What's new

Strop ID

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any info on this strop. I haven’t seen the brand before. The seller claims it is made by Naomi san. Thank you very much.

D974D3B3-8440-40AC-BB37-25E8D5A8DC10.jpeg
261EC98C-8BED-44F2-BC59-13311BFC191D.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Could very well be, the hardware is right and so is the canvas, canvas cap, and paper sleeve. He also makes/made a cheaper line of strop (thinner, not lower quality) without the gold lettering/emblem at the bottom. Takeshi sold these as a #3 and I have one, great strop. Thinner more flexible leather from younger horses according to the description.

If that‘s what this one is, it’s a nice strop. Should sell in the neighborhood of $100-110.

The seller is asking a bit more for it.. Thank you for the reply Steve.
Could very well be, the hardware is right and so is the canvas, canvas cap, and paper sleeve. He also makes/made a cheaper line of strop (thinner, not lower quality) without the gold lettering/emblem at the bottom. Takeshi sold these as a #3 and I have one, great strop. Thinner more flexible leather from younger horses according to the description.

If that‘s what this one is, it’s a nice strop. Should sell in the neighborhood of $100-110.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Prices have gone up from when I bought my #3, but when he has them in stock, Takeshi sells the 10000 for $119 and this strop was a step ‘up’ from the #3.

#3 and 10,000 are the same quality primary iirc.

#3 was more expensive. It was released at $104. The 10,000 was iirc $90 at the time.

I believe the only difference is the secondary component and the printing on them. (Suede vs canvas)

edit: Apparently according to Naomi san the #3 was "softer/younger" hide. Most people say they can't tell a difference...

Also it seems that the #3 was on average slightly thicker.

Both great strops

It looks like there's new "affordable" options at JNS now...

55 and 77...

55 looks roughly 16" stropping surface leather/linen (sewed together so front/back), 77 ~18" leather/suede

Prices appear ~$80 and ~$95 + shipping...

Anyone know the stories on these?

Last edited:
Thank you! I don’t think either is available... I have been on the lookout for a nice shell strop, alas they are not that widely available..

The 55 and 77 are in stock, but I'd wonder if they are the same quality as other Kanayama's. They also are a bit smaller, and have handles. Anyone have any experience with them?

#3 and 10,000 are the same quality primary iirc.

#3 was more expensive. It was released at $104. The 10,000 was iirc $90 at the time.

I believe the only difference is the secondary component and the printing on them. (Suede vs canvas)

edit: Apparently according to Naomi san the #3 was "softer/younger" hide. Most people say they can't tell a difference...

Also it seems that the #3 was on average slightly thicker.

Both great strops

It looks like there's new "affordable" options at JNS now...

55 and 77...

55 looks roughly 16" stropping surface leather/linen (sewed together so front/back), 77 ~18" leather/suede

Prices appear ~$80 and ~$95 + shipping...

Anyone know the stories on these?
I am in the E.U., so have to pay VAT and shipping. LOL
Makes it a bit more expensive...

Top Bottom