What's new

Stropping Question

Newbie question: When stropping should I always use the linen/cotton first or can I skip that step sometimes. I've been stropping before & after each shave.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Try it and see! I prefer linen on my westerns, a suede component with my kamisori.

Legion

Staff member
Personally I often skip the linen, especially if it is a blade that has been used recently and I know it is clean of micro corrosion, oil, etc. I can't really say I notice a difference.

Yea same here just once in a while. My barber said he only used the canvas when the blade started looking cruddy.

Those who study the history of SR shaving know that the linen was used primarily by barbers who wanted to clean residual "gunk" from the edge of the last client. These were not sterile conditions and skin infections were common. It was viewed as a cleaning step before leather. It has never been proven to sharpen the blade like leather without a paste applied. I think the linen is optional for those of us who do not shave other people. I rarely use linen now and have never noticed any difference from going straight to leather. However, if the linen makes you feel better then I don't think it does any harm provided you are light and loose in your technique.

View attachment 248331

Those who study the history of SR shaving know that the linen was used primarily by barbers who wanted to clean residual "gunk" from the edge of the last client. These were not sterile conditions and skin infections were common. It was viewed as a cleaning step before leather. It has never been proven to sharpen the blade like leather without a paste applied. I think the linen is optional for those of us who do not shave other people. I rarely use linen now and have never noticed any difference from going straight to leather. However, if the linen makes you feel better then I don't think it does any harm provided you are light and loose in your technique.

View attachment 248331

I don't know that I agree. When honing with a Coti the linen sure does add to the sharpness of the edge.

Legion

Staff member
I don't know that I agree. When honing with a Coti the linen sure does add to the sharpness of the edge.

This is true, and I do use it when honing on coticule, and the linen does bring the edge up one step, which is further improved by the leather. BUT, what I am not sure about is if I couldn't get the same result just doing more laps on the leather alone. I need to experiment a bit more. It is hard to tell because there are so many other variables to the edge feel.

View attachment 248331
I like doing research, where can I find information about Sterilization and linen use?

Jake here, just to pile on:a29:

When not buffing out an edge after a coticule hone and using a strop set (linen and leather component) for clean up, drying and straightening the razor's edge, after I'm done with the shave and wipe the blade clean using my damp wash cloth, clean dry hand towel-

I strop approx 20 laps or so on linen (hanging strop) to remove any residual soap/whiskar bits in the nooks and crannies of the edge

Then I go 20 laps or so on leather to make sure the edge is dry, finito and the razor is placed on my home office desktop (away from shave den moisture) back in the current rotation

When I'm ready to shave next time, whatever razor I pull out of my rotation (right now it's a 3 razor rotation), I take it to my leather strop only and go about 40 laps sometimes more/less on leather only. I do not strop on linen at this time as I use the linen strop only to clean the blade before using the leather strop...after the shave

Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom