What's new

Stropping on a leather file folder - pls advise!

So, the strop is still on its way in the mail and I have a couple of these really nice big flat leather file folders in the office.

One is rather hard to the touch and the other one is very soft.

So, how about lying it flat on the desk and doing some laps on either.

Would this work? What should I watch out for?

IMG_20200807_095628.jpg
IMG_20200807_095516.jpg

Contain your excitement and wait for the strop. The trouble with those is the you can’t pull them tight. If you really have to a smooth leather belt with no stitching may work with x pattern stropping. Seriously though, just wait for the strop.

Contain your excitement and wait for the strop. The trouble with those is the you can’t pull them tight. If you really have to a smooth leather belt with no stitching may work with x pattern stropping. Seriously though, just wait for the strop.
Well the strop can take another month or 6 weeks, so... waiting "forever" is not an option, hence the Q.

Of course I have a leather belt, but I'm new to this and well... I'd feel much more comfortable/confident gliding the blade over a big flat surface, then experimenting on a leather belt with X-strokes.

These covers are VERY firm and the leather on the darker one is as tight as it can possibly be, as there is layer of tick cardboard beneath.

So, could it possibly work?

There are lots of things that can work. Your portfolio cover will work. The pants leg of a pair of denim jeans will work. A piece of newspaper folded flat on a table will work.

Newspaper is your best option to be fair, as you only need to catch the stitching to ruin the edge.
Fine, but the Q was if this thing will do. And I do not plan to catch the stiches.

I have heard of the alternatives before - jeans, newspaper, etc... all that's fine, but I am asking about this leather portfolio thing.

Ok, the leather portfolio the leather is very thin not thick enough as a strop, but the choice is yours but remember patience is a virtue you have a strop on order.

But like I said a newspaper is your best option until your strop arrives.

I'd say try it. Then when you get your real strop master that, then after several years you will have enough experience to tell us whether the stropping on a file folder by a novice was a good idea.

My guess is that I could make it work for me, or I would be able to reject it by feel without doing any damage, but I have no idea if it would be a good idea for you.

I've never gotten very much out of newspaper myself. I'd go palm or forearm stropping if it came to that.

I'd say try it. Then when you get your real strop master that, then after several years you will have enough experience to tell us whether the stropping on a file folder by a novice was a good idea.

My guess is that I could make it work for me, or I would be able to reject it by feel without doing any damage, but I have no idea if it would be a good idea for you.

I've never gotten very much out of newspaper myself. I'd go palm or forearm stropping if it came to that.
We'll... it's kind of cynical, isn't it?

You are implying it'll take me years to learn to be able to tell, nonetheless you're recommending I palm / forearm strop... I guess your idea is better to slice if my hand, cut my veins than dull the edge.

Wow, you're a real smart..s

You are implying it'll take me years to learn to be able to tell, nonetheless you're recommending I palm / forearm strop... I guess your idea is better to slice if my hand, cut my veins than dull the edge.

Nobody is telling you that's up to you, I told you it won't work because you will catch the stitching you came back with you won't catch the stitching so now you're telling me that so why ask, as you need to hold the razor to strop it so are you going to hold the razor by the scales. If so then it won't work and if you hold the tang that's where the jimps are then the blade is going to run down the stitching also there is a dip in the leather.

That's why I said the newspaper if you cut it well you lost a sheet of paper, but like I said the choice is yours we can only give you advice. Can I ask do you live in the UK if so I can send you a bit of leather strop to get used to it as you can place it on the table edge,

Oh just to add it's taken me just over a year to be able to strop without cutting the leather.

Oh yes just to add don't strop the Koraat, as it has a shave ready edge as it is. They are shave ready out of the box that will be a good benchmark to use.

Having met Victor (bluesman 7) in person, I can assure you that he is not trying to be cynical. Vic is a bladesmith who produces some fantastic razors and knows how to put a wicked edge on them. He is being realistic. Stropping a straight razor is a skill that is mastered over time. It is quite common for new SR shavers to damage either their first strop or the edge of their razor. If you happen to have superb coordination, you might not have that issue, but my first strop was nicked to the point that I had to replace it. I can now strop without incident, but it took me about a year of practice to get good at it. Even now, I cannot let my mind wander or there will be issues.

Stropping on your palm or forearm or thigh is not as dangerous as you might think. Because of the potential danger, your mind will stay focused on the task. If you lose focus, that is when the problem can occur. If you are unable to glide a straight razor spine first over your skin, how will you ever shave with edge-leading strokes.

Nobody is telling you that's up to you, I told you it won't work because you will catch the stitching you came back with you won't catch the stitching so now you're telling me that so why ask, as you need to hold the razor to strop it so are you going to hold the razor by the scales. If so then it won't work and if you hold the tang that's where the jimps are then the blade is going to run down the stitching also there is a dip in the leather.

That's why I said the newspaper if you cut it well you lost a sheet of paper, but like I said the choice is yours we can only give you advice. Can I ask do you live in the UK if so I can send you a bit of leather strop to get used to it as you can place it on the table edge,

Oh just to add it's taken me just over a year to be able to strop without cutting the leather.
Tnx for the offer, but no worries.

I live on Budapest, Hungary.

Based on Korrat’s reputation, I would not strop it for your first shave. you‘ll get an unadulterated feel for a properly honed razor off that shave. Keep the angle shallow, about a spine’s width.

after that shave, do as you will, but I’d use newspaper to dry and clean the edge.

No. Unless you want a bad shave.

Others offered you alternative solutions, but the direct answer is No.
Tnx.

Would you mind elaborating?

I'm new to all this, so trying to learn as much and as quick as I can.

I think many of the responses will be not to your preference OP, but that doesn't mean you can't try it.

if you try it, make sure you take some of the recs above and stay away from from the stitching that intrude on the honing plane and overlap pieces that also intrude.

Good Luck!

You’re entitled to do what you want with your gear.

you’ve been given pretty clear guidance on best practices by most here, who actually have practical experience, and their own mistakes and growth. I understand your impatience, but it doesn’t make you right or your choice the best practice.

to expand on my previous post, you can shave it once, dry on newspaper, and wait for your strop is my recommendation.

I hope you have a honer lined up going forward.

Top Bottom