What's new

Strop paste ... best Canadian source?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a Tony Miller paddle strop ... both sides leather; the 'back side' leather is there for a paste to be added.

As I understand the strop paste spectrum, a 0.5 micron paste is pretty good for daily use edge maintenance/finishing, to keep a blade sharp longer in between honings.

That's what I want.

So ... what's the best one to get and where can I get it here in Canada?

I haven't heard of any places within Canada to have it really. Seems like it's yet another one of those things that has to be mailed in. Leevalley does have a honing compound that is CrO with 'added fine abrasives', but I think the general consensus is that it's too rough for stropping. So steer away from that, at least for stropping- it's great for polishing though!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I haven't heard of any places within Canada to have it really. Seems like it's yet another one of those things that has to be mailed in. Leevalley does have a honing compound that is CrO with 'added fine abrasives', but I think the general consensus is that it's too rough for stropping. So steer away from that, at least for stropping- it's great for polishing though!

I'll be in Calgary in a few weeks, and stopping by Lee Valley to drool and spend a bit more than I ought to.

Is this the one you were thinking of? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32984&cat=1,43072
It had been recommended to me before (can't remember who/when/where) so it was the one I was going to get ... I'd be grateful of any opinions about whether or not it's suitable for pasting on a paddle strop.

Yea, that's the paste I was thinking of. I've never used it on a strop, so this is all from advice I've heard from others. It might be useful for sharpening, but from what I've heard it's not as fine as standard CrO paste. I think the issue was that the 'added abrasives' where not named and nor was the approximate grit.

Here's a little bit about the leevalley compound versus others: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/f...834-chromium-oxide-grit-lee-valley-tools.html

I also noticed leevalley has diamond pastes and they list the grit. Depending on the grit those might be handy, but I don't think they are as fine as CrO.

You could always give the green leevalley compound a try on a cheap homemade balsa wood strop (and report back to us!); if it doesn't work out you could use the stuff for polishing razors.

Hope that helps!

The only things I'd get from Lee Valley (for wetshaving) are the nortons, the green paste says it's .5 micron and under, but someone looked on the MSDS and there are larger particles

I checked my package that I just got the other day for polishing/cleaning, and it is no longer labeled as Cro, but "honing compound".

Top Bottom