What's new

Stropping sin...or good enough?

Good day, gentleman.

Ever since I started using a straight razor I have been using a strop that I got in a Chinese (ZY) razor kit. It *seems* to do the trick, but I'm certain at best it's just "genuine" leather.

It's thin, has rough leather side and smooth side (I of course use the smooth), along with a strip of canvas and is very easy to strop on. It's the only strop I've ever used so far. Also of note, I've never added any compound. Just a naked stop.

My question is...will this strop do for now? Or am I sinning against my straight razor?

Attachments

• 20170413_095439.jpg
    20170413_095439.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20170413_095426.jpg
    20170413_095426.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20170413_095417.jpg
    20170413_095417.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I'd say, if it's doing the job, it'll do for sure.

~J. Babcock
Foxhole Shavers Club (16yr USAF, currently MSgt OKANG)

Well, that's the thing, Sergeant (was an Airman, NMANG, myself before getting into broadcasting!), I'm *hoping it's doing the trick.

Is there a way to tell for sure?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You can use and compare the edges from any smooth good quality leather. Get a piece from Tandy, etc and use it as a paddle strop, or with due care, strop on your hand or arm.

Cheers, Steve

Sounds good!

Lately I've also been getting my friends into straight blades and wet shaving. Maybe going into to a Tandy is the way to go...I could make a strop or two instead of saying "You'll need to buy a strop..."

I've noticed the warmth of the community here. I've not been a personal beneficiary but I've read multiple threads where some shaving veteran has a spare set of something and let's a rookie borrow or have it. It's an excellent example to set.

Reckon I could follow the example by making some things for newbies like myself.

I've noticed the warmth of the community here. I've not been a personal beneficiary but I've read multiple threads where some shaving veteran has a spare set of something and let's a rookie borrow or have it. It's an excellent example to set.

Reckon I could follow the example by making some things for newbies like myself.

Good idea PrairieWolf. Most of us have plenty of razors that we can loan out to people who want to try straight shaving, but it doesn't do much good without a strop to loan also. This problem is compounded by the fact that one can be reasonably sure that the razor will come back needing a hone at most. Getting the strop back in good condition is less sure.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If the razor shaves okay, it is good for now. You might want to look at Larry's "Rich Man" strop at www.whippeddog.com for a cheap upgrade.

You can easily make your own, and I myself think the best primary strop is a good hanging leather strop. You can make your own. The Gold Daddy Strop! turned out to be a dandy strop, better than any I have bought. I think that the tiny amount of sag in a hanging strop is key to burnishing the apex of the edge. A paddle strop is sort of handicapped for that. A paddle would be better for using paste, though, because it does NOT sag. YMMV of course. Your local saddle shop or hobby shop will have leather. Saddle shop for D rings. Or salvage a couple from an old climbing or safety harness. Or even make them yourself. You can make some good ones out of 1/4" steel or aluminum plate. or stainless steel rod, bent and welded. Whatever. I have found suitable ones on fleabay. Takes a lot of searching to find any that are big enough. I found some at Home Depot... ask for "roof anchors", which are steel straps with a big D ring on each end, bent in the middle for going over the peak of a roof.

Slash...we seem to think alike. I ran off to make a strop and ended doing something similar to yours.

Just a strip of veg tan leather, do rings and Chicago screws. I just stropped a pair of razors on it and we'll see...but it does *seem* to do better than my ZY strop.

Surprisingly easy and as with any craft that works....very satisfying.

Attachments

• 20170415_020456.jpg
    20170415_020456.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20170415_020420.jpg
    20170415_020420.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
Top Bottom