What's new

Struck GOLD!

Gents,

Two weeks ago I was able to snag a 13/16 Dubl Duck Goldedge off of eBay.

The blade arrived in excellent condition, BARELY BARELY used, but with a muted tip and warped scales. I put the scales in boiling water, and straightened them out enough so that it is easy to close without hitting the sides.

7B688944-8768-4EB1-9041-69CB578CE3C2.jpeg
F3EA86D0-F859-41CC-BBE9-A13ECD672325.jpeg

Before I honed it, I looked at the grind, and noticed that it appeared to be the most symmetrical grind I have seen, and it is certainly one of the thinnest full hollow blades that I have seen as well! A truly WICKED full hollow! These observations made me curious and excited.

I then honed it through what is becoming my regular progression...kill the edge, 1K Chosera, 4K Shapton Glass, 8k Naniwa w/White Lobster Mark, Jasper on the finishing side with Oozuku Tomo Nagura Slurry diluted down to eventually just water, 10 laps on the finished side of the Jasper under water, and then 50-60 laps on this Escher Barbers Gem with light slurry eventually diluted down to water. The razor was an absolute joy to hone, and the bevel near the edge turned out to be pristine under the 30x loupe!

58EC5771-DF38-488A-94FB-79E3DAC4EBE1.jpeg

The resultant edge and shave blew my little chicken nugget mind! This particular razor lived up to the hype and mystique surrounding Dubl Du, and for 98 shipped I feel like it was a pretty good deal for a shaver of this caliber!

My habit of adhering to the “Two is One...One is None Principle” kicked in, and I said...let me check eBay again. Well the newest listing had a buy it now for 95 dollars and the Dubl Duck Goldedge appeared to be a mint. However, a width wasn’t listed, but the listing did show this box.

35C01163-9E9E-431A-BA4C-C200DA697350.jpeg

Now this box says Round Point and a size of 5/8. However the razor pictured had a spike point, and what appeared to be a fat blade.

Furthermore, it appeared to be minty/NOS. I couldn’t tell for sure, and with a 95 buy it now I didn’t bother even asking the seller the questions...I took a shot!

Vr

Matt

Thanks Gents!

Rbscebu...I like where yer heads at on this one! It seems to be raining 13/16s right now, but usually these are tough to find...so it’s going to take quite some time!

Vr

Matt

Every Shave An Experience!

Those are stunning but you do know you're still missing 3, a dubl duck special and a Wonderedge also the Satinedge.

HA! Just the other day I was thinking my collection was near complete...that was foolish!

Vr

Matt

I think I need you to stop posting for my Oct. Grume. You're making it very difficult for me. Actually though, beautiful razors Matt.

Thanks! I sure hope the NOS one shaves as well as the one with that muted tip. If so, these might give the Filarmonica 14s a run for their money!

The 13/16 is a really nice shaving size!

Vr

Matt

Thanks! I sure hope the NOS one shaves as well as the one with that muted tip. If so, these might give the Filarmonica 14s a run for their money!

The 13/16 is a really nice shaving size!

Vr

Matt
I've always heard that pitting on the old golducks is essentially a deal breaker due to how fine the hollow is. I'm sure, as there appears to be none on those razors, they will both be fantastic razors.

I've always heard that pitting on the old golducks is essentially a deal breaker due to how fine the hollow is. I'm sure, as there appears to be none on those razors, they will both be fantastic razors.

Yes zero pitting...zero blemishes on the blade faces. There is a mark on the spine on the one that I used the other day...barely noticeable.

The blade is so thin at its thinnest...I do believe that it probably wouldn’t be able to handle pitting.

It’s probably my imagination, but I swear I could feel the blade flexing/contouring to my face...and I was using a very light touch.

Vr

Matt

Glad to read you liked how it shaves. Before I picked SR shaving they seemed to be very sought after and then the excitement fizzled. Lately I am seeing some people post how they are over rated etc. I disagree, what's not to love. Great shaver, easy to hone and I also like ducks. Win, win, win.

Top Bottom