that has already had the lather removed. In other words, you've shaved over an area & you see a spot you want to touch up to clean it up a little more. Don't do it unless you apply more lather to that area first. That can be a sure way to get razor burn & irritation. Ask me how I know! LOL!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Cold water shaving helped me. After a hot shower, I splash my face with cold water and rinse the razor off with cold water as I'm shaving. No hot water.

I have the same issue as you...neck is easily irritated. Don't skip applying more lather for additional passes. Even touch ups I'll put down the razor and grab the brush to apply more protective lather. No more relying on residual slickness for me. Residual slickness is good, but sometimes it's not enough. After my shave is done, I'll splash my face with cold water again, dry it off and then apply witch hazel. Witch Hazel makes my face feel good.

I also use Lucky Tiger Face Tonic after the Witch Hazel has dried down. There are other recovery splashes on the market also. I have a Zingari Man one that I like.

One other note...If your neck is a mess with redness and irritation...give it a chance to heal. Skipping a day won't kill you and it'll give your neck a chance to look and feel better. Apply something to help it heal up if it's that bad.

Happy Shaves!

I’ve always had some neck irritation on 1 particular spot on my neck. I stopped caring after a while. When I started using open comb razors I started to notice those little red bumps started fading away. Unsure exactly why, but it’s a thing. I don’t know if it’s the OC design itself, or if they actually are more “aggressive” and that’s what I needed. Regardless, open combs help me out.

When you mentioned tugging and twanging the first thing I thought of was use a different blade(brand). I see you have a blade sampler coming. I think I went through over a dozen different blades before I found a smooth one. Funny thing about it was it was a blade I don't think I would have bought, it was sent with a vintage razor I bought. Even after I found 2 different blades that work for me when I would place an order for some new things I would order a tuck of a couple other blades. Think I tried at least a half dozen after finding those 2.

If it wasn't for the fact that you mentioned weepers when you mentioned a rash or redness on your neck I would have mentioned the soap may be causing it. I had a few different soaps that I would get a slight burning sensation from. I would get a reaction from the soap and end up with irritation afterwards.

As far as weepers goes I found it was from pressure when I started or slips with the razor. I liked my twin carts and disposables because I had very little weepers but unless I shaved every 2 days it would clog those type of razors and I got tired of shaving and that is one of the reasons I like DE shaving. For week old growth I would use my Dad's Schick and it is an aggressive razor and I used it like twin disposables and I always had weepers, especially on my neck. When I found DE shaving over 4 years ago I also learned about the no or very light pressure thing. I can even use that Schick now and unless I slip I don't have weepers anymore.

Good luck and hopefully you get the hang of it.

Blades and razor(s) that really makes the difference(for me), I was getting nowhere and no improvement with my initial setup, I changed my blades, a thousand times better, changed the razor another thousand times better. I'd go with blades first!

Funny how the YMMV is really at work here
Carts always gave me nasty neck irritation, as soon as I switched to DE it went away within a week, and havent seen any irritation on my neck since.
No matter what I tried carts always tore my neck up
But if you really wanna take the plunge mayeb to SR shaving, that will save your neck for sure.

Again, thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Couldn’t help but have another shave today. I wasn’t going to but I went for it anyway.
Still neck irritation but I managed 3 passes today with around the same amount of irritation. I only did 3 as the upper part of my face needed it.

I think it’s still definitely part technique/angle/pressure. However, I’m still looking forward to trying new blades and see how I get on.

Also, thinking about it, the irritation is mainly on the left side of my neck. I’m right handed so it’s clearly my left hand struggling to keep the technique up compared to the right. I haven’t found a way to use my right hand on the left side of my neck yet.

Also, thinking about it, the irritation is mainly on the left side of my neck. I’m right handed so it’s clearly my left hand struggling to keep the technique up compared to the right. I haven’t found a way to use my right hand on the left side of my neck yet.
If you keep using your left, muscle memory will develop over time and it will improve. I just turn my chin to the far right and up slightly to shave the left side on my throat with my right hand though. What ever works for you though.

If you keep using your left, muscle memory will develop over time and it will improve. I just turn my chin to the far right and up slightly to shave the left side on my throat with my right hand though. What ever works for you though.

Sounds like a plan. I’d prefer to use my right so I’ll give that a go! Thanks.

A lot of excellent advice.

My 2 cents would be to simply try a SR, the Feather Artist Club SS to be exact.

You see, all of us who are devoted SR users have "been there, done that", while none of committed DE users have used a SR ever or only for an insignificant amount of time to develop an educated opinion.

Accept the fact that shaving with a SR is the only way to achieve the ultimate mild, gentle and totally irritation free shave. DE will never get you there.

I could write a "book" on explaining all the nuances, but just do yourself a favor and accept this for a fact. It is what it is.

Get a Feather AC, all your troubles will be soon gone.

I am right handed and I could never shave with my left hand. I am not that coordinated with my left to even try it. I start on the right side first(can't do left first or I would end up with lather on my upper chest/shoulder) and for the left side cheek I turn my head to the right and shave that and for me the neck is quite easy on the left side. I don't change the way I hold razor, just change or pivot my wrist. If you can picture this, I hold my razor like I would when I first pick up a pencil from the table. My first pass is down on my cheeks doing the right cheek, I then rotate my wrist/arm 180 degrees using the other side of the razor for shaving up on the my neck. Rinse razor and do the left side the same. Now I know you likely have a different pattern on how you shave your face it was just to demonstrate how I rotate my wrist/arm to do both directions. Left side of face is just a turn of the head to the right and to reach over. But if you have worked out using your left to shave with that is great and I am envious, I just don't trust my left to do it. This is also the reason I have not picked up a shavette or a SR because I know I would struggle to do the left side of face too much.

I too am right handed, but made a commitment a while back to become more ambidextrous. Not just shaving, but teeth brushing, eating, even for my computer mouse. Early on it was a struggle, and still is for some things, but overall it's been a success. I'm at the point now where it feels strange shaving with my right hand! I'd encourage you to spend some time, learn to use your left hand for any number of things, it might help your shaving.

A much better attempt today. Much less irritation and that’s without changing the blade. So better technique I think. Also changed the way I made/prepared the lather after an article on here.
Also, I skipped a day shaving which might have helped!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I first starting using a DE, I would use my old cart to finish what my cart left on my neck. Practice makes perfect. I got my angle down and never looked back.
Good advice here. There is no shame in using a cart on those "neck sworls" or cowlick like patterns near some folks necklines! You'll soon be using a DE all over your face with no issues whatsoever.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve always had some neck irritation on 1 particular spot on my neck. I stopped caring after a while. When I started using open comb razors I started to notice those little red bumps started fading away. Unsure exactly why, but it’s a thing. I don’t know if it’s the OC design itself, or if they actually are more “aggressive” and that’s what I needed. Regardless, open combs help me out.
Yes, I believe it "is a thing" lol! My best, closest, LEAST irritation shaves are from a hundred year old Gillette Long Comb. Just sounds like an impossibility though!

Top Bottom