What's new

strop question

my illinois 127 has what looks like a raised line of leather going diagonally across the strop about a quarter up the strop. i can just barely feel it. whatdo i do. it doesnt seem to be dulling the blade any. its a brand new strop

Get out some sandpaper and just sand it down so it's flush. Put the strop on a table and use a sanding block to keep everything flat. Start out around 320 grit and work your way up to 800 or 1000 grit. Lapping film might work as well but it's a lot more expensive than sandpaper.

Is it new? It could be a bit of a crease from being bent up in transit. If you sand it it may settle down and create a dip. Just a thought I had when I read your post. I may be wrong though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Slightly dampen the strop, lay it down on a countertop, and rub hard with a glass bottle. Try that before sanding. I am not a big fan of sanding strops unless it is most painfully needed. After any sanding I like to rub the area with a piece of beeswax and then do the bottle trick, and buff well, with a soft cloth like a piece of an old tshirt. Then I simply use the strop, with a lot of hand rubbing before each use.

Slightly dampen the strop, lay it down on a countertop, and rub hard with a glass bottle. Try that before sanding. I am not a big fan of sanding strops unless it is most painfully needed. After any sanding I like to rub the area with a piece of beeswax and then do the bottle trick, and buff well, with a soft cloth like a piece of an old tshirt. Then I simply use the strop, with a lot of hand rubbing before each use.
799900DF-9288-47CB-B357-4823AAFF87A4.jpeg

Top Bottom