What's new

Stropping by "feel"

Excellent observations! I strop by both feel and pitch, the pitch gets lower as the edge get smoother. That’s my experience anyway, the only time this hasn’t worked for me is on those Illinois Russian leather strops, the 827 I believe, that’s one rough strop.
I have a Tony Miller roughout horsehide, I'm sure it's softer than the 827 but on some blades it's real tough to hear the sound change. It does start to feel creamier at the end.

Did some work on my 7/8ths with my coticule last night and was very surprised how much the feedback changed during post-hone stropping.

I think for now it will take me more time to consistently feel or percieve any type of feedback change from normal stropping between shaves, but this thread really opened my eyes to the concept and frankly since starting this thread I do feel like my stropping has improved. It's turned something mundane into something a little more interesting (for me).

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Sorry, I have to ask, do differently finished edges, make different sounds with the same strop and razor? Does a more refined edge affect sound and feel?

Sorry, I have to ask, do differently finished edges, make different sounds with the same strop and razor? Does a more refined edge affect sound and feel?
I think so, yes. It's more obvious on firehose. Both the sound and the feel are notably different on the same razor with a different edge. Or even the same edge with more refinement. Then again both the sound and feel change pretty quickly over the course of 20-30 laps on firehose too. It's still subtle but it's there for me.

They razor is slightly different from every other razor. Every strop is different from every other strop. Every edge is different from every other edge.

So yes, the razor feel and response on the strop will different slightly razor to razor, strop to strop, and even edge to edge. It's all part of the fun.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom