What's new

Strop Maintanence

I have a used antique strop but haven't used it yet. I wanted to know what needs to be done to a strop to condition it if it hasn't been used in a while. Also it smells a little. I think it is just old leather and possibly had some sort of conditioner applied to it in the past and now has a musty smell. It has a leather strop and a canvas srop that has more texture to it and doesn't look like leather. I am getting set up to use a straight and see if I like straight shaving but I need to know if I should do anything to prep the strop, or at least to get rid of the smell.

I would use neatsfoot oil on the leather, both sides. Rub it in and let it dry, repeat if necessary. That should soften the leather up but it will darken it.

Wash the strop and linen with shaving lather, then rub some strop conditioner (available from www.classicshaving.com, and if your local knife store sells strops they may have it as well) into the leather side and let it dry for a day or two. You can substitute liquid leather conditioner as long as it doesn't have silicone in it.

If the strop is nicked you'll need to rub them out with a pumice stone, then wash out the pumice particles and re-condition the area.

Wow, well that was both unexpected and dissapointing. I don't think I have ever seen leather liquify that quick before.

I scrubbed it with a light duty scouring pad (softer than the pumice and lava soap) with Sweet Almond Oil Shave Soap foam. As soon as the water hit the strop it acted like a sponge sucking up the water and foam. Then the water ran red. I assume it was from the products used to color or tan the strop, or it had been treated in the past. I scrubbed it with the scouring pad and it seemed like it was peeling powdered or liquified leather off. I gave it a couple scrubs on each side and hung it to dry and pray for the best. The canvas strop came through much better. I scrubbed it in the same way and you could actually see the canvas grain coming back where it looked before like it was smooth and clogged with gunk. I checked them this morning and the strop is drying. I have some conditioner on the way but I am thinking it may be beyond repair. I will look closer after work today and see if it has dried. I was hoping to jump into straight shaving with low start up dough till I could see if I liked and would have the time for using a straight. I have a blade and new scales on the way so that end should be good to go but the strop may be another story. I will see when it dries.

:frown:

Hang it there. I would have recommeded a slightly different approach but I've done stuff like that in the past and once dry everything was fine. I like to use waterless hand cleaner like GOOP or GOJO from an automotive store for cleaning of my strops. I like the NEATS FOOT oil idea too. A darker strop sounds cool.

You can always get some leather to strop with.

Let us know what you want to do next. What state are you in? I always try to invite people over to my place so they can try straights out with ALL the best equipment available in one bathroom, without any expense at all.

You might ask Tony Miller if he has any seconds available. He sells them at very good prices. His firsts are priceless, yet inexpensive.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Alan,
All out of seconds right now but I do have a few inexpensive models with new leathers.

I have had mixed results with older strops. Some came back to life easily while other were simply too dry. Once very dry the surface often breaks down. Once any liquid, soap, conditioner, etc... hits it the dry leather just falls apart. I would suggest not sinking more into an older strop than you are willing to lose just in case it's a dud.

Tony Miller

AFDavis11 said:
You can always get some leather to strop with.
QUOTE]

You mean just a leather strip? I was thinking that would be essentally what a strop is but I haven't looked for leather in Miami lately and would have to do some work to find it here.

AFDavis11 said:
You might ask Tony Miller if he has any seconds available. He sells them at very good prices. His firsts are priceless, yet inexpensive.

Do you have contact info for him?

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony Miller said:
Alan,
All out of seconds right now but I do have a few inexpensive models with new leathers.

I have had mixed results with older strops. Some came back to life easily while other were simply too dry. Once very dry the surface often breaks down. Once any liquid, soap, conditioner, etc... hits it the dry leather just falls apart. I would suggest not sinking more into an older strop than you are willing to lose just in case it's a dud.

Tony Miller

I just asked for contact info for you! Here you are.

That is exactly what happened to the strop. It was given to me for the price of shipping and the previous user said he had been using it. I just thought it was a little stiff and had a very bad smell to it so I thought cleaning and treating would be the way to go.

I will check your site. Like I said I don't even know if I will take to a straight or if it will take to me. So I didn't want to go too far into it $$ wise.

Top Bottom