What's new

Strops, strops, strops....

So I'm new to this. Super new. I bought a Dovo M.O.P razor with all the fancy gold shenanigans about it. I realized although very sharp, it's not ready. Then I got my strop out, I realized then, my strop made by G.B.S., isn't all that great. The brown side is quite rough and wrinkled in parts, also it feels thin and paper, very slick to the touch. I ordered the Illinois 127, rave reviews. Its dented in places, has some scarring. Feels better than the other but I'm not sure I can strop on this with out causing damage to my blades. I sent the pealex handled one off to theperfectedge, my other just a plain black Dovo from straight razor design will be here tomorrow.
So, I want a quality strop. I want one that will last a very long time, that won't come all banged up. I read about Tony Miller, when I checked he was out of stock on the ones that were suggested, the plain Vania and the cheapest one he carries. Are there other options that aren't 350$ Japanese made strops?
I just want to make a smart investment in my shaving routine.

Thanks

I bought a poorman’s strop from Larry at WhippedDog.com. I’m new as well, but it’s a nice piece of leather. It also came with a balsa strop for touch-ups.

So I'm new to this. Super new. I bought a Dovo M.O.P razor with all the fancy gold shenanigans about it. I realized although very sharp, it's not ready. Then I got my strop out, I realized then, my strop made by G.B.S., isn't all that great. The brown side is quite rough and wrinkled in parts, also it feels thin and paper, very slick to the touch. I ordered the Illinois 127, rave reviews. Its dented in places, has some scarring. Feels better than the other but I'm not sure I can strop on this with out causing damage to my blades. I sent the pealex handled one off to theperfectedge, my other just a plain black Dovo from straight razor design will be here tomorrow.
So, I want a quality strop. I want one that will last a very long time, that won't come all banged up. I read about Tony Miller, when I checked he was out of stock on the ones that were suggested, the plain Vania and the cheapest one he carries. Are there other options that aren't 350$ Japanese made strops?
I just want to make a smart investment in my shaving routine.

Thanks

Welcome to the dark side of shaving..... My first strop after my whipped dog poor mans strop was a Straight Razor Designs Roo strop. It is made of thin kangaroo leather and has been a phenomenal performer. I’m pretty sure most any straight razor designs strop will be a quality product. Good luck finding the right one for you!
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome to the forum.

Hard to go wrong with a Tony Miller or a Kanayama. I think the Kanayama 10k is around 120 bucks these days from aframestokyo.

I wouldn't recommend using a nice strop until you have your stropping licks down. All too easy to cut one. Maybe stick with the Illinois strop for now. Those dents/scars can't be worse than the impress that the Solingen makers or old barber's strops have at the ends of their strops.

I can supply photos once I'm home, currently at work. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Against all advice, I started with a WCS strop for about $90 USD. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. And ... I promptly nicked, sliced, and scuffed it beyond all recognition.

I've used an emory board to clean up the worst damage. I lovingly refer to it as my "Frankenstrop". And despite it's looks, it still does what it was designed to do.

They don't have to be works of art.

I don't need it to be super fancy. I just want full utility. My illinois, I think would be okay minis the bumpy scar, and the decent sized dent in the leather. It's almost cupped a little more then half way up to the swivel. If I get it flat, great. But the bumpy scar that's a diagonal line across the face, how would I remedy that? I know it's difficult to say much with out a photo, I won't be able to add one until around 7 am. Ive put some fromm 1907 strop dressing on it, thinking that perhaps being rolled up in a hot water house in a tiny box affected it. But I don't know. A solid strop, made by someone who is quality and utility motivated, is really what I'm looking for. Not brass d rings, and rivets. I will check out the options people have sent. Thanks!

If the bumpy scar is protruding from the surface, you could always lightly sand it with some high-grit wet-dry sandpaper (taking care to remove the residue) or a pumice stone for removing corns. Indented wrinkles shouldn't be much of an inherent problem.

I'd use what you have to learn then get a kanayama. I did something like that and highly recommend it.
SRD has nice ones that aren't terribly expensive.

Two close ups are of Illinois strop. The dent seems thinner than the rest of the material. It's very wavy even when pulled taught. The other is very slick but very flat. I'm torn. I've looked at paddle strops, maybe that would be a better choice for a very flat surface.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Nothing wrong with that strop. The Illinois 127 may not be top quality hide but they still do a fine job.

I couldn't get the wavy-ness well. That won't cause rounding? My concern is, I don't have hones yet, I'm worried about the surface not being very flat because of the cost of sending them off and such. I've been palm rubbing both of them trying to see if that helps. I appreciate all the feedback. If I had a local person that honed razors I wouldn't be so fickle about it. Then of course I have to learn to hone, a whole nother can of worms hahaha.

I have a horween from Griffith shaving goods. It is super nice and not outrageous on price. .also fendrihan had some kanayamas that we're reasonable. GoodlGood

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I will have more Plain Vanilla strops today. Stuff goes in and out of stock daily but is usually back within days

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

I will have more Plain Vanilla strops today. Stuff goes in and out of stock daily but is usually back within days

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
And your site is the well shaved gentleman right?

Top Bottom