What's new

Strop Shoppe Formula 221b

Just saw that Maggard Razors started selling the two Strop Shoppe aftershaves recently, so I made use of my Maggard Edge membership and ordered a bottle of the 221b (along with some Barrister & Mann seasonal samples.) I haven't seen any real reviews of this stuff, so I'm curious to see if any of you guys had tried it yet. I know the scent will be good, but I'm wondering about its effectiveness. Looks like a good list of ingredients. Thanks in advance for any info! I'll be happy to provide my take on it once it gets here, which will be soon knowing Maggard lol.

Just saw that Maggard Razors started selling the two Strop Shoppe aftershaves recently, so I made use of my Maggard Edge membership and ordered a bottle of the 221b (along with some Barrister & Mann seasonal samples.) I haven't seen any real reviews of this stuff, so I'm curious to see if any of you guys had tried it yet. I know the scent will be good, but I'm wondering about its effectiveness. Looks like a good list of ingredients. Thanks in advance for any info! I'll be happy to provide my take on it once it gets here, which will be soon knowing Maggard lol.

The scent of the soap by that name is splendid. The AS is on my wish list.

The ingredients list is encouraging:

Ingredients: Alcohol Denatured (SDA-40B), Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Filet of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Natural and Artificial Fragrance.

The scent of the soap by that name is splendid. The AS is on my wish list.

The ingredients list is encouraging:

Ingredients: Alcohol Denatured (SDA-40B), Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Filet of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Natural and Artificial Fragrance.
I concur. Hopefully it will meet our exceed my expectations, as Strop Shoppe products usually do.

Has anyone received theirs yet? Curious to find out the performance of this aftershave. Baker St. is my favorite scent.

Ordered mine Monday before lunch...arrived yesterday. Kudos Maggard Razors shipping! I don't want to make a determination after only one use, so take this with a grain of salt. The scent is spot on Baker Street. If that's your favorite scent you'll be pleased in that regard. There are a couple of other things that I've noticed however. First, the little "leather" band around the cap is kind of loose to the point where I don't want to unscrew the cap by putting pressure on the leather. It really feels like it might twist right off with the cap. I really like the concept fo this bottle style, but the execution of it is not the greatest IMHO. Second, and more importantly, the ingredient list on the bottle does not match Strop Shoppe's website or Maggard Razors' website. Upon further investigation, the IMAGES that are on Maggard Razors' site are not the same as the listed ingredients either and match what's on my bottle. As previously posted in this thread, here is the "official" ingredients list:

Ingredients:.Alcohol Denatured (SDA-40B), Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Filet of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Natural and Artificial Fragrance.

Ingredients (as listed on actual bottle): SD Alcohol 40B, Spices, Fragrance, Witch Hazel, DL-Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Polysorbate-20

This was a real bummer to me, as I feel like the list that was on the websites sounds like top shelf stuff, but what's in my bottle is mediocre IMHO. I'm considering shooting an e-mail to Maggards to see if they're aware of this discrepancy.

All this being said, it seems like a good product. The scent is fantastic. I only did a one pass shave with my R41 today (as I do every other day so I look presentable,) so it's not the best test of effectiveness if you ask me. I'll try it again on a day where I do my standard 3 pass shave to see how it stacks up against my other splashes.

Ordered mine Monday before lunch...arrived yesterday. Kudos Maggard Razors shipping! I don't want to make a determination after only one use, so take this with a grain of salt. The scent is spot on Baker Street. If that's your favorite scent you'll be pleased in that regard. There are a couple of other things that I've noticed however. First, the little "leather" band around the cap is kind of loose to the point where I don't want to unscrew the cap by putting pressure on the leather. It really feels like it might twist right off with the cap. I really like the concept fo this bottle style, but the execution of it is not the greatest IMHO. Second, and more importantly, the ingredient list on the bottle does not match Strop Shoppe's website or Maggard Razors' website. Upon further investigation, the IMAGES that are on Maggard Razors' site are not the same as the listed ingredients either and match what's on my bottle. As previously posted in this thread, here is the "official" ingredients list:

Ingredients:.Alcohol Denatured (SDA-40B), Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Filet of Aloe Vera), Glycerin (Vegetable), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Citric Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Natural and Artificial Fragrance.

Ingredients (as listed on actual bottle): SD Alcohol 40B, Spices, Fragrance, Witch Hazel, DL-Panthenol, Tocopherol Acetate, Polysorbate-20

This was a real bummer to me, as I feel like the list that was on the websites sounds like top shelf stuff, but what's in my bottle is mediocre IMHO. I'm considering shooting an e-mail to Maggards to see if they're aware of this discrepancy.

All this being said, it seems like a good product. The scent is fantastic. I only did a one pass shave with my R41 today (as I do every other day so I look presentable,) so it's not the best test of effectiveness if you ask me. I'll try it again on a day where I do my standard 3 pass shave to see how it stacks up against my other splashes.

Very helpful, thank you. I'm bummed to hear about the discrepancy between the website and the actual bottle. I was intrigued by the ingredient list and for the price of $23, I thought it was in line with the composition of the aftershave. I'm hoping that 'spices' on the bottle means all the ingredients that are listed on the website, for example: Aloe Barbadensis, Glycerin, Citrus Grandis.

Very helpful, thank you. I'm bummed to hear about the discrepancy between the website and the actual bottle. I was intrigued by the ingredient list and for the price of $23, I thought it was in line with the composition of the aftershave. I'm hoping that 'spices' on the bottle means all the ingredients that are listed on the website, for example: Aloe Barbadensis, Glycerin, Citrus Grandis.
Yeah...I was really disappointed too. When I get a chance I'm gonna e-mail Maggard Razors about it for some clarification. I'm sure that they're just getting the info from Strop Shoppe, but it definitely needs to be remedied. I can't imagine Aloe, Glycerin, and Citrus Grandis falling under "spices," but who knows? Maybe that's the case. I will say that it doesn't FEEL like an aftershave with glycerin in it based on my experience today. It's okay, but may face isn't as supple as it would be with Captain's Choice or something like that.

Update on the situation. I e-mailed Maggard Razors yesterday afternoon and will post their response below. In a nutshell, Strop Shoppe didn't list the ingredients of the Witch Hazel they used (Thayer's Unscented) for their aftershaves on the bottle to conserve space on the label/make it prettier. Not the best decision IMHO, but understandable and forgiveable. FWIW after using Formula 221b after my standard 3 pass shave this morning my face is feeling great. And I noticed this BEFORE I got the e-mail reply from Casie, so no placebo effect, lol. It does seem to have a good amount of alcohol burn. Scent is great though. Hope that my post earlier in this thread hasn't steered anyone away from Strop Shoppe or in particular their aftershaves. Here's the reply:

Hello Daniel, I am sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but I wanted to hear from the Strop Shoppe before I responded. I will paste their response below but the short answer is that the ingredient list on our website includes the ingredients for the witch hazel that is in the product, but to shorten the ingredients on the label the took out the ingredients for the witch hazel to just say "witch hazel" I hope this clears up any confusion.
Hello Casie,

Jason asked me to jump in with the answer to the concern expressed by your customer.

We are not witch hazel experts, and wanted to be sure we included the best witch hazel in our aftershave products. As such, we use a third-party witch hazel product in our aftershave. The specific product is Thayer's Unscented, which is where the full list of ingredients originates.

Where we made the wrong decision was in trying to keep as much of the label for artwork as we could. As we are not actively distributing this product abroad, we chose to condense the components from the Thayer's product into the umbrella term "Witch Hazel". We have made modifications to the artwork for labeling to move the ingredients list to the back of the bottle in future runs as we want to bring this product to a wider geographical area which requires more precise labeling. We have experimented with cutting the ingredients off the bottom of the current label and applying a small label to the back with the ingredients list, but we do not have access to the printing technology to prevent the ink from bleeding/smudging if it is in contact with the product. The labeling of this product requires dual layer laminated labels so that there is a layer on top of the ink which prevents the ink from being damaged by the alcohol in the aftershave.

I understand the confusion, and looking back it was not the best decision as it is inherently confusing. You and your customers can rest assured that the contents of the product is fully represented by the full ingredients list on our website. I apologize for the confusion, and appreciate the feedback.

Thank you,
Kali McLennan, Managing Member
[email protected]

Kind regards,
Casie

Last edited:
Update on the situation. I e-mailed Maggard Razors yesterday afternoon and will post their response below. In a nutshell, Strop Shoppe didn't list the ingredients of the Witch Hazel they used (Thayer's Unscented) for their aftershaves on the bottle to conserve space on the label/make it prettier. Not the best decision IMHO, but understandable and forgiveable. FWIW after using Formula 221b after my standard 3 pass shave this morning my face is feeling great. And I noticed this BEFORE I got the e-mail reply from Casie, so no placebo effect, lol. It does seem to have a good amount of alcohol burn. Scent is great though. Hope that my post earlier in this thread hasn't steered anyone away from Strop Shoppe or in particular their aftershaves. Here's the reply:

Hello Daniel, I am sorry I didnt get back to you sooner but I wanted to hear from the Strop Shoppe before I responded. I will paste their response below but the short answer is that the ingredient list on our website includes the ingredients for the witch hazel that is in the product, but to shorten the ingredients on the label the took out the ingredients for the witch hazel to just say "witch hazel" I hope this clears up any confusion.
Hello Casie,

Jason asked me to jump in with the answer to the concern expressed by your customer.

We are not witch hazel experts, and wanted to be sure we included the best witch hazel in our aftershave products. As such, we use a third-party witch hazel product in our aftershave. The specific product is Thayer's Unscented, which is where the full list of ingredients originates.

Where we made the wrong decision was in trying to keep as much of the label for artwork as we could. As we are not actively distributing this product abroad, we chose to condense the components from the Thayer's product into the umbrella term "Witch Hazel". We have made modifications to the artwork for labeling to move the ingredients list to the back of the bottle in future runs as we want to bring this product to a wider geographical area which requires more precise labeling. We have experimented with cutting the ingredients off the bottom of the current label and applying a small label to the back with the ingredients list, but we do not have access to the printing technology to prevent the ink from bleeding/smudging if it is in contact with the product. The labeling of this product requires dual layer laminated labels so that there is a layer on top of the ink which prevents the ink from being damaged by the alcohol in the aftershave.

I understand the confusion, and looking back it was not the best decision as it is inherently confusing. You and your customers can rest assured that the contents of the product is fully represented by the full ingredients list on our website. I apologize for the confusion, and appreciate the feedback.

Thank you,
Kali McLennan, Managing Member
[email protected]

Kind regards,
Casie

Thanks for the update. I just checked Thayers website, and indeed the discrepancy arises from dropping the witch hazel ingredients. Glad to have the confusion cleared up. I will still purchase this for the scent alone.

Thanks for the update. I just checked Thayers website, and indeed the discrepancy arises from dropping the witch hazel ingredients. Glad to have the confusion cleared up. I will still purchase this for the scent alone.
Glad to pass on the information! I think you'll enjoy it.

Top Bottom