What's new

Strops in europe

Hey guys, it's been a long time and a bunch of traveling since I last dipped into using a straight razor. Last I did, I had a poor man's strop from whipped dog which seemed to do the job plenty fine. Given I no longer have that with me, I've got a bit of a dilemma (and questions throughout):
- I'd like to try out the balsa wood as well (with the different surfaces for more serious edge work than a strop), what are your guys' experiences with the balsa wood, do you think it is a good buy, and how/when do you use it?
- Given I assume I will try out the balsa wood, it'd be a bit funky to travel with the strop and wood. I'm not sure I'd have space, and even if I did, I'd be worried about the wood breaking.
- With all this in mind, does anyone know similar, good but cheap and entry-level strop sellers in europe?
- Alternatively, do you feel it'd just be better to get the whipped dog poor man's strop with balsa and get it shipped to europe?

Regardless of the above, if anyone knows shaving/straight razor resources in europe, please let me know!

Herold Solingen is readily available in Europe and Produces quality strops at affordable prices. That would be my recommendation.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I had a little trouble finding what you meant, though. Herold Solingen - http://herold-solingen.de/ is "under construction" at the moment and gives no indication of when it'd be serviceable again. I also found a US based site that sells "herold - solingen" strops (sharpeningsupplies.com), but I assume this isn't what you were referencing?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The balsa wood should be glued onto a piece of plywood so it shouldn't break during your travels. My balsa strops are 300mm x 75mm x 10mm glued onto 8mm thick marine plywood. Still reasonably light and about 18mm in total thickness.

Keep your balsa strops in separate bags so that the different abrasives do not cross contaminate.

Thanks for the tips.
I do think i'm still gonna go with an option where i don't have to worry about transporting a thin piece of wood myself.
Those shops look like some nice options!

Top Bottom