What's new

Strops

Just wondering is there anything else you can use on your strops other than strop paste that does pretty much the same thing?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
[closing tab to Jende Industries…] Um, no. Sorry. Just never use Lexol leather cleaner by itself unless you like rock-hard strops. If the conditioner stops that, I didn’t apply it in time

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If dry for my liking when new, I use a leather conditioning cream of beeswax and Shea butter blend. Rub well in, leave for at least 30 minutes and then polish off. After that, all I do is rub my leather strops with the underside of my forearm before and after each use.

Works well for me.

Remember that the "oilier" your strop, the heavier the draw. Some prefer a heavy draw, other do not.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Neats foot oil has always been regarded as the best thing to moisturize a strop. A few drops rubbed in with the palm of the hand is plenty. Don't overdo it.

Your own natural skin oils will do the job just fine, actually. Try rubbing the strop across your forehead and then giving it a vigorous rub with the palm of your hand. Repeat daily until you are satisfied.

A smear of beeswax rubbed in thoroughly every day until you are happy will maybe give you the effect you desire.

Honestly, most strops require nothing at all. YMMV.

If you make your own strop, try painting the back side, or flesh side, with neats foot or a blend of that and whatever else strikes your fancy. Then a few drops rubbed into the hair side with the palm of the hand. Let it hang undisturbed for a week or two and check it. Repeat if desired. I have also rubbed strained beef tallow into a brand new DIY cowhide strop, and it does a good job of softening the leather. If you are rehabilitating a vintage strop found in the wild, Neats foot, neats foot, and more neats foot. Rub, rub, rub. Hang it where it won't be disturbed for a few weeks, see what you got. If you got too much oil, you can draw it out by packing it in clay type kittly litter, preferably unused. Or garage oil absorber, which is almost exactly the same thing. Or press between two "diaper" oil absorber pads for a few days. Treat with saddle soap and a soft toothbrush, dry, and you should be okay.

There IS such a thing as overthinking this.

I use Fromm strop dressing since it wont affect the draw on a strop. But mostly all you will need is the palm of your hand. The only strops that get strop dressing are vintage ones that are really dried out. I think I've had my Steerdovan strop for over a year and have not added anything to the leather and I live in an area that is bad for really anything. Hell car tires generally last about 1-2 years before they start cracking, and that's with using armor all.

I've got a few vintage strops that I haven't used anything but my palm with.

Tony Miller has forgotten more about strops than most people know. He says to (for the most part) just leave the leather be. Maybe rub it with your hand occasionally. I have never used any foreign substance on my strops. They work just fine.

None of my unpasted hanging strops are vintage and in need of restoration. I hand rub mine after each use, and wipe them with a dry clean towel before use. I wipe my blades before stropping. If the strop feels different than normal, I will wipe the surface with a slightly damp cloth then a dry cloth. I re-wipe my blade. This usually restores the expected feel from the strop.

I have a latigo leather strop that has a heavy draw and I see color on a clean towel after wiping. This strop requires periodic damp wipes, the other strops hardly ever. My strops hang from nails in a dry warm closet between uses.

I make pasted strops from Hand American leather contact cemented onto thin flat hardwood boards. When my razors stop responding to the linen and unpasted leather strops as normal, I can usually restore the edge after a few passes on 0.5 um diamond pasted leather followed by wiping and normal stropping on linen and unpasted leather. If this fails, it is time for the stones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom