What's new

Strop with supporting leaf spring

Hand strop with both canvas and a metal leaf spring
to support leather.

New to me.
Skärmklipp_0.JPGSkärmklipp_1.JPG

The canvas and spring is just a design to support the leather while stropping.

Default the spring actually raise the leather in the middle over the "plane". A normal stropping force will push the leather just down to plain/ straight level.
If that's better than having deflection I don't know.

With normal stropping with a hanging strop the deflection is substantial.

Legion

Staff member
The canvas and spring is just a design to support the leather while stropping.

Default the spring actually raise the leather in the middle over the "plane". A normal stropping force will push the leather just down to plain/ straight level.
If that's better than having deflection I don't know.

With normal stropping with a hanging strop the deflection is substantial.
Oh, ok. I thought the canvas might be for stropping on too. Couldn’t tell from the pics if there was away to expose it.

The bottom leather looks green. Does it have a CrOx coating?

Yes, green paste on the top, left picture.
To restore the strop I have to sand it down and lose the pattern in leather.
Thick leather though, 3.8- 4mm.

The other leather side is more brown/black. Wouldn't surprise me if it has paste too.

I would not sand away the pattern. It was to refresh an edge and is more aggressive than normal leather.
Many Russian strops had the textured leather.

I would not sand away the pattern. It was to refresh an edge and is more aggressive than normal leather.
Many Russian strops had the textured leather.
Either sanding or just keeping it as a bric-a-brac( hope this is the word I mean).

I have an Allegro hone/strop that has springs as well.

Swiss marvel really.
Picture on the Allegro, please.
Do you use it?

Not for me. I hold my hanging strop tight enough and strop with so little pressure that there is almost no deflection in the strop. Works best for me.
Have you made a hanging balsa strop?:a30:

If you rig a mirror or take a film while stropping on hanging leather
you might be in for a surprise.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Have you made a hanging balsa strop?:a30:

If you rig a mirror or take a film while stropping on hanging leather
you might be in for a surprise.
Yes, I have a 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop that I use hanging by holding at one end between my thumb and finger.

As for my normal clean leather hanging strop, I have observed it side on while stropping. It deflects about 10mm to 12mm only in the middle while I'm stropping. I don't consider that amount of deflection "substantial" over a strop of about 500mm length.

Yes, I have a 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop that I use hanging by holding at one end between my thumb and finger.

As for my normal clean leather hanging strop, I have observed it side on while stropping. It deflects about 10mm to 12mm only in the middle while I'm stropping. I don't consider that amount of deflection "substantial" over a strop of about 500mm length.

That's normal or perhaps low with hanging strop.

Compared to a hand hold common length vintage strop
with thick leather it is substantial.

The one in the picture is 190 mm ~ 7.4" leather and wood base.
And it won't deflect half that amount with a rather heavy stropping load without spring support.

Still someone made an effort to design and manufacture with supporting canvas and a blade spring.

There must a benefit to the spring. I strop on a hanger and slack. And I get 100 shaves on a hone with clean leather only. Am I missing something? Because I got rid of my paddle strops long time ago.

Picture on the Allegro, please.
Do you use it?

The Allegro has a spring underneath the hone and not the strop but it serves the same purpose.
Most paddle strops are either suspended under high tension or felt backed for a little flex.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, I use it when I travel for more than a few days. Its a very good hone and strop combo, possibly the best there is.
Most hone/strop combos are not very good with the hone part being subpar on most

my droescher strop has a linen under the leather for tension. No metal spring though. Interesting strop you got there!

my diy convex leather strop, pretty small size though, seems to work fine with the height in the middle.

The Allegro has a spring underneath the hone and not the strop but it serves the same purpose.
Most paddle strops are either suspended under high tension or felt backed for a little flex.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, I use it when I travel for more than a few days. Its a very good hone and strop combo, possibly the best there is.
Most hone/strop combos are not very good with the hone part being subpar on most
Very beautiful strop in excellent condition.
Nice that the hone is a working finisher.
2 blade springs under the hone. Perhaps they were thinking that the hone should be exchangeable.
But then shouldn't the leather be also...
So perhaps another thought.

There must a benefit to the spring. I strop on a hanger and slack. And I get 100 shaves on a hone with clean leather only. Am I missing something? Because I got rid of my paddle strops long time ago.

"I strop on a hanger and slack"
-is it a hanging strop?

100 shaves between honing sounds really good.
Never tested how many I could do.

Top Bottom