What's new

Stropping on a leather file folder - pls advise!

DON'T BUY that strop from the Titan Store on AilExpress. Titan fo not make strops. They badge engineer strops from other manufacturers.

That strop is a good budget strip made in kazakhstan (not China) from calf hide sourced in Kyrgyzstan. You can buy exactly the same on AliExpress for one quarter to one third of the price from other vendors. Look around.

I have about half a dozen of these strops as consumable items. They are very good strops for the correct price. I have reviewed them here.
Hey, thank you so much @rbscebu 👍👍😊. Damn, they indeed look identical, great advice. I guess I now owe you more than a beer when I get down to Cebu lol. Man, dinner's on me!

I have tried lots of substrates for pasted strops. Normally, I want a flat bench strop for pastes rather than a hanging strop, but some people use hanging strops. Either can work. You just have to experiment to see what works for you.

If you get CrOX, be sure you get a paste or spray suitable for razors. The green crayons you get for use on buffing wheels might not be what you want. You want CrOx that specifically states either 0.5 or 0.3 micron.

I use CBN pastes, but CrOx, FeOx, polycrystaline and monocrystaline diamond can all be used. I even have some 2 micron Cerium Oxide that is designed for polishing glass that can work as an initial polishing step, but you need something finer for finishing.
Tnx so much @RayClem, this is great info.

Q - could you by any chance send me a link as to where I can get the .5 / .3/.25 and .1 adequate spray/paste online? Amazon maybe...?

Tnx so much @RayClem, this is great info.

Q - could you by any chance send me a link as to where I can get the .5 / .3/.25 and .1 adequate spray/paste online? Amazon maybe...?

One of the best sources of abrasive sprays is Chef Kinves to Go (CKTG.com).

They carry diamond sprays and pastes and Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) sprays. They also carry balsa strops (great for diamond sprays and pastes) and nano cloth strops (great for CBN).

I have purchased 0.5 micron CBN from Gritomatic on Amazon.

Another reliable vendor is Sharpening Supplies. They carry a variety of hones, strops and stropping compounds including the highly regarded Jende diamond emulsions.

These are some of the sources I have used and can recommend. I am sure there are many others as well.

One of the best sources of abrasive sprays is Chef Kinves to Go (CKTG.com).

They carry diamond sprays and pastes and Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) sprays. They also carry balsa strops (great for diamond sprays and pastes) and nano cloth strops (great for CBN).

I have purchased 0.5 micron CBN from Gritomatic on Amazon.

Another reliable vendor is Sharpening Supplies. They carry a variety of hones, strops and stropping compounds including the highly regarded Jende diamond emulsions.

These are some of the sources I have used and can recommend. I am sure there are many others as well.
Thanks a million, I really appreciate it!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Roger Miller wrote a song that pointed out the folly of this, called "You Cain't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd". Of course he meant you can't strop your razor on a file portfolio. Or a belt. Or a saddle girth. Strop on a strop. That is what they are made for and that is what they are best used for and that is what is best for that usage. NO, please do not use a belt, either! Wait for your strop. Otherwise you may as well drive around with a tiger in your car, or go fishing in a watermelon patch.

When you don't know what to do, do what everyone else does, and you won't be far from right. And what everyone else does is they strop on a strop.

Top Bottom